I can't remember a year when there was less buzz about the start of spring training

Frobby

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120211&content_id=26659652&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

Depth, in fact, can characterize the very nature of the Orioles' offseason, with the club adding a wealth of arms -- although no frontline starters -- to help foster competition this spring. External skepticism still abounds as to whether Baltimore is ready to compete in the American League East, but Duquette has gone on record several times to say this year's club will be .500 or better.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Feb ST is always boring anyway. Just the same cliches over and over again.

I know what you're saying, but it's not like the last couple of months have been the epitome of excitement. I'd rather hear Brad Bergesen blather on about something than have another discussion of why we didn't sign this player or that one and why all the guys we did sign suck. Like I said, I'm just ready for a change of topic.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120211&content_id=26659652&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal
Depth, in fact, can characterize the very nature of the Orioles' offseason, with the club adding a wealth of arms -- although no frontline starters -- to help foster competition this spring. External skepticism still abounds as to whether Baltimore is ready to compete in the American League East, but Duquette has gone on record several times to say this year's club will be .500 or better.

I should have copyrighted my name...

I know what you're saying, but it's not like the last couple of months have been the epitome of excitement. I'd rather hear Brad Bergesen blather on about something than have another discussion of why we didn't sign this player or that one and why all the guys we did sign suck. Like I said, I'm just ready for a change of topic.

Frobby, you have been on this site for a long time.

Essentially, there has never been a change in topic over the last 10 years. Yea, we have had a change in players' names, expectation levels, etc...But essentially, every year has just been a re-hash of the previous year.

The only difference is that some have decided to open their eyes more over the years and there isn't as much debate over how good or bad the team is.

14 years will do that to a man, Frobby. A pretty quiet offseason will do that too.

If the O's are terrible this year, and there's no reason to think they won't be, the Yard is going to be an empty, empty place when the Yanks and Red Sox aren't in town.

You think we've reached a low point? I think this season could be another year of low points, on and off the field.

Sadly, I have to agree. This off season couldn't have been any more disappointing. So where are we as we approach the 2012 season? With apologies to B. Pitt:

There are rich teams, and there are poor teams. Then there's 50 feet of crap. And then there's Oakland. If you go another 50 feet, then there's the Os.

The Plan: Go with two AAA teams... Norfolk & OPCY.

A "wealth" of arms. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess many, many long reliever fringe starter types could be considered a "wealth". On some planet somewhere.

Yea, I love how they continue to use the word depth...Depth implies talent, tough decisions, etc....The Orioles have brought on a lot of warm bodies with the ability to throw the ball from a mound 60'6" away from the plate.

Essentially, there has never been a change in topic over the last 10 years. Yea, we have had a change in players' names, expectation levels, etc...But essentially, every year has just been a re-hash of the previous year.

The only difference is that some have decided to open their eyes more over the years and there isn't as much debate over how good or bad the team is.

Call me a fool, but I'm a baseball fan because I like to.....watch baseball. I'd rather talk about how Kevin Gregg just blew another 9th inning lead than talk about how the O's once again failed to make a serious bid for Player X. That's just how I'm wired. Even when the team stinks I can find interesting things to watch during a game, and interesting story lines during a season. Interesting to me, anyway.

But I have to say, I can't remember a year when there was less buzz about it.

1953. Would Putsy Caballero, Stan Jok, Cuddles Marshall, and Howie Fox lead our boys to the IL title, or would the Phils call them all up before we have a chance? Could Ted Kazanski keep it together long enough to explode on the league?

No, I'm not that old. Maybe El Gordo remembers Putsy and Cuddles.

I'm as critical as the next poster on how the organization is run, but as a baseball fan, I'm starting to excited that baseball will be back soon.

And it's not just about the *ifs* (If Markakis can rediscover his power stroke, If Matusz velocity returns...)

I'm excited to see Adam Jones run a ball down in the gap.

I'm excited to see Matt Wieters throw a laser to 2nd base.

I'm excited to hear reports of Bundy popping the catcher's mitt and how he may be ready for the show next year.

I'm excited to see Reynolds launch a light tower home run.

Every thread does not need to come back to how the O's are run as an organization. I get what Frobby is saying - aren't we supposed to be looking forward to baseball again?

There are so many unknowns this year. I really don't know whether to be excited or terrified. Exciting or not, at the very least it's going to be interesting. I'll be headed down to spring training in a few weeks and I'm, dare I say it, excited to see the likes of Chen, Wada, Hammel, Matusz, Arrieta et al.

I think a lot hinges on Chen and Wada. If we find out in ST that these guys can't pitch at the MLB-level (which, BTW, would not surprise me a bit), Lord help us. Hammel, Eveland, Matusz, oh my.

Archived