Markakis

Pedro Cerrano

I'm down on Nick as much as anyone, but the "bat speed" comments always make me laugh. C'mon, how do you guys know what good bat speed looks like?

Remember when people were crying about Wieters having a slow bat? Where are those people now?

And as far as Nick's offseason, no one seems to really know what he does, outside of deer hunting. No one knows for sure if he's not working on his game or not.

I said Markakis had one, and Wieters didn't. So I'm not worried about this criticism.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah. I used the search function here. I'm still sensitive about that because I got roasted so hard (by Mackus! Who everyone loved!). But I am definitely patting myself on the back for the .290/.360/.420 prediction.

If Nick has an ISO of .130 at the end of the year, I will be disappointed. Yes, I know he was below that in 2011, and that he has averaged a .130 ISO the last two seasons. I still would be disappointed with an ISO under .150-.160. At the same time, I would be surprised with an ISO significantly over that.

Nah. I used the search function here. I'm still sensitive about that because I got roasted so hard (by Mackus! Who everyone loved!). But I am definitely patting myself on the back for the .290/.360/.420 prediction.

I bet he outproduces your projection this season by a fair margin, provided he does not get hurt. When Nick is in a funk he looks real bad, but his ISO is back close to what he produced earlier in his career, his walk rate and K rate are in line the ONLY thing out of line is his BABIP. Adjust that with his ISO back in the expected range and he is around a 900 OPS with close to 60 EBHs. Is it certain I am right? No but I thing there is evidence that he has been hurt and I expect him to be closer to the player we expected going forward.

Career as #3 hitter: .281 AVG ; .356 OBP ; .435 SLG ; 57 HR ; 2,056 AB

Career as #2 hitter: .313 AVG ; .384 OBP ; .489 SLG ; 40 HR ; 1,188 AB

Case closed.

Care to explain those numbers to me? What you think you are reading into them I mean. I don't see the value of the information you posted.

Oh, Lucky Jim, you're never worried about criticism. ;)

I like to pretend I am. But it hurts, Moose. It hurts.

That said, I do think there are things you pick up on over time that are warning signs, and it's not just related to not catching up to a FB. Eh. Maybe pseudo-science. Even a blind pig...

I bet he outproduces your projection this season by a fair margin, provided he does not get hurt. When Nick is in a funk he looks real bad, but his ISO is back close to what he produced earlier in his career, his walk rate and K rate are in line the ONLY thing out of line is his BABIP. Adjust that with his ISO back in the expected range and he is around a 900 OPS with close to 60 EBHs. Is it certain I am right? No but I thing there is evidence that he has been hurt and I expect him to be closer to the player we expected going forward.

I think I explained why I don't think this is likely, earlier. But I sure hope you're right.

Care to explain those numbers to me? What you think you are reading into them I mean. I don't see the value of the information you posted.

I just don't think that Markakis has ever thrived as a #3 hitter. He has had some below average cleanup hitters behind him (Vlad for example) so he gets squeezed. They pitch around him.

This year is a little different because Jones is playing well behind him, but Markakis has just never thrived in the middle of the order. Regardless of the scenario or who is behind him. Just from a fans perspective, watching games, he always seems to be more comfortable and do better from the 2 hole.

Looks like Brendan25 is saying that Nick should be hitting 2nd.

Don't know how anyone could draw anything different.

I'm sure you think there is a cogent point in here but I assure you there isn't. I don't care he's getting paid, but it is undeniably true that his career production has been in steady decline since he inked the contact. That is fact. And who cares what he would get paid on the Yankees, the fact is, he wouldn't start on the Yankees when Swisher and Gardner are healthy.

And for the second... you really expect someone to question their own teammate or player's drive? You ever think something negative about a family member but don't express it? I bet you do.

That's flat-out silly to say it is "fact" that Gardner would start over Markakis.

You may not realize this, but Markakis is half a year younger than Gardner. Additionally, he has a career average of .294/18HR/84RBI (over 162 game schedule) over Gardner's .265./5/43. Better OBP, OPS 100 points higher and Gold Glove winner to boot. The only appreciable benefit Gardner brings to the table over Markakis is his base-stealing abilities. It's no contest, seriously.

And yes, I do expect players' drive to be questioned if it's a problem - if not publicly, than privately by management. I'll ask one more time to show some type of proof from any analyst of the game that Markakis has no drive.

Well I am not an expert but with my untrained eye I see that he is having a damn hard time trying to catch up to good fast balls. He clearly looks like he is overswinging when trying to hit them and a little awkward too. Maybe it is surgery related, afterall your swing is a function of the core muscles and you have to think, even if he is recovering, there is some affect there. Hopefully he gets better but I definitely think he should be in the #2 slot or down in the order but Buck won't do that. At least not until it is painfully obvious to everyone.

Yes. Just posting his numbers hitting 2nd and 3rd with no supporting information isn't very telling.

Maybe his numbers are better hitting second because he hit second earlier in his career and now that he is declining he has been moved to 3rd.

Maybe he was hitting second more often when Roberts was an offensive force in the leadoff position getting him better pitches to hit.

If the stats showed that his BA and OBP were lower in the third slot but his slugging was higher you could make a case that he was trying to hit for power more in the three hole. But the numbers are not there to support that either.

Archived