Would you take Jeremy Guthrie back?

jamalshw

With Guthrie struggling to a 6.91 ERA in Colorado, would you look to try and get him back as a cheap trade deadline pick-up?

Do you think he's fixable if he's removed from Colorado and brought back to a place he's had relative success? If so, what would it take to get him, and would the Rockies be willing to admit their mistake and trade him back to us for pennies on the dollar?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd certainly take him over Tommy Hunter and that's what we're facing now. He doesn't need to be "the guy" for our rotation anymore, which is a role I can still see him performing well (pitching behind some combination of Hammel, Matusz, Arrieta, Chen and Britton).

I always liked Guts, and it could be a complete coincidence, but it seems odd to me that Buck didn't seem to really care for him that much, and the season that he gets traded we are suddenly playing good ball. I'd say no to a guts reunion.

The irrational part of my brain (i.e., the part that doesn't care about things like money, talent, Guthrie's horrible 2012-to-date, etc.) would like to bring him back for no other reason than it thinks Guthrie deserves to be here when the O's are winning.

Every other part of my brain says "nope."

The Rockies are actively shopping Jeremy Guthrie, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

It's doubtful that they will find a taker, unless the Rockies eat a majority of the money owed to Guthrie and accept next to nothing in return. Guthrie, acquired from the Orioles over the winter for Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom, is pitching on a one-year, $8.2 million deal. He made it just three innings Sunday against Detroit, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and two walks to bring his ERA to 7.02 through 59 innings. If Colorado can't find a taker, they might banish him to the bullpen or even consider designating Guthrie for assignment.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/214532992763297793

The Rockies are actively shopping Jeremy Guthrie, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

It's doubtful that they will find a taker, unless the Rockies eat a majority of the money owed to Guthrie and accept next to nothing in return. Guthrie, acquired from the Orioles over the winter for Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom, is pitching on a one-year, $8.2 million deal. He made it just three innings Sunday against Detroit, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and two walks to bring his ERA to 7.02 through 59 innings. If Colorado can't find a taker, they might banish him to the bullpen or even consider designating Guthrie for assignment.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/214532992763297793

Still wondering if he's damaged goods, even if you thought he would regress in Colorado I think no one expected this. Pretty embarrassing situation for the Rockies.

According to Fangraphs his velocity is actually up a little which doesn't support an injury. Less first strikes. He's fooling people less as evidenced by decreased O-Swing from last year. Absolutely nothing to like about any of his periphreals unless I missed a silver lining but his SO/BB is at its worst since his last year with Cleveland! And heck, even that year he wasn't allowing tater after tater.

Not sure if I'd want him back if he was free. Poor Guts :(

His velocity is the same, but he's throwing less fastballs than ever in his career. He has also gone to the curveball more than ever in his career. K/9 at a career low, w/9 at a career high. Hard to say what's up when you aren't seeing all his starts anymore. Bad year though.

Archived