Mark Reynolds is a Tease Someone Else Can Deal With

brianod

With the game on the line, Mr. Reynolds had two at bats tonight. Tied 0-0 with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, Mr. Reynolds does what he does best, strikes out. No sacrifice fly, no rbi ground out, no uplifting team at bat, just the usual. Down 1-0 with runners on 1st and 2nd Mr. Reynolds gets up 2-0 and proceeds to take two strikes and pop up. I have nothing against the man and so many on this board seem to be enamored of him, I would happily ship him to Chicago in exchange for Dempster. Hell, even Soriano if the Cubs payed for it. I'd value all of our young pitchers over Reynolds. I'd value all of our good prospects over Reynolds. He's got 5 hrs and 21 rbis. Ranking 38th and 31st in firstbase eligible players. And, that's what he does best. He doesn't advance runners. He's got huge holes in his swing that can be taken advantage of by good pitching in clutch situations. Ya, he got hurt for a couple of weeks and hasn't been horrible lately. Big deal.

Bottom line, if I was going to trade for a Soriano, Dempster, Garza etc, I'd give up Reynolds before I'd give up anyone who has any potential of having a future with the Orioles.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're on the subject of Mark Reynolds and what a detriment that he is to the team, we may as well just bring this back and go from there:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122013-Is-there-any-answer-for-Reynolds?highlight=Mark+Reynolds

And outside of Wieters tonight, and nobody last night, the rest of the team has taken an offensive mini-vacation as well.

Reactionary, yes. I plead guilty. I'm over 50 and plead old school. With both starters throwing well and runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, you simply have to be able to get that guy on 3rd home. It changes the entire complexion of the game. That's what winning teams and winning players do. Guys that hit 30 home runs a year, 20 of them meaningless get big money but don't help you win. Hell, hit a ground ball to shortstop and we take the lead...

Ah the good old reactionary threads. You'd think we've lost twenty games in a row and not two.

What's reactionary about it? Reynolds has been awful all season. He doesn't do the little things well and his propensity for strikeouts is always a rally killer. Seems like a perfectly good complaint to me... Maybe it's just TOO OBVIOUS for everyone to see it...

I've heard the following names mentioned as trade bait for Dempster or Garza. Schoop, Machado, Arrieta, Tilman, Avery, Britton. I have a different take. Let Flaherty and Tolleson man 3b and trade Reynolds for prospects. Stick with what we have. Reynolds has done very little to help us. If we can get a pitcher or position player for money, go for it. Otherwise hoard our prospects and take our chances.

What's reactionary about it? Reynolds has been awful all season. He doesn't do the little things well and his propensity for strikeouts is always a rally killer. Seems like a perfectly good complaint to me... Maybe it's just TOO OBVIOUS for everyone to see it...

Apparently, I would be more respected if I put on my tweed coat and sucked on my pipe. Sorry, I don't roll that way. I've been fed up with Reynolds all season and he pushed me over the edge tonight. Is that wrong? He's been futile all season. The fact that he hasn't hit a lot of homeruns doesn't bother me. The fact that he can't hit a groundball or sacrifice fly when we need it bothers me greatly.

You better talk to Buck then, because Reynolds has nothing to do with 3B in case you haven't noticed. Even with Reynolds gone, Wilson Betemit is your 3B.

I'm sorry, I thought you were capable of keeping up. Move Davis to 1b, Betemit to DH and Flaherty and Tolleson and Andino to 3b. I've watched every game and fully realize where everyone has been playing, thanks though for the update.

It's fair to criticize Reynolds for not driving in those runs, but realize that before tonight, he had driven in a runner from 3B with less than 2 out 50% of the time this year, compared to 55% for the team and 52% average around the league. Hardy also failed with a runner on 3B and less than 2 out in this game. The league stats show that it isn't nearly the routine play that you suggest that it is, and Santana isn't chicken feed, either.

I did not see most of the game, but I understand that Reynolds also made a very nice play at 1B to save a couple of runs when the game was still close. He has hit well since early May, and if he had a bad day today, well, that's how it goes sometimes. There's no question the guy has his flaws, I just wish we didn't have to have a thread about it every time the guy strikes out with a runner in scoring position. He strikes out a lot -- we get it. At least the guy sees a lot of pitches and tries to get one he can hit. His strikeout came on the 7th pitch of that AB.

It's fair to criticize Reynolds for not driving in those runs, but realize that before tonight, he had driven in a runner from 3B with less than 2 out 50% of the time this year, compared to 55% for the team and 52% average around the league. Hardy also failed with a runner on 3B and less than 2 out in this game. The league stats show that it isn't nearly the routine play that you suggest that it is, and Santana isn't chicken feed, either.

I did not see most of the game, but I understand that Reynolds also made a very nice play at 1B to save a couple of runs when the game was still close. He has hit well since early May, and if he had a bad day today, well, that's how it goes sometimes. There's no question the guy has his flaws, I just wish we didn't have to have a thread about it every time the guy strikes out with a runner in scoring position. He strikes out a lot -- we get it. At least the guy sees a lot of pitches and tries to get one he can hit. His strikeout game on the 7th pitch of that AB.

Yes Reynolds among others had a bad day against one of the better pitchers in the game who was having a good day. It happens.

I did not see most of the game, but I understand that Reynolds also made a very nice play at 1B to save a couple of runs when the game was still close. He has hit well since early May, and if he had a bad day today, well, that's how it goes sometimes. There's no question the guy has his flaws, I just wish we didn't have to have a thread about it every time the guy strikes out with a runner in scoring position. He strikes out a lot -- we get it. At least the guy sees a lot of pitches and tries to get one he can hit. His strikeout game on the 7th pitch of that AB.

Yep. The score of the game was 0-0. The bases were loaded with only 1 out in the bottom of the 4th inning. Reynolds made an excellent diving play to prevent a potential bases-clearing double, and he also got the runner out at first base. Only 1 run scored on the play instead of 2 or 3, plus the second out of the inning was recorded, so there were 2 outs, instead of 1. Hunter got the next batter, and the score was 1-0 Mets at the end of 4 innings.

Archived