Advocating Carlos Pena for 1B in 2012

Enjoy Terror

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think my idea is a terrible idea, so no... it doesn't belong in Frobby's thread.

Raul Ibanez is a washed up player and a bad idea. Pena is not.

In no way should he get any playing time over Chris Davis.

Davis may be nothing but he also may be our Bautista or Ortiz. They could get very lucky with him and he should get the playing time to show it and a guy like Pena shouldn't get in his way...and before you say, well we have the DH...That's true but Davis is actually very good defensively at first, so I would rather him be in the field.

Davis may be nothing but he also may be our Bautista or Ortiz. They could get very lucky with him and he should get the playing time to show it and a guy like Pena shouldn't get in his way...and before you say, well we have the DH...That's true but Davis is actually very good defensively at first, so I would rather him be in the field.

Or even our Pena. :laughlol:

I agree with this 100%.

Pena had a higher OBP, OPS, and OPS+ than any Oriole last season. He would have been 3rd in home runs and 4th in SLG. However, he would have been next-to-last in batting average and had the second most strikeouts (behind who? ;)).

I'll take Mark Reynolds for $500 Alex.

Agreed. We need to see what we have with Davis....if anything.

I don't think my idea is a terrible idea, so no... it doesn't belong in Frobby's thread.

Raul Ibanez is a washed up player and a bad idea. Pena is not.

I just don't think Pena works well in our lineup with Reynolds and Davis already presumably in it. That's a ton of strikeouts. Now, if Pena is going to come fairly cheaply and he's willing to platoon, then I wouldn't have a huge problem with his signing, but I doubt Pena is signing with a last place team under these terms. As SG pointed out, the Orioles need to give Chris Davis 500 at bats and see what he gives you. He's young enough and has shown enough promise in AAA that he still might be a late bloomer kind of guy who can have an impact. Right now, we still have a DH spot open so that means Pena could still have a spot, if he's willing to platoon.

So I'll take back my comment that this is horrible idea, I just doubt it will happen because I think Pena is going to sign somewhere where he can be an every day 1B, and that should not be Baltimore.

The strikeout argument seems fallacious, given his on base percentage. He would have led the team for being on base. Isn't that more important?

It's not because you don't want too many strikeout guys on your lineup. The Orioles will have two big strikeout guys in Reynolds and Davis next year and they probably don't want to add a third. You can't have too many guys who frequently whiff or you will end up leaving a lot of guys on base.

Obviously getting on base is huge and Pena walks a ton, which is a good thing, but I do have concerns of adding another 150+ strikeout/ low average guy to a lineup that includes Reynolds and Davis already.

Archived