Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

This trade would put the team over the top, in my opinion. In such a case I say go for it. My only condition would be no Bundy or Machado. Maybe they'd take Hoes, Strop, Arrieta & Bridwell? I'd certainly make that trade contingent upon an extension (which shouldn't be too difficult).

That would give us a rotation that looks like this:

Greinke

Hammel

Chen

Tillman

Britton/Matusz/Gonzalez

Maybe the Brewers can throw in a young bullpen arm or the O's can just call up Berken, Socolovich or Neshek to step into Strop's role but that is otherwise a major upgrade to the Orioles' pitching staff.

On top of that, we'll have Markakis coming back from injury after the All-star break (as well as Teagarden & Chavez) so our line-up will be the most formidable it's been in a while. Not to mention I'd love to have Greinke here long-term. He'd be a boon to this pitching staff.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of us don't like what we think Duquette would give up for Greinke based on what he gave up for Thome.

I think Dan would have gladly given the Phillies only Simon if he could. There were other offers. He will give what he think he needs to to get the rental of Greinke alone. For this year. To finish as a winning team. To remove the loser mindset. To fulfill a commitment. It might be more than I would like us to give up. But then, he will probably get out bid.

I think Dan would have gladly given the Phillies only Simon if he could. There were other offers. He will give what he think he needs to to get the rental of Greinke alone. For this year. To finish as a winning team. To remove the loser mindset. To fulfill a commitment. It might be more than I would like us to give up. But then, he will probably get out bid.

If he trades anything of real worth for a rental of Greinke I'll stop posting. That's a wager that sounds like a threat. But I mean it. So, start rooting for a trade, folks.

If that's what it took to get Thome, then he shouldn't have accepted the trade and proceeded without him.

If Matusz can headline this, that would be phenomenal.

I hope I am wrong but I see no chance of Milwaukee taking a deal with Matusz as the centerpiece. I don' thikn we even have enough to get a deal done if we include and combination of prospects minus Bundy and Machado. I just don't see how we have the pieces to compete with Atlanta or Texas, etc. Hate that everyone is getting their hopes up, but I do hope I am wrong.

If the naysayers don't think we're talented enough to make the playoffs this year, what makes anyone think we'll suddenly be talented next year or the year after? As far as I'm aware, we're still not a top spot for big time free agents and Bundy and Machado aren't going to play like MVPs in their first or second year. 90% of the team will be the same. What's suddenly going to change?

If he trades anything of real worth for a rental of Greinke I'll stop posting. That's a wager that sounds like a threat. But I mean it. So, start rooting for a trade, folks.

Are you including Schoop, Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, and Delmonico as "real worth?"

If the naysayers don't think we're talented enough to make the playoffs this year, what makes anyone think we'll suddenly be talented next year or the year after? As far as I'm aware, we're still not a top spot for big time free agents and Bundy and Machado aren't going to play like MVPs in their first or second year. 90% of the team will be the same. What's suddenly going to change?

Time. Opportunity. Development.

Full disclosure, I think the most likely outcome for the team is 75-80 wins after the strong first half where they outperformed on a lot of metrics.

What is the probability that they're an 85 win team? 20%? Is that a high enough probability to bet you could buy 5 more games at the deadline? Is it enough of a likelihood to give up on a guy like Matusz or Arrieta?

Those are the kinds of questions that I ask myself when I look at the potential for a deal for Greinke. I'd be willing to move one of those pitchers, but I would haggle over the rest of the package. All of this would probably be meaningless, though, as Texas or Atlanta will probably beat any deal I'd offer.

That's an absolutly reasonable approach. I agree somebody out there will prolly give up more than we are willing to.

And I think that will be a good thing, because Grienke isn't going to increase our win total by 5 games in a half season. I also don't think that Matusz or Arrietta scores Grienke. But everything is speculation at this point.

I hope I am wrong but I see no chance of Milwaukee taking a deal with Matusz as the centerpiece. I don' thikn we even have enough to get a deal done if we include and combination of prospects minus Bundy and Machado. I just don't see how we have the pieces to compete with Atlanta or Texas, etc. Hate that everyone is getting their hopes up, but I do hope I am wrong.

I don't think we have the pieces to compete with Atlanta and Texas, but I also don't think you'll see a prospect the caliber of Bundy or Machado go to Milwaukee in a deal for Greinke. Those are A+/A level prospects, but a deal will probably be headlined by an A-/couple B+ type guys to warrant Milwaukee not just taking the picks when Greinke declines arbitration.

That's an absolutly reasonable approach. I agree somebody out there will prolly give up more than we are willing to.

And I think that will be a good thing, because Grienke isn't going to increase our win total by 5 games in a half season. I also don't think that Matusz or Arrietta scores Grienke. But everything is speculation at this point.

Absolutely. There's a point where the potential reward and the cost warrant a move being made. I think all of this is moot, though, unless Kranitz really really wants Matusz or Arrieta.

Archived