Oriole fans opinion of Mike Mussina

Dexter Morgan

Hello. I'm a Yankee fan. I come in peace. I signed up here to get a feel of how the Oriole fan base see their old right hander. I'm sure when he first left for the Yankees of all teams the feelings toward him were pretty negative. But has time and his retirement help mend those feelings? In 2014 Mussina will be Hall of Fame eligible. I think he belongs.. though it may take 4 or 5 years. If he does get in would you want him to go in as an Oriole or does that not matter to you anymore? Also.. has he ever been invited back to Camden?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello. I'm a Yankee fan. I come in peace. I signed up here to get a feel of how the Oriole fan base see their old right hander. I'm sure when he first left for the Yankees of all teams the feelings toward him were pretty negative. But has time and his retirement help mend those feelings? In 2014 Mussina will be Hall of Fame eligible. I thin he belongs.. though it may take 4 or 5 years. If he does get in would you want him to go in as an Oriole or does that not matter to you anymore? Also.. has he ever been invited back to Camden?
Welcome. We do not like your kind.

I do not care for Mike anymore, though at one time, before George bought him, he was a beautiful thing.

So no, he does not need to go in, and he already made his choice on his preference in caps should he be so fortunate.

Hello. I'm a Yankee fan. I come in peace. I signed up here to get a feel of how the Oriole fan base see their old right hander. I'm sure when he first left for the Yankees of all teams the feelings toward him were pretty negative. But has time and his retirement help mend those feelings? In 2014 Mussina will be Hall of Fame eligible. I thin he belongs.. though it may take 4 or 5 years. If he does get in would you want him to go in as an Oriole or does that not matter to you anymore? Also.. has he ever been invited back to Camden?

Our owner is Peter Angelos. He wouldn't even spring for the airfare back to Baltimore, let alone an apology:)

To answer the question, we are still sore on the subject but that is because we haven't won in 15 years and Angelos is our owner with no light at the end of the tunnel.

It would be nice to see him retire as an Oriole, but that isn't going to happen. No, he was never invited back to Camden.

This has been discussed many times on this board and people are very passionate one way or the other. Some folks feel that Mussina is the second biggest traitor in history behind Judas Iscariot, others think Angelos is at fault for not treating him fairly and letting him get away.

I'm firmly in the latter camp. I have nothing but respect and affection for Mussina, who at worst is the second-best pitcher ever to spend the majority of his career in an Orioles uniform, and arguably he is the best (but let's not rehash that debate now). I'd love to see him in the Hall of Fame and yes, I'd want him wearing an Orioles cap, though I doubt that's what he wants or what the Hall of Fame would do.

Arguably the greatest Orioles pitcher ever.

Should go into the HOF as an Oriole...Should be a first ballot HOFer...Should be welcomed back with open arms...Should be inducted into Orioles HOF asap.

Yea, he went to the Yankees...but only after PA dropped the ball and screwed everything up.

I have zero issues with Moose.

This has been discussed many times on this board and people are very passionate one way or the other. Some folks feel that Mussina is the second biggest traitor in history behind Judas Iscariot, others think Angelos is at fault for not treating him fairly and letting him get away.

I'm firmly in the latter camp. I have nothing but respect and affection for Mussina, who at worst is the second-best pitcher ever to spend the majority of his career in an Orioles uniform, and arguably he is the best (but let's not rehash that debate now). I'd love to see him in the Hall of Fame and yes, I'd want him wearing an Orioles cap, though I doubt that's what he wants or what the Hall of Fame would do.

I agree with everything here, except the "Moose is better than Palmer" suggestion.

I love Moose, even though he left for the enemy. Looking back, can any of us blame him?

Fortunately the Hall selects which cap he'll don. He will definitely get in, and I think it'll be as an O. His career stats are shades better as an O, except for playoff wins ;)

I believe HOF allows players to choose if it's close call. They just don't want guys like Wade Boggs picking the Rays of all teams. If he gets in I suspect they will let him pick the O's or Yankees same for Mike Piazza with the Dodgers and Mets.

I don't understand the anger towards Mussina. It was Angelos' doing.

Exactly, there is no debate or controversy. Mussina waited and waited and gave the O's chance after chance and he finally just gave up like anyone else would. In fact, he gave the Orioles a tons of chances.

One constant theme=Angelos. Imagine that.

I think he was a heck of a pitcher and from what I understand not much in the way of a person.

I would have had no problem with him going to the Yankees if he had not first given his word that the O's would be able to match any offer and then go back on that word.

I don't think he gets into the hall without a long wait considering the currently forming backlog due to steroids.

Sure put him in the O's HoF, it will be worth it to see if he shows up.

Archived