Hoes and Delmonico

hoosiers

Lookie here - two Os prospects with OBP over .500 last 10 games with ops over 1.100.

Delmonico has been moved into the DelMarva clean-up role. He has 3 xbhs the last four games and 7 BBs last 10 games against 9 Ks. Overall, main negative is K rate of once every 5 ABs. Hopefully, he can drive that rate down in May.

Hoes has entered rare territory of 6 BBs and 4 XBHs in last 10 games against only 3 Ks. In this time Hoes is striking out once every 15 ABs. A couple more weeks with consistent XBHs and I think Hoes would be the prime candidate for Norfolk.

Hoes is doing about as I expected, though I'd love to see a little more pop. Delmonico has been a pleasant surprise. I knew he was highly regarded, of course, but not too many high school hitters go to a full season club right away and hold their own. Gotta like 14 BB in 24 games for a kid out of high school. I think Jordan may have scored on this one.

Three more hits from Delmonico. He's gonna be fun to follow. Any of the more informed folks -- Stotle, RVA, allstar -- hearing anything about him?

Heard positive reports. Making adjustments, holding his own, good work ethic and attitude. I like Delmonico a lot.

Esposito is a real bummer. He's probably a level lower than you want for a guy with his experience too.

Heard his swing is a mess and his approach is not good. Plenty of time to turn it around, but this level was supposed to be a confidence builder for Esposito after a down season in college.

Heard positive reports. Making adjustments, holding his own, good work ethic and attitude. I like Delmonico a lot.

Heard his swing is a mess and his approach is not good. Plenty of time to turn it around, but this level was supposed to be a confidence builder for Esposito after a down season in college.

By 'approach' do you mean 'attitude'? That would be a real bummer. If he's just out of sync that should be correctable with some good coaching and some hard work.

By 'approach' do you mean 'attitude'? That would be a real bummer. If he's just out of sync that should be correctable with some good coaching and some hard work.

I'm pretty sure that he means plate approach. Apologies if I am incorrect.

any idea if delmonico might start playing 3rd base on a more consistent basis? Do they like esposito over there a lot more or what?

From what I heard dating back to the draft, and the videos I saw, I was more impressed with Delmonico, and thought he had more power potential...In my uninformed opinion I would think he would play better at 3rd than 1st.

any idea if delmonico might start playing 3rd base on a more consistent basis? Do they like esposito over there a lot more or what?

From what I heard dating back to the draft, and the videos I saw, I was more impressed with Delmonico, and thought he had more power potential...In my uninformed opinion I would think he would play better at 3rd than 1st.

I might be wrong but I believe that many said Esposito plays great defense at 3rd and its his bat that will need work.

I'm pretty sure that he means plate approach. Apologies if I am incorrect.

JDubs is right, I meant approach at the plate.

Esposito is supposed to be a plus defender at third. Delmonico has struggled at times at first base this season but may also see some times at third and second base as they try and find a good position for him. If the Orioles perfect situation occurred, and we know it won't, their infield of the future will be Esposito at 3B, Machado at SS, Schoop at 2B and Delmonico at 1B.

A nice day for Hoes yesterday, 2 for 6 with a double and a homer and a couple of walks. He's up to .303/.403/.412 and seems to be finding his power stroke a little with three doubles and two homers in the last 10 games, in which he has hit .351/.429/.595. He's now got 129 games of AA under his belt. I'd think that he's a candidate for a promotion by the all-star break. He doesn't have a ton of power, but he sure has a knack for getting on base.

A nice day for Hoes yesterday, 2 for 6 with a double and a homer and a couple of walks. He's up to .303/.403/.412 and seems to be finding his power stroke a little with three doubles and two homers in the last 10 games, in which he has hit .351/.429/.595. He's now got 129 games of AA under his belt. I'd think that he's a candidate for a promotion by the all-star break. He doesn't have a ton of power, but he sure has a knack for getting on base.

IIRC, most of Hoes homers last season came in a bunch at the very end of the year. So, it's hopeful for me that he's hit a couple fairly early. Wondering how he's handling the move to CF. I saw Sunday's game in Bowie, my first minor league game this year, and thought he looked fine, but didn't see any difficult plays, either. If he could hit 10-12 a year in CF and get on base consistently, he has value, possibly as a starter.

IIRC, most of Hoes homers last season came in a bunch at the very end of the year. So, it's hopeful for me that he's hit a couple fairly early. Wondering how he's handling the move to CF. I saw Sunday's game in Bowie, my first minor league game this year, and thought he looked fine, but didn't see any difficult plays, either. If he could hit 10-12 a year in CF and get on base consistently, he has value, possibly as a starter.

I feel Hoes will be in Baltimore by July. Either because he is performing really well and forces his way up, there is an injury, there is a trade, or a combination of all of the above. If he could settle in and be our Tony Phillips for the next 8-10 years I would be ecstatic.

Archived