Guthrie available as a salary dump (Guthrie traded to KC)

wildcard

As a salary dump?? Why on earth wouldn't we take that chance? Worst case scenario he fails miserably for a few games and we send him down to AAA.

Nest case scenario he rounds into form after getting the hell out of Coors Field and we pick up a solid back end of the rotation guy to shore up a shaky shaky pitching staff that has no on reliable right now outside of Chen and maybe Gonzalez (and he's yet to prove anything although he has looked solid in his two games against two tough lineups so far).

Getting him for a few million and no prospects in return? Sign me up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be a very good move. Guthrie seems like one of the most visible "good guys" in baseball right now so if Buck has some undefined problem with him, I think he should get over it. I've never heard a negative word about him. However, the Rockies might be almost too humiliated to send him back to us. It would be pretty brutal PR for them.

Maybe we could help them save face by involving more players. Is there a Rockie we would want that is worth a trade?

End of Aug. rotation:

Hammel

Chen

WRod

Guts

and one of Gonzo II, Matusz, Tillman, Britton, Arrieta, Hunter. Looks good to me.

Can we just pause for a moment to think how insane a scenario where Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Hunter and Tillman are fighting for the 5th starter would have appeared 6 months ago? A year ago? My God how far that group has fallen that they're "the field" fighting for the last spot in the rotation! And a journeyman has a leg up on them to boot. Sad.

Id take him in a heartbeat. I know he'd pitch well at OPCY .He knows the hitters in the AL East and he had a good road ERA in the NL. Get him.
This. Why isn't he here now. Get it done.

I'm at a loss as well as to why it hasn't happened yet. I totally agree with the opinions above.

My only fear is that DD must simply hate the guy. He traded him as soon as he got into town and won't return the Rockies phone calls begging him to take Guthrie back.

I'm at a loss as well as to why it hasn't happened yet. I totally agree with the opinions above.

My only fear is that DD must simply hate the guy. He traded him as soon as he got into town and won't return the Rockies phone calls begging him to take Guthrie back.

How do you know Dan doesn't take the calls?

Maybe we could help them save face by involving more players. Is there a Rockie we would want that is worth a trade?

I think Scutaro is a perfect pickup we should be targeting hard. Count me as one who does not want Guthrie back at all though. If he's included within a trade that can land Scutaro reasonably then fine.

I think Scutaro is a perfect pickup we should be targeting hard. Count me as one who does not want Guthrie back at all though. If he's included within a trade that can land Scutaro reasonably then fine.

But Scutaro is 36-years-old and I believe in the last year of his contract: he's not a long-term solution and can probably be had for very little after this season.

But Scutaro is 36-years-old and I believe in the last year of his contract: he's not a long-term solution and can probably be had for very little after this season.
Fine by me. I only want Scutaro for this season.

He has a team option for next year. I think he is a long term solution. At least I would want to keep him around next season. He would fill the void we have at 2B next year. He doesn't K and he gets on base with a solid glove. The FA class of 2B is horrendous besides him, so instead of him being overpaid in FA next off season, we can assure him to be on the team this season and next season

I'd think there are a half dozen teams that would be willing to take a chance on Guts for ~$2M the rest of the season. You'd have to assume if Colorado had the choice, they'd be sending him anywhere but Baltimore. It just makes the deal seem that much worse. Especially if he were able to return to form upon his return.

The off-season deal was a sunk cost for them, irrelevant to future decision making. It would be better to send him to us than an NL East or even any NL team.

I think the Rockies would be thrilled to trade Guthrie to a division rival and then have the opportunity to face him at Coors field.

Archived