Oriole fans opinion of Mike Mussina

Dexter Morgan

I believe HOF allows players to choose if it's close call. They just don't want guys like Wade Boggs picking the Rays of all teams. If he gets in I suspect they will let him pick the O's or Yankees same for Mike Piazza with the Dodgers and Mets.

The player's wishes are considered, but the HOF makes the final call. Andre Dawson wanted to go in as a Cub (where he spent 6 years), but the HOF overruled him and had him go in as an Expo (11 years).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mussina is a weirdo. Was not very fan friendly from what I observed. Just an odd duck. When he went to the Yankees he became nothing but an afterthought. Could care less if he gets in the HOF. And I was elated he didnt get a ring while in NY!

If Gammons was indeed talking about him then he was a bit more then an odd duck.

I think he was a heck of a pitcher and from what I understand not much in the way of a person.

I would have had no problem with him going to the Yankees if he had not first given his word that the O's would be able to match any offer and then go back on that word.

I don't think he gets into the hall without a long wait considering the currently forming backlog due to steroids.

Sure put him in the O's HoF, it will be worth it to see if he shows up.

My personal opinion is that Mussina is the best Orioles pitcher I ever saw. I saw Palmer pitch but it was toward the end of his career so Mussina was #1 for me. I think he is similar to Markakis in that people were never happy that he was not a leader for the others in the clubhouse and the pitching staff. It is my firm belief that Angelos screwed this one completely and I think everyone here would have done something similar (except go to the Yankees.) As to Mussina the person. Anybody follow what he did with his time in the offseason with his hometown? Anybody remember when the plane went down from NYC and the time and money he donated in his hometown. Please don't take the hatred for what he did professional as an Orioles fan and crucify the man's personal life. He was and probably still is a great citizen. I have nothing but resepect for the Moose and still rue the day the Orioles let him go. Also as a kid I hated when the Orioels let Murray go, but that is another issue.

My personal opinion is that Mussina is the best Orioles pitcher I ever saw. I saw Palmer pitch but it was toward the end of his career so Mussina was #1 for me. I think he is similar to Markakis in that people were never happy that he was not a leader for the others in the clubhouse and the pitching staff. It is my firm belief that Angelos screwed this one completely and I think everyone here would have done something similar (except go to the Yankees.) As to Mussina the person. Anybody follow what he did with his time in the offseason with his hometown? Anybody remember when the plane went down from NYC and the time and money he donated in his hometown. Please don't take the hatred for what he did professional as an Orioles fan and crucify the man's personal life. He was and probably still is a great citizen. I have nothing but resepect for the Moose and still rue the day the Orioles let him go. Also as a kid I hated when the Orioels let Murray go, but that is another issue.

Who else could Gammons have been talking about in that Rocker article?

Who else, in 2000, could be described as "One of the game's best pitchers, a sophisticated, intellectual graduate of one of the world's finest universities"?

Anyway I stated that I am fine with him in the O's HoF and that I don't blame him for changing teams, just for going back on his stated word.

At the time I was pretty mad. I was actually more upset that he went to the Yankees and not the sox. I couldn't understand why he would be just another Yankee instead of opting to be what Schilling became in Boston. But he should be a HOFer and go in as an Oriole. Given what has become of the Orioles since his departure can you blame him? He was lucky enough to get out.

Archived