Jim Duquette's comments on the orioles this morning.

atomic

I think his comments on the pitchers are too extreme. Maybe nobody is above a no. 3, but I think it will be significantly better than a pack of 4's and 5's. And, I think our 4th/5th spots will be better than a lot of teams'.

Reynolds has flaws, but a team with 9 Mark Reynolds in the lineup would score 5.2 runs per game. To say he's not a major league hitter is silly.

I'm also going to take atomic's summary of Duquette's remarks with a grain of salt, considering that atomic is a very negative poster and probably picked out what he wanted to hear. Then again, if Duquette actually said we were a 95+ loss team, that's pretty negative.

I am not a negative poster I am a realistic poster. I say good things about Markakis, Wieters, and Andino. The team is bad so if speak the truth you are going to think it is negative as you don't see things as they are.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Reynolds is far from a perfect hitter. However, to say he is not a major league hitter is absolutely ridiculous and another example of how Jim Duquette knows very little in constructive baseball analysis. He strikes out a lot, but he takes a lot of pitches, takes a good amount of walks despite his strikeouts, and bashes homers and provides power that never goes out of style in any league or lineup. If he didn't provide power I'd be more inclined to agree with him, but Duquette is way off base with his assessment.

I think his comments on the pitchers are too extreme. Maybe nobody is above a no. 3, but I think it will be significantly better than a pack of 4's and 5's. And, I think our 4th/5th spots will be better than a lot of teams'.

Reynolds has flaws, but a team with 9 Mark Reynolds in the lineup would score 5.2 runs per game. To say he's not a major league hitter is silly.

I'm also going to take atomic's summary of Duquette's remarks with a grain of salt, considering that atomic is a very negative poster and probably picked out what he wanted to hear. Then again, if Duquette actually said we were a 95+ loss team, that's pretty negative.

This

Also, your point on Reynolds is spot on.

If you've ever heard JD on MLB radio he's very snarky and dismissive about anything the Orioles do. Seems quite jaded after being dismissed here when AM was brought in. I'm not saying things aren't a mess with the rotation. But his comments on Matusz and Reynolds are off base.

I am not a negative poster I am a realistic poster. I say good things about Markakis, Wieters, and Andino. The team is bad so if speak the truth you are going to think it is negative as you don't see things as they are.

The team is bad. You are on record as saying they will win 64 or fewer games. To me that is too negative. It is certainly a minority opinion, and I don't just mean on this website. No point in arguing about it, though, with the 162 games right in front of us. We'll see what happens and at the end of the year, if you are correct, you can say you told me so.

Mark Reynolds is far from a perfect hitter. However, to say he is not a major league hitter is absolutely ridiculous and another example of how Jim Duquette knows very little in constructive baseball analysis. He strikes out a lot, but he takes a lot of pitches, takes a good amount of walks despite his strikeouts, and bashes homers and provides power that never goes out of style in any league or lineup. If he didn't provide power I'd be more inclined to agree with him, but Duquette is way off base with his assessment.

The guy asking him the questions asked him if Reynolds is a #4 hitter he said a #4 hitter should be able to have power and get on base a lot. He said he would strike out all the time and leave people on base. He said reynolds is frustrating as #7 hitter with all his strike outs and it would be much more frustrating as a #4 hitter. He said if Reynolds was on a hot streak you could move him to #6 if he was cold move him to #8. Now I have said everything he mentioned so no one can say I was picking and chosing what to say.

To an extent...but you aren't very knowledgable either.

Its a dangerous combo.

The team is bad. You are on record as saying they will win 64 or fewer games. To me that is too negative. It is certainly a minority opinion, and I don't just mean on this website. No point in arguing about it, though, with the 162 games right in front of us. We'll see what happens and at the end of the year, if you are correct, you can say you told me so.

I would rather you be right than me telling you I told you so. But I am just telling you how I see things.

One of the better features of OH's control panel is the "ignor list".

So he's saying all our pitchers suck except for Simon who we let go. :rofl:

He's right about our pitching staff though. Our entire rotation is filled with question marks. We need divine intervention.

There is no doubt about that.

However, considering who the messenger is, we don't really know if Duq was saying anything else, if he felt that this was the ceiling for those guys or just what to expect this year.

Atomic isn't even a remotely credible source of info for anything right now, so who knows.

To an extent...but you aren't very knowledgable either.

Its a dangerous combo.

I am more knowledgable than you. You don't even know the real WAR of pitchers. You use some simplistic stat for pitchers instead of using the Baseball reference standard which is much more complex and pertinent stat.

There is no doubt about that.

However, considering who the messenger is, we don't really know if Duq was saying anything else, if he felt that this was the ceiling for those guys or just what to expect this year.

Atomic isn't even a remotely credible source of info for anything right now, so who knows.

Provide one instance where I ever said anything that wasn't true when reporting what others have said?

One of the better features of OH's control panel is the "ignor list".

You are going to put me on ignore for reporting what someone in the press and a former GM said? I guess this is an example of killing the messenger.

Archived