Mark Reynolds is a Tease Someone Else Can Deal With

brianod

Yes Reynolds among others had a bad day against one of the better pitchers in the game who was having a good day. It happens.

Santana hasn't been one of the best pitchers in the game for a long, long time. The Orioles made him look better than he is, in part, by failing to do the little things.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. The score of the game was 0-0. The bases were loaded with only 1 out in the bottom of the 4th inning. Reynolds made an excellent diving play to prevent a potential bases-clearing double, and he also got the runner out at first base. Only 1 run scored on the play instead of 2 or 3, plus the second out of the inning was recorded, so there were 2 outs, instead of 1. Hunter got the next batter, and the score was 1-0 Mets at the end of 4 innings.

I applaud him for his good defense. He's probably almost as good defensively as Michael Aubrey:)

What's reactionary about it? Reynolds has been awful all season. He doesn't do the little things well and his propensity for strikeouts is always a rally killer. Seems like a perfectly good complaint to me... Maybe it's just TOO OBVIOUS for everyone to see it...

The general argument has been shown to be without merit about a hundred times now. Reynolds is the 4th best hitter on the team right now and was the best hitter on the team last year. He has not been awful on offense.

Santana hasn't been one of the best pitchers in the game for a long, long time. The Orioles made him look better than he is, in part, by failing to do the little things.
If the O's had done the little things, they might have scored 2 runs. With Tommy, AKA, Curly the cookie monster Hunter, that would have been no help.

What's reactionary about it? Reynolds has been awful all season. He doesn't do the little things well and his propensity for strikeouts is always a rally killer. Seems like a perfectly good complaint to me... Maybe it's just TOO OBVIOUS for everyone to see it...

It's reactionary because Reynolds has had an OPS of almost 1.00 since May 1st; he's already been on base 24 times in June; he broke a 0-0 tie with a sac fly two days ago; and he had a bad night offensively today. That doesn't mean the original poster's complaint has no basis. But make no mistake, it is reactionary.

Apparently, I would be more respected if I put on my tweed coat and sucked on my pipe..

Not really. You could be eating cheetos in your underwear and come off like a genius on the internet. Unfortunately, you sound like a guy eating cheetos in his underwear.

Ah the good old reactionary threads. You'd think we've lost twenty games in a row and not two.

He owns the all time strikeout record for all of major league baseball history. And I believe he has 3 of the worst 4 strikeout seasons of ALL TIME.

It's not reactionary. He strikeouts out way too much and consistently fails to move runners over and have productive at-bats.

Yes.....he draws more walks than most. Yes, most seasons he can hit some long balls. But I'm not sure that his walks or home run ability makes up for all the extremely unproductive outs he makes and it certainly doesn't make up for all the Strikeouts + errors he makes over the course of a season.

I like Reynolds.....but he hurts this team quite a bit with the bad fundamental baseball on both offense and defense. Maybe it is "reactionary"......we are "reacting" to his terrible fundamental baseball plays.

He owns the all time strikeout record for all of major league baseball history. And I believe he has 3 of the worst 4 strikeout seasons of ALL TIME.

It's not reactionary. He strikeouts out way too much and consistently fails to move runners over and have productive at-bats.

Yes.....he draws more walks than most. Yes' date=' most seasons he can hit some long balls. But I'm not sure that his walks or home run ability makes up for all the extremely unproductive outs he makes and it certainly doesn't make up for all the Strikeouts + errors he makes over the course of a season.

I like Reynolds.....but he hurts this team quite a bit with the bad fundamental baseball on both offense and defense. Maybe it is "reactionary"......we are "reacting" to his terrible fundamental baseball plays.[/quote']

i can understand the frustration. The team is not playing well. It jsut seems silly to me to pin all the bad on one guy. When Mark R hits a homerun and the team wins how will you act then? I know he is not tghe best at all but who else is there to replace him? Sorry but i just dont feel it is right to blame one for the team screw ups going on now. IMO

So he's struck out a lot. He's also produced a season in which he had 44 hr's and 102 rbi's with an ops of .892. The strikeouts are poor BA are over blown. When will people realize its all about obp. He has a better history than anyone on our team with the bat.

Also this lineup needs his bat. He is always top 10 in pitches seen per at bat.

So he's struck out a lot. He's also produced a season in which he had 44 hr's and 102 rbi's with an ops of .892. The strikeouts are poor BA are over blown. When will people realize its all about obp. He has a better history than anyone on our team with the bat.

Also this lineup needs his bat. He is always top 10 in pitches seen per at bat.

This.

I'm boldly predicting that Reynolds will have a higher OBP and OPS than Davis once the season's over.

BTW, where's the harsh words for Hardy? The dude can't even keep his OBP above .300 for crying out loud. I don't get why people are so enamored with Hardy at the plate but think Reynolds is this cancer (yes, I grant that Hardy's defense is clearly better).

Hardy has 130 more at bats than Reynolds yet only has 7 more RBIs, almost HALF the walks, and only ONE more double. You'd think that in the age of Moneyball that people would appreciate what Reynolds brings to the table, but it looks like there's still a bunch of fans that will take a look at Batting Average and Home Runs and immediately jump to an unfounded conclusion.

Also let's stop assuming strikeouts are the worst possible outcome for a hitter at the plate. Double plays are, and JJ is a master at that.

BTW, where's the harsh words for Hardy? The dude can't even keep his OBP above .300 for crying out loud. I don't get why people are so enamored with Hardy at the plate but think Reynolds is this cancer (yes, I grant that Hardy's defense is clearly better).

Hardy has 130 more at bats than Reynolds yet only has 7 more RBIs, almost HALF the walks, and only ONE more double. You'd think that in the age of Moneyball that people would appreciate what Reynolds brings to the table, but it looks like there's still a bunch of fans that will take a look at Batting Average and Home Runs and immediately jump to an unfounded conclusion.

Also let's stop assuming strikeouts are the worst possible outcome for a hitter at the plate. Double plays are, and JJ is a master at that.

Pretty simply, people don't criticize JJ because he is a very good defensive SS, and shortstops normally don't hit as well at corner infielders. Hardy's .714 OPS is 6th among AL shortstops. That said, JJ is in a heck of a slump right now, .216/.233/.295 over his last 20 games. And that coincides almost perfectly with the time period that Nick Markakis has been out of the lineup, replaced by guys who collectively have a sub-.600 OPS in that spot. Throw in a bunch of games where the pitcher is batting, and you have a recipe for some pretty poor offensive numbers.

This.

I'm boldly predicting that Reynolds will have a higher OBP and OPS than Davis once the season's over.

BTW, where's the harsh words for Hardy? The dude can't even keep his OBP above .300 for crying out loud. I don't get why

people are so enamored with Hardy at the plate but think Reynolds is this cancer (yes, I grant that Hardy's defense is clearly better).

well good, Oakland needs a closer and a 1b. Let's package them Gregg and Reynolds for Brandon McCarthy.

Done and done.

Archived