Rosenthal: O's and A's are teams most interested in Manny Ramirez

ChaosLex

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what I saw of Manny the first week of last season when we played Tampa, he is toast. If he didn't have all the baggage, it would be OK with me to sign him to a minor league deal in case I'm wrong in my assessment. But I really don't want to be associated with the guy. I'd hate this move.

The only negative I see is the strong possibility that Manny is an unproductive circus sideshow that reinforces the belief that the Orioles are not only dumb, but also insane, while costing the franchise several $million that a decent organization would have used for something less ridiculous.

Part of me actually wants the O's to sign a veteran bat that might be able to mentor them. We really have nobody on this team, save Roberts and maybe Hardy, that can mentor our young players on the approach at the plate. Davis, Jones, Wieters, Reimold and Markakis could particularly benefit.

For this reason, I've actually supported getting a Matsui/Thome/Manny/Damon type in the past (not a swing happy player like Vlad). I certainly don't want it to cost millions, and I'd rather not have the headaches that Manny might bring. Still, I could see some value in one of these guys if the prices was close to league minimum and the player embraced that role on this team.

Personally, I have always liked Manny. I think the guy is entertaining as hell.

I just think its a dumb signing because he really has no place on the team and he shouldn't take at bats away from guys like Davis, Reynolds and Reimold.

Completely agree. I have always said that I would kill to have Manny on this team. But not THIS Manny.

Still, what if he would take a minor league deal? (devil's advocate)

Personally, I have always liked Manny. I think the guy is entertaining as hell.

I just think its a dumb signing because he really has no place on the team and he shouldn't take at bats away from guys like Davis, Reynolds and Reimold.

I think the guy in line to lose the most at bats would be Wilson Betemit, and I'm not going to get bent out of shape about that.

Completely agree. I have always said that I would kill to have Manny on this team. But not THIS Manny.

Still, what if he would take a minor league deal? (devil's advocate)

He looked done in Tampa last year.

He looked done in Chicago the year before.

What are the odds he isn't done?

You know, I don't think anybody here really knows for sure whether Manny is done. I know that I've always liked him as a player and I wouldn't mind watching him play for the Orioles. If it's a low salary move, I trust Duquette to do the right thing. You might have some success platooning him with Betemit at the DH position. At this point, I'm sure Manny is not a full-time player but he might be effective in a limited role.

You know, I don't think anybody here really knows for sure whether Manny is done. I know that I've always liked him as a player and I wouldn't mind watching him play for the Orioles. If it's a low salary move, I trust Duquette to do the right thing. You might have some success platooning him with Betemit at the DH position. At this point, I'm sure Manny is not a full-time player but he might be effective in a limited role.

This is about where I am. I've never liked Manny Ramirez, but if he is going to be very cheap and isn't taking at bats away from anyone important, then why not? I won't be excited at all, but it would be hard for me to get angry about it. This team is too laughable to get mad at anymore.

He put up a .319 slugging with the Sox in '10. He looked terrible despite taking PEDs in Tampa in '11.

He quit on his team last year.

He is done.

Who do you want to kick off the roster for Manny?

At least Betemit can put on a glove and act like an infielder.

I know the O's are bottom fishing but can't you take a chance with Ibanez,Matsui or Ordonez. Why do the O's go to the very bottom of the ocean and for a guy who will miss 50 games. Are we running a freak show circus> Step right up and see Manny the Pedo man.
If you can sign Maggs to a MiL contract, then why not? The issue IMO is having the option of keeping one of Flaherty or Miller and not losing a lot of money if you do. They want a RH bat for a 15O-200 PA in platoon with Betemit.

He put up a .319 slugging with the Sox in '10. He looked terrible despite taking PEDs in Tampa in '11.

He also had a .420 OBP in Chicago and a .409 OBP for the 2010 season. I'm not saying I want Manny - in fact, I don't want him at all - I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Archived