Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

But he isn't wrong.

Law is a snarky @ss, but he is correct. It seems too often on this board that people mistake quantity for quality. Offering 8 mid-level prospects and underachieving vets is not different than offering 2 mid-level prospects and underachieving vets.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Law is a snarky @ss, but he is correct. It seems too often on this board that people mistake quantity for quality. Offering 8 mid-level prospects and underachieving vets is not different than offering 2 mid-level prospects and underachieving vets.

How are these related? He's not criticizing any package of prospects, he's saying "why bother?":

Better question: Why would they be buyers? RT @harryhammel: @keithlaw What would it take to obtain Greinke from an Orioles perspective?

Because people are saying let's put Schoop together with miscellaneous piece A, B, and C.... and oh heck, throw in random piece D. MIL isn't going to say wow, that's 5 warm bodies when ATL is offering 2. They are going to look at the one or two top end prospects in the deal.

Law is saying, "don't buy because you're not good," not "put together better prospects." It's, like, exactly the opposite.

I'm happy to see everyone excited about the Orioles and we're all entitled to our opinions, but there are some pretty crazy things being thrown around in this thread.

First, about half the posts contain caveats along the lines of "with an extension". Does everyone understand that there is almost zero chance Greinke would want to sign an extension with any team that trades for him now? Why would he negotiate in a 48-72 hour window with a single team when he can negotiate for months with 30 teams? He and his agent would have to be complete idiots and Greinke is no idiot. It isn't going to happen.

It certainly isn't going to happen in Baltimore where he has zero ties and no real draw other than getting to pitch against great teams. If anyone has read anything about Greinke, he much prefers National League baseball for a lot of reasons. A big reason is that he loves to hit.

So, if we look at the reality that he will in fact be a two month rental that is likely to leave and will yield no compensation due to the new rules, what would you realistically give for him? If than answer is anything more than one ML ready player and a couple C prospects, you're nuts.

I'd love to see Greinke here. I'd love to "go for it" and make the play-offs. I'd also love to 21 again. None of those things is likely to happen.

And yet, I bet you buy a Ruth's Chris from time to time because you want something good and don't want to go to the trouble of cooking up a butcher steak. I think Duquette will spend in talent what is necessary to get a rental of someone that he thinks is good. Even if he over pays.

And yet, I bet you buy a Ruth's Chris from time to time because you want something good and don't want to go to the trouble of cooking up a butcher steak. I think Duquette will spend in talent what is necessary to get a rental of someone that he thinks is good. Even if he over pays.

I wouldn't if I only had $35 to my name.

Full disclosure, I think the most likely outcome for the team is 75-80 wins after the strong first half where they outperformed on a lot of metrics.

What is the probability that they're an 85 win team? 20%? Is that a high enough probability to bet you could buy 5 more games at the deadline? Is it enough of a likelihood to give up on a guy like Matusz or Arrieta?

Those are the kinds of questions that I ask myself when I look at the potential for a deal for Greinke. I'd be willing to move one of those pitchers, but I would haggle over the rest of the package. All of this would probably be meaningless, though, as Texas or Atlanta will probably beat any deal I'd offer.

It is time to have a winning season. For so many reasons.

If he trades anything of real worth for a rental of Greinke I'll stop posting. That's a wager that sounds like a threat. But I mean it. So, start rooting for a trade, folks.

I don't want you to stop posting. But I think he will give up more than either you or I would deem prudent. So please go back and edit your post to reflect that I have asked you to stay no matter what.

Archived