Hope Dan is on the Phones....

Greg

If he is willing to sign an extension I will put that information in my back pocket and try and sign him in the offseason.

I don't believe this is a playoff team, sorry, I just don't see it.

Do you think PA is going to be willing to cut the check that it will take to sign Hamels?

I don't think DD even takes the job this offseason without assurances that PA is going to do what's necessary to win. The O's need a TOR starter. If the Phillies could afford 4 of them, then the O's can afford one of them.

I'm not sure the O's have a TOR in the system now with the exception of Bundy, who's likely a couple of years away. To me, the O's have to get a pitcher of Cole's quality from somewhere if they want to contend in the future - either by trade or through free agency. They don't have the prospects to get a TOR who signed long term without giving up Machado or Bundy, so I think it's going to have to be a FA and that means a big, big contract.

Trade for Hamels (or Grienke), give him a 6 year contract and pay the man. Then we have one of the TOR starters we need to be competitive down the road and we get better for the stretch run this season.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think DD even takes the job this offseason without assurances that PA is going to do what's necessary to win. The O's need a TOR starter. If the Phillies could afford 4 of them, then the O's can afford one of them.

How long had DD been out of baseball? I don't think he was making a lot of demands.

I would love to see them sign him, I just have not seen evidence that PA is willing to pay current FA rates for a TOR starting pitcher.

How long had DD been out of baseball? I don't think he was making a lot of demands.

I would love to see them sign him, I just have not seen evidence that PA is willing to pay current FA rates for a TOR starting pitcher.

I know some people who know DD from his Boston days (have family there). He's apparently not the kind of guy who'd take any job just to get back in baseball. This is second hand of course, but I've heard this from two different sources. I don't think he was begging PA for a job and I don't think he'd go anywhere if he felt he had no chance of fielding a winning team.

I'm not sure the O's have a TOR in the system now with the exception of Bundy, who's likely a couple of years away. To me, the O's have to get a pitcher of Cole's quality from somewhere if they want to contend in the future - either by trade or through free agency. They don't have the prospects to get a TOR who signed long term without giving up Machado or Bundy, so I think it's going to have to be a FA and that means a big, big contract.

Trade for Hamels (or Grienke), give him a 6 year contract and pay the man. Then we have one of the TOR starters we need to be competitive down the road and we get better for the stretch run this season.

He's talked about it before in the past. He supports (at least publicly) Angelos's policy on pitching contracts.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/11/duquette_on_day_2_dont_expect.html

And like another poster said...DD really wasn't in a position to be making many demands.

I am guessing that Dain45 would make that deal.

Yes, I would trade Machado for Johnson in a straight one for one deal. If they asked for more I would move on. Call me crazy but I would rather have Johnson then Hamels. I just don't see anyway Hamels signs a extension with us. Plus having a Hamel and a Hamel's would be rather confusing. Hahaha

Yes, I would trade Machado for Johnson in a straight one for one deal. If they asked for more I would move on. Call me crazy but I would rather have Johnson then Hamels. I just don't see anyway Hamels signs a extension with us. Plus having a Hamel and a Hamel's would be rather confusing. Hahaha

He was hurt last year, has a 4.35 ERA and a WHIP of 1.399. Trading Machado for him would be beyond stupid

How would folks here feel about a Liriano, Span, and a prospect for one of Matusz or Arrieta? Both situations are buy low in terms of the pitchers that would be going in the deals. And Span can play LF and you'd have a nice outfield with Markakis, Jones and Span. And in the lineup you can bat Span in the 2 spot and move Hardy down in the 7-9 range. What say you?

Fire away

Archived