Milledge Traded to Nats

Birds08

I want to say three times already before this one. :eek:

Before I post a new thread, I scan at leats the first page of threads to check and see if a similar thread exists. Lo and behold just 10 threads down there is a "MOVED: Milledge Traded to Nats" Thread. Unsolicited friendly advice. Helps to keep the work of the mods to a minimum. :):);)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an Orioles Angle, I will repost what I posted in the MLB thread...

I just heard an interview with Omar on WFAN out of NY. It is a done deal.

One interesting thing that was said in the interview (I am paraphrasing here)was that he (Omar) went to both Baltimore and Oakland first to see if they had any intrest in Milledge. Both said no. :confused: He said they needed a catcher badly.

From an Orioles Angle, I will repost what I posted in the MLB thread...

I just heard an interview with Omar on WFAN out of NY. It is a done deal.

One interesting thing that was said in the interview (I am paraphrasing here)was that he (Omar) went to both Baltimore and Oakland first to see if they had any intrest in Milledge. Both said no. :confused: He said they needed a catcher badly.

Perhaps the o's just decided they really have no choice but to keep Ramon for now as they dont have a replacement. We already dont have a CFer. I am not sure you want to be set up to be without a CF and a catcher.

Macphail better have something up his sleeve, and I guess it's possible that he does. I think we would all be jumping for joy if we had pulled off a package centered around Ramon for Milledge.

He better have something huge up his sleeve. I can't put into words how upset this makes me. I'm fuming at the fact that we had a chance to acquire a potential left fielder we would target in a Bedard trade without using one of our major trading chips. I don't know what else to say except that I'm angry. Seemingly more so than most everyone else.

Perhaps the o's just decided they really have no choice but to keep Ramon for now as they dont have a replacement. We already dont have a CFer. I am not sure you want to be set up to be without a CF and a catcher.

That makes no sense. Milledge would have immediately plugged our CF hole and Hernandez has no future with this team. His production could be nearly or completely matched for a year or two on the cheap via several options. This is all really baffling to me.

That makes no sense. Milledge would have immediately plugged our CF hole and Hernandez has no future with this team. His production could be nearly or completely matched for a year or two on the cheap via several options. This is all really baffling to me.

Isnt Milledge a LFer? Then who catches? Bring back Bako? LoDuca?

I am all for moving Ramon and I really like Milledge but I assume there has to be something more to this story?

I am all for moving Ramon and I really like Milledge but I assume there has to be something more to this story?

Milledge is definitely a CF. From ESPN.com's down on the farm:

Scouting report

Milledge is an excellent athlete, owner of all five of the baseball tools. His speed and strength both rate as much better than average. On offense, he generates excellent bat speed due to lightning-quick wrists. He shows power to all fields, and his home run production should increase as he matures. There was some concern about his ability to hit with wooden bats, but he hit well enough last year to ease those worries. Defensively, Milledge features a right field arm and center field range. He does not always run good routes, but he has enough speed to outrun most mistakes of judgement. His speed also plays well on the bases, and he should be good for 20-plus steals annually. For all his talents, Milledge does have some weaknesses. His plate discipline is unimpressive, and he will chase pitches outside the strike zone too frequently. He has enough bat speed that this didn't hurt him much in the Sally League, but it may be an issue at higher levels. He can be inconsistent with the glove, and will have to show that he doesn't just rely on his natural ability to cover for lack of polish. In high school, Milledge was dogged by an allegation of inappropriate sexual activity with a female minor. But no charges were ever filed, and the Mets had no qualms about signing him after conducting their own investigation into the matter. Milledge's work ethic and attitude in pro ball have been just fine.

He is listed by almost everyone as the Mets most athletic prospect.

And who cares who catches? We can sign a one year stop gap until Wieters is ready. Ramon Hernandez is not an integral part of our potential success and we should be looking further than just next year.

I agree that something has to be up that we don't know about for this to make any sense. But, then again, the Orioles have a history of doing things that make absolutely no sense to me.

He better have something huge up his sleeve. I can't put into words how upset this makes me. I'm fuming at the fact that we had a chance to acquire a potential left fielder we would target in a Bedard trade without using one of our major trading chips. I don't know what else to say except that I'm angry. Seemingly more so than most everyone else.

Knowing that the A's (and possibly Twins) passed up on Milledge makes me feel a lot better. I highly doubt the Mets would make another Kazmir-esque mistake.

Milledge is definitely a CF. From ESPN.com's down on the farm:

He is listed by almost everyone as the Mets most athletic prospect.

I always thought he played LF atleast when he was up with the big team. My bad....well I guess I dont really have any excuses left for them!

Archived