Is there any chance that Gausman does not sign?

Swampdonks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the thing that bothers me the most about these amateur atheletes. In a system like we have now, the more money you try to hold the team hostage for, means the less likely the team can make itself stronger by signing others. So, his greed could and likely will hurt the team as far as other potential last minute signees go.

Greed

The kid probably realizes that there's a better-than-average chance that this will be his last big payday in baseball and he needs to make it count.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Orioles: "Here's 3 million bucks."

Gausman: "No thanks, I want more."

Orioles: do nothing

4pm on Friday rolls around...

Orioles: "Here's 2.5 million bucks. Take it or have fun in school."

Gausman: "Deal!"

Yep and pigs could fly with enough wingspan. Not happening.

This is the thing that bothers me the most about these amateur atheletes. In a system like we have now, the more money you try to hold the team hostage for, means the less likely the team can make itself stronger by signing others. So, his greed could and likely will hurt the team as far as other potential last minute signees go.

Greed

The kid has a slot recommendation number attached to his draft spot. He has no reason not to try and get that amount. I'll consider him greedy if it comes out that he was holding out for over slot. As long as he's going for slot or less, I have no problem with kid trying to get as much as he can. It's not his worry or concern how his bonus effects others.

The kid has a slot recommendation number attached to his draft spot. He has no reason not to try and get that amount. I'll consider him greedy if it comes out that he was holding out for over slot. As long as he's going for slot or less, I have no problem with kid trying to get as much as he can. It's not his worry or concern how his bonus effects others.

I think there's also a chance that the O's are playing hardball to try and free up some overslot money for a couple other picks.

I don't know why I think this, but I have this vague idea that Gausman was supposed to sign for significantly less than slot.

That is the problem. I think he is going for more than slot

I think there's also a chance that the O's are playing hardball to try and free up some overslot money for a couple other picks.

I don't know why I think this, but I have this vague idea that Gausman was supposed to sign for significantly less than slot.

Seems like he only made that offer if he was going to be the #1 pick. Since he isn't, I think he is trying to get all he can, and more

Courtesy of Rotoworld

Baseball America's Jim Callis reports that the Marlins will not sign first-round pick Andrew Heaney.

Heaney, a lefty out of Oklahoma State, was selected ninth overall in last month's Amateur Draft. But the Fish didn't offer anything close to the $2.8 million recommended bonus for that slot, according to Callis. It sounds like bad planning on the part of Marlins management. They've spent big money on other parts of their draft class.

What a howler from the Marlins, will Heaney go to court or will the Marlins be forced to offer slot by MLB ?

Courtesy of Rotoworld

Baseball America's Jim Callis reports that the Marlins will not sign first-round pick Andrew Heaney.

Heaney, a lefty out of Oklahoma State, was selected ninth overall in last month's Amateur Draft. But the Fish didn't offer anything close to the $2.8 million recommended bonus for that slot, according to Callis. It sounds like bad planning on the part of Marlins management. They've spent big money on other parts of their draft class.

What a howler from the Marlins, will Heaney go to court or will the Marlins be forced to offer slot by MLB ?

I assume he is a senior? I dont think they can force them to make a certain offer. It is possible that he could simply be made a free agent. This would be a very dangerous precedent to set though.

I wouldnt be surprised if this was a calculated move by the Marlins. They sign all their other guys. Then they low ball a college senior, and force MLB to make the call. If they force the Marlins to pay slot, then MLB is approving them spending over their cap #

I'd say that it's not looking good. Almost all of the other 1st round picks have signed, and the ones that haven't are rumored to go back next year. I'd say if a deal was going to be done, it would have been done already. Ironic that the main reason we drafted him was signability.

Nahhh...I say it gets done.

As far as the signability...is that really so...I'm not sure I'd heard that before in regard to Gausman.

Greed

It is not greed.

These top players get the biggest bonus, but they will likely have the biggest payout. Remember, these kids are forced to accept the major league minimum for three seasons and arbitration for three more before become free agents. Kids putting up big numbers as in 2.5-3+ WAR are producing value in the $10-$15+M neighborhood while being paid the league minimum (think Trout/Trumbo/Kershaw). These kids should do what is in their best interest and get the biggest signing bonus they can. I do not begrudge them that.

MLB's draft rules are so bizarre. MLB should just require all the teams to pay every kid the exact slot money throughout the entire draft ...it takes out the agents, it is fair to all teams, teams can plan their budgets, and it gets out of this dumb game playing by teams and agents over slot, cap, penalties, etc.

Archived