vs. NATIONALS 5/20

OFFNY

I'm assuming Flaherty is actually dinged up or Weams would have said "lower back pain" as LBP is a much better phantom injury.

He played 3rd in the 9th last night. Weams might of just been throwing something out there.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you think we should go all out every game down by 3 runs and continue to use valuable pieces of our bull pen in the midst of a 25 game in 25 day stretch with Boston coming to town? Gotcha.

I disagree.

I'm not saying we put Jim Johnson in in the sixth. But giving the offense another couple innings to work isn't out of line. I'm not willing to concede a 6-3 game after five with the starter that dominated us coming out.

I think Buck's logic was, bring in O'Day, a more reliable bet to stop the bleeding through the 6th. If we don't get back into the game by then, hand it over to Eveland and hope for the best. If we do get back into it by then, do what it takes to win.

That's logical, I just don't agree with it. I'm a big Buck fan, but it doesn't mean I have to blindly accept every decision he makes either.

There's also the advantage of getting to PH for the pitcher and relieve O'Day as we just did. So that was probably a key part of Buck's decision too. Whatever, looks like he's handing it over to Eveland now. Not a big deal really, just picking nits watching the game on my sofa.

I think Buck's logic was, bring in O'Day, a more reliable bet to stop the bleeding through the 6th. If we don't get back into the game by then, hand it over to Eveland and hope for the best. If we do get back into it by then, do what it takes to win.

That's logical, I just don't agree with it. I'm a big Buck fan, but it doesn't mean I have to blindly accept every decision he makes either.

Agreed, also I'm not really a big picture kinda guy. Screw the other 161 games :D

I'm not saying we put Jim Johnson in in the sixth. But giving the offense another couple innings to work isn't out of line. I'm not willing to concede a 6-3 game after five with the starter that dominated us coming out.

I think sometimes you have to take your chances. It's a long season, and our BP is completely taxed right now with Boston coming to town. That's all I'm saying.

You play to win the game, and I guess Buck is doing what he thinks is best to win the game.

One of the most important jobs of a manager is to see the bigger picture. You show up to win the game, but you also cut your losses and live to play another day. It's not football.

DARREN O'DAY

INNINGS: 1.67 *

HITS: 0

RUNS: 0

WALKS: 0

PITCHES: 16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

ERA: 1.27

* O'Day inherited 2 base-runners with only 1 out when he entered the game, and stranded them both. :)

The Reds just added 2 insurance runs on a Ryan Ludwick double with 2 outs in the top of the 9th.

Ludwick had already hit a home run and a single earlier in the game against C.C. Sabathia.

Archived