"I was trying to hit him. I'm not going to deny it."

Aglets

Hamels hit him --- maybe he was crowding the plate... who knows. They hit Hamels. Should have been end of story.

Rizzo... IMHO... is throwing a bit of tantrum here. He should keep his trap shut and let the players regulate this on the field. Referencing NFL bounties? Are you kidding me??? Getting plunked as gone on for as long has the game has existed... the Nats got their retribution by nailing Hamels. End of story.

The Nats have plunked Phillies players in the past and I haven't heard their GM kicking and screaming.:down:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta respect Rizzo for calling it like he sees it. Hitting a rookie for being a rookie is ridiculous, no matter who the player is.

Hmm, today must be national "Agree with Tony Day". While I may never find a way to cheer for the Nats, I completely agree with Rizzo on this. I don't think it is over the top, I concur with his expletives. Yes, players get hit in baseball, but the reason a player throws at another critical for context of the spirit of the game. As a "welcome" the big leagues? Moronic at best.

-Don

Hamels hit him --- maybe he was crowding the plate... who knows. They hit Hamels. Should have been end of story.

Rizzo... IMHO... is throwing a bit of tantrum here. He should keep his trap shut and let the players regulate this on the field. Referencing NFL bounties? Are you kidding me??? Getting plunked as gone on for as long has the game has existed... the Nats got their retribution by nailing Hamels. End of story.

The Nats have plunked Phillies players in the past and I haven't heard their GM kicking and screaming.:down:

If Hamels never said anything, it would have been less of an issue. But since Hamels said it was intentional, Rizzo is just responding.

IMO, Hamels was an idiot to admit to it since he will now be suspended. And saying something like that does nothing for you or the team.

If Hamels never said anything, it would have been less of an issue. But since Hamels said it was intentional, Rizzo is just responding.

IMO, Hamels was an idiot to admit to it since he will now be suspended. And saying something like that does nothing for you or the team.

Actually, I don't think admitting it makes him any less intelligent, the action itself spoke to his sportsmanship and integrity. His words may bury him on the suspension, but the respect was lost already.

-Don

Hitting a rookie for being a rookie is just stupid.

The hitting of Delmon Young five years ago on his first ab was pay back for throwing the bat at the umpire in the minors. Lots of people didnt think he was suspended enough.

Honestly, Hamels hit a 6-foot-3, 215-lbs guy in the lower back with a pitch. The hyperbole in this thread is insane. I sure hope every one of you will react with the same level of disgust every single time any pitcher throws a pitch high and in against someone -- that's a hell of a lot more dangerous than anything Hamels did last night....

Honestly, Hamels hit a 6-foot-3, 215-lbs guy in the lower back with a pitch. The hyperbole in this thread is insane. I sure hope every one of you will react with the same level of disgust every single time any pitcher throws a pitch high and in against someone -- that's a hell of a lot more dangerous than anything Hamels did last night....

I do react far worse when someone throws at a player's head. And hitting a player is absolutely part of the game, but the reason is the key. Guy shows up a pitcher, other pitcher throws at your guys, opposing player goes after an infielder with a nasty slide, are all fair game (but again, never at someone's head). Hitting a kid because he is a rookie? Really? How is that a part of the game?

-Don

I agree with this. I mean, I don't agree w/ Hamels, but this isn't much of a thing.

I do react far worse when someone throws at a player's head. And hitting a player is absolutely part of the game, but the reason is the key. Guy shows up a pitcher, other pitcher throws at your guys, opposing player goes after an infielder with a nasty slide, are all fair game (but again, never at someone's head). Hitting a kid because he is a rookie? Really? How is that a part of the game?

-Don

It's the same stuff Harper has put up with the last seven years. It's the equivalent of someone going up and giving Lebron an over-the-top hard foul during his rookie year. He didn't throw at his head -- didn't even throw up. He clearly wasn't trying to hurt Harper in any way -- just give him a, "I know you think you're hot **** but this is my box, and this is Philly's division."

I am fine with disagreeing as to whether that's something a pitcher should do (honestly, I don't really care one way or the other). Had Hamels thrown up and in, I'd have a huge issue with it. But he didn't. The fact that anyone is up in arms about this is crazy. I loved Rizzo's response because that's what you do when someone goes after your guy. And if the Nats want to put one in Victorino's back today, so be it -- Hamels will have to sort that out with Shane. But this thread is overreaction to the point of comedy.

I agree with this. I mean, I don't agree w/ Hamels, but this isn't much of a thing.

Look... I don't agree with Hamels' reasoning. And he never should have opened his mouth. But Rizzo is going over the top talking about pitchers these days having less control, death, and NFL bounties.

These players will deal with it on the field. They plunked Hamels in retribution... Rizzo, though, IMO, doesn't need to freak out to the level that he has taken it.

The kid got plunked. Get over it and move on.

I feel bad for Harper, in a way, because he's essentially a few short years beyond childhood. He has all of these microphones in his face and says Hamels is a good guy. I'd be surprised if he knows the guy... must have been awkward for the kid to say the least.

It's the same stuff Harper has put up with the last seven years. It's the equivalent of someone going up and giving Lebron an over-the-top hard foul during his rookie year. He didn't throw at his head -- didn't even throw up. He clearly wasn't trying to hurt Harper in any way -- just give him a, "I know you think you're hot **** but this is my box, and this is Philly's division."

I am fine with disagreeing as to whether that's something a pitcher should do (honestly, I don't really care one way or the other). Had Hamels thrown up and in, I'd have a huge issue with it. But he didn't. The fact that anyone is up in arms about this is crazy. I loved Rizzo's response because that's what you do when someone goes after your guy. And if the Nats want to put one in Victorino's back today, so be it -- Hamels will have to sort that out with Shane. But this thread is overreaction to the point of comedy.

Well, I wasn't going for comedy, but laughter, however it happens, the world is a little better for it. I suppose it is the former U.S. Marine in me that looks to a sense of an honor code, be it baseball, hockey, etc. Violence is inherent in the system, but if you get hit on purpose in baseball, it should be because you did something to EARN it. Harper sure looks like a guy I would want to hit as a pitcher, but if all he does is play hard? It was a punk move.

-Don

Well, I wasn't going for comedy, but laughter, however it happens, the world is a little better for it. I suppose it is the former U.S. Marine in me that looks to a sense of an honor code, be it baseball, hockey, etc. Violence is inherent in the system, but if you get hit on purpose in baseball, it should be because you did something to EARN it. Harper sure looks like a guy I would want to hit as a pitcher, but if all he does is play hard? It was a punk move.

-Don

Right, I don't disagree with anyone who thinks Hamels was flawed in his thinking. It just isn't a big deal -- particularly compared to the hard/late slides, pitching up and in, etc. that goes on. There is so much more that happens every day that is "dirtier" or mor dangerous than what Hamels did, I guess I don't understand what a board of Orioles fans is so fired-up about.

Right, I don't disagree with anyone who thinks Hamels was flawed in his thinking. It just isn't a big deal -- particularly compared to the hard/late slides, pitching up and in, etc. that goes on. There is so much more that happens every day that is "dirtier" or mor dangerous than what Hamels did, I guess I don't understand what a board of Orioles fans is so fired-up about.

Honestly, only semi-fired up myself. But it was lame. It may be the only time I'll ever agree with Rizzo about anything. Any other purposeful or accidental sympathy on my behalf for the Nats should be stricken from the Hangout record.

-Don

Archived