Would you take Jeremy Guthrie back?

jamalshw

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are his road/home splits this year?

The nl west has some pretty mediocre offenses and some pretty huge road ballparks (San fran' date=' San Diego). I'd be very interested to see how he is pitching away from coors field and see if he is still getting lit up even on the road.[/quote']

He's not doing so great on the road either.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=guthrje01&year=2012&t=p

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

You don't put up a 7+ era without sucking at home and on the road.

Thanks but no thanks. Guthrie against AL East offenses would be pretty darn ugly. I don't see him as being any better than tillman or moyer at this point and neither of those two would cost us a thing in terms of a trade.

Gut's days as an oriole are over.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

You don't put up a 7+ era without sucking at home and on the road.

Thanks but no thanks. Guthrie against AL East offenses would be pretty darn ugly. I don't see him as being any better than tillman or moyer at this point and neither of those two would cost us a thing in terms of a trade.

Gut's days as an oriole are over.

Hard to say for sure. If he's radically altered his approach at home/Coors, there could be some residual effects on the road. That said, I agree with you that Guthrie's days as a starter for the O's should be over. There were red flags before this year. If he did end up with the Jays, I woudn't fear facing him, that's for sure.

Man, I'd be bummed to see Guts come back to the AL East and oppose us. He's an incredible guy and I can't imagine rooting against him. Without looking at the stats, I'd love to have him back, but if he's regressing / injured, then, unfortunately, we should look elsewhere.

Has there been any reported interest on the O's end?

Man, I'd be bummed to see Guts come back to the AL East and oppose us. He's an incredible guy and I can't imagine rooting against him. Without looking at the stats, I'd love to have him back, but if he's regressing / injured, then, unfortunately, we should look elsewhere.

Has there been any reported interest on the O's end?

I hope not. I like Guts. Good guy but i beleive his career is near the end. IMO

Guthrie has a 4.23 ERA on the road. Over 9.00 ERA at Coors Field. His WHIP is high everywhere. He gives up a homer+ a game. That is just Guthrie.

He is probably better than Hunter, Arrieta or Matusz has pitched if you take him out of Coors Field. I would do the Guthrie for Gregg trade in a minute. However I don't think the Rockies would. Not if the Jays are will to take on the $5M left on his contract and give up a B prospect. If the Jays would do that I think they are overpaying. I would not match that offer.

I would like to have Guthrie back. I think he could put up a 4.20-4.50 ERA back with the O's. He is a free agent after the season so I would not give up anything good for him. He always disagreed with the O's on salary and that probably will not change. If the Rockies would eat $2M of the $5M remaining I would give a prospect like Mahoney for him.

I like Guts over Saunders. I would take McCarthy over Guts. Garza and Dempster will cost too much in prospects.

His velocity is the same, but he's throwing less fastballs than ever in his career. He has also gone to the curveball more than ever in his career. K/9 at a career low, w/9 at a career high. Hard to say what's up when you aren't seeing all his starts anymore. Bad year though.

I guess he could have some legitimate reason for going to more breaking stuff, but I think he and his coaches are ignoring PHYSICS. There is less air in Denver. Less air leads to less Magnus effect, which leads to less break compared to an identically thrown pitch at sea level. What Guthrie is saying and doing is "I'm going to rely a lot more on my pitches that won't work as well in Denver."

I still think he'd be a great reclamation project if the Rockies are giving him away.

Guthrie has a 4.23 ERA on the road. Over 9.00 ERA at Coors Field. His WHIP is high everywhere. He gives up a homer+ a game. That is just Guthrie.

He is probably better than Hunter, Arrieta or Matusz has pitched if you take him out of Coors Field. I would do the Guthrie for Gregg trade in a minute. However I don't think the Rockies would. Not if the Jays are will to take on the $5M left on his contract and give up a B prospect. If the Jays would do that I think they are overpaying. I would not match that offer.

I would like to have Guthrie back. I think he could put up a 4.20-4.50 ERA back with the O's. He is a free agent after the season so I would not give up anything good for him. He always disagreed with the O's on salary and that probably will not change. If the Rockies would eat $2M of the $5M remaining I would give a prospect like Mahoney for him.

I like Guts over Saunders. I would take McCarthy over Guts. Garza and Dempster will cost too much in prospects.

I don't even think he is a C prospect

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/11/30/2601596/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects-for-2012

Everyone is saying he is done... yet weve seen what sea level has done for Hammel. Is it that surprising that it did the exact opposite for Guthrie?

He relied on that pitch (2-seam) so heavily here, no wonder he is going to the off speed stuff more. Im banking on him returning to form with ANY other team.

Exactly... Guthrie only has an away ERA of 4.70 in with 2 bad starts at Chicago and at Cinn. But he has a 9.53 ERA at home and has told the media that his pitches simply won't break in the Colorado air. To say he's "done" after such a small sample in a treacherous ballpark is an extreme overreaction. He's not going to be a top pitcher, but I think he could easily be a useful arm once he's out of Colorado.

I guess he could have some legitimate reason for going to more breaking stuff, but I think he and his coaches are ignoring PHYSICS. There is less air in Denver. Less air leads to less Magnus effect, which leads to less break compared to an identically thrown pitch at sea level. What Guthrie is saying and doing is "I'm going to rely a lot more on my pitches that won't work as well in Denver."

I still think he'd be a great reclamation project if the Rockies are giving him away.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking when he stated in ST that that he was going to go to his curveball more this year. Bad plan. Especially when you consider his curveball just isn't very good. I'm not sure what the issue is with his 2 seamer, though Guthrie never really had much sinking action on his, even when it was on.

Archived