Ozzie Guillen says he loves Castro and respects and likes Hugo Chavez. Marlins denounce Castro.

Gurgi

I've only read the comments second-hand (in the reaction articles today). It is also very shaky territory to try to get into the brain of a normal person, let alone someone borderline clinically insane like Ozzie Guillen :P. However, the way I read what he said is that he "respects" Castro because he has lasted for so long despite numerous (if not constant) attempts to remove him from office politically and from existence personally. Considering Guillen's tenure in Chicago I can completely see where he is coming from if that really was the intent of his statement.

Considering the audience and the differences demographically between Chicago and Miami, though, even an optimistic take on the situation doesn't eliminate his stupidity in saying this :laughlol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've only read the comments second-hand (in the reaction articles today). It is also very shaky territory to try to get into the brain of a normal person, let alone someone borderline clinically insane like Ozzie Guillen :P. However, the way I read what he said is that he "respects" Castro because he has lasted for so long despite numerous (if not constant) attempts to remove him from office politically and from existence personally. Considering Guillen's tenure in Chicago I can completely see where he is coming from if that really was the intent of his statement.

Considering the audience and the differences demographically between Chicago and Miami, though, even an optimistic take on the situation doesn't eliminate his stupidity in saying this :laughlol:

That's basically how I saw it as well. I get what he was trying to say and it makes sense, to an extent, but it's definitely a bad idea to discuss anything like that in Miami. It'll be interesting to see the backlash from this, Loria has to be a nervous-wreck at this point.

Some of us make a concerted effort to keep politically charged rhetoric off these boards.
Yeah I did notice that you went through some effort to say your piece without saying it. Oh well. Isn't it a politically charged topic to begin with?

If I own the Marlins, I'm pretty darn angry about this. I'm not sure you fire him...but, if your fan base is really irate over this - you just might have to. I don't see any "sincere" way to get past this. I'm sure he can make some empty statements in his press conference today about how he didn't mean it this way blah blah blah. But when it all comes down to it, Ozzie is an idiot who believe he's full of insightful rhetoric.

If I own the Marlins, I'm pretty darn angry about this. I'm not sure you fire him...but, if your fan base is really irate over this - you just might have to. I don't see any "sincere" way to get past this. I'm sure he can make some empty statements in his press conference today about how he didn't mean it this way blah blah blah. But when it all comes down to it, Ozzie is an idiot who believe he's full of insightful rhetoric.
The funny thing is how he said the one thing you can't say in a town dominated by Cuban expats. The other funny thing is this kind of thing is exactly what Ozzie Guillen does. The Marlins wanted him, they got him. :laughlol:

The funny thing is how he said the one thing you can't say in a town dominated by Cuban expats. The other funny thing is this kind of thing is exactly what Ozzie Guillen does. The Marlins wanted him, they got him. :laughlol:

Now that I agree with. Any other MLB town his quote is a throw away line tagged onto the end of a piece.

Miami, it might very well get him fired.

Now that I agree with. Any other MLB town his quote is a throw away line tagged onto the end of a piece.

Miami, it might very well get him fired.

Apparently he's been suspended for 5 games by the Marlins (per Sports Talk 980).

Ozzie has been suspended five games by the Marlins, with an MLB investigation now underway after a Congressman with roots Cuban roots started bellyaching. Really amazing the power of that lobby.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ozzie-guillen-assures-miami-fans-that-he-thinks-fi,27893/

(Remember the Jay Mariotti thing?)

I think what it comes down to for Ozzie is probably being from Venezuela he hadn't been conditioned to avoid ever saying anything positive about Castro, even if it's just something like "it's impressive he survived so much."

Archived