Would you take Jeremy Guthrie back?

jamalshw

Very interesting thread and a good read, but then it raises this question for me........what the hell happened to Ubaldo Jimenez??

He was dominating in Colorado even without the extra break on his pitches, but then he gets shipped to Cleveland and now he is getting shelled?

Is there something else going on there? Why have his numbers ballooned after LEAVING Colorado? Anyone have any theories on this (I know it is slightly OT from the O's but in the general discussion of altitude/humidity, it fits).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting thread and a good read' date=' but then it raises this question for me........what the hell happened to Ubaldo Jimenez??

He was dominating in Colorado even without the extra break on his pitches, but then he gets shipped to Cleveland and now he is getting shelled?

Is there something else going on there? Why have his numbers ballooned after LEAVING Colorado? Anyone have any theories on this (I know it is slightly OT from the O's but in the general discussion of altitude/humidity, it fits).[/quote']

Without any direct knowledge of Jimenez outside of his Fangraphs and bb-ref pages, my first guess would be that his sinker don't sink as much at sea level. Which makes some sense from a physics perspective. Even a two-seam fastball generates lift with backspin, and there's more lift in Cleveland than Denver, so less sink.

That's probably a vast oversimplification, and the real answer may involve gradual degradation of his of his arm, adjustments to not pitching in Denver half the time, bad luck, and other stuff.

As to the original question of this thread, Roch Kubatko says it ain't happening.

Roch was also 100% positive that Loewen was going to stay an O.

I do agree with him this time, if for no other reason then no way Colorado would trade him back for pennies on the dollar.

Roch was also 100% positive that Loewen was going to stay an O.

I do agree with him this time, if for no other reason then no way Colorado would trade him back for pennies on the dollar.

I get the sense - and this is wholesale speculation - that there is a disconnect between public perception of the affable Guthrie and the internal perception of Guthrie. So even if the Rockies were tempted to throw good money after bad, it probably wouldn't happen.

I get the sense - and this is wholesale speculation - that there is a disconnect between public perception of the affable Guthrie and the internal perception of Guthrie. So even if the Rockies were tempted to throw good money after bad, it probably wouldn't happen.

I agree.

Archived