Hope Dan is on the Phones....

Greg

How would folks here feel about a Liriano, Span, and a prospect for one of Matusz or Arrieta? Both situations are buy low in terms of the pitchers that would be going in the deals. And Span can play LF and you'd have a nice outfield with Markakis, Jones and Span. And in the lineup you can bat Span in the 2 spot and move Hardy down in the 7-9 range. What say you?

Fire away

So you think you can get Span, Liriano, and a prospect for Jake or Brian?

I don't know how Liriano is a upgrade, Span is just okay...but Our guys have been really bad this year as well.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not worry about what the Yankees, Tigers and Rangers do at the deadline. They are likely division winners and the O's are not going to catch the Yankees. Oakland is probably not a buyer because of the financial situation. The teams to watch are the White Sox, Red Sox, Jays, Rays and Angels. There is the competition of the Wild Card.

105.7 FM is speculating that a multiplayer trade involving Polanco is close...Heard it on the radio so take it FWIW.

Great we're helping Phils by taking all their scraps for prospects. Polanco is done.

I would not worry about what the Yankees, Tigers and Rangers do at the deadline. They are likely division winners and the O's are not going to catch the Yankees. Oakland is probably not a buyer because of the financial situation. The teams to watch are the White Sox, Red Sox, Jays, Rays and Angels. There is the competition of the Wild Card.

well the O's were 10 games out a week ago and dropped it to six. So to say with a few good moves they couldnt get back within a couple days is giving up too early IMO.

My hope is that if Dan is on the phone, he's getting a busy signal.

The O's have been punching about their weight all season, and I don't think this teams ends up in the playoffs with or without a trade. I just want to wake up on August 1 with Machado, Bundy and Schoop still in the organization.

If Dan can make a minor move (e.g., Polanco) without giving up anything significant, then fine, but we shouldn't even consider Hamels. If you love Hamels, buy him in the off-season.

The O's have been punching about their weight all season, and I don't think this teams ends up in the playoffs with or without a trade. I just want to wake up on August 1 with Machado, Bundy and Schoop still in the organization.

If Dan can make a minor move (e.g., Polanco) without giving up anything significant, then fine, but we shouldn't even consider Hamels. If you love Hamels, buy him in the off-season.

I would much rather have Scutaro than Polanco in this situation. Similar players but I think Scutaro is less "over the hill"

When is the last time a big-time free agent wanted to come here? All this buy him in the offseason retoric is not taking into consideration that past 14 years of free agent frustration, with a few exceptions (Tejada & Belle).

When is the last time a big-time free agent wanted to come here? All this buy him in the offseason retoric is not taking into consideration that past 14 years of free agent frustration, with a few exceptions (Tejada & Belle).

And those exceptions are now old exceptions.

And..... who is the last top tier FA that signed somewhere else and we thought the FO should have surpassed the deal?

And..... who is the last top tier FA that signed somewhere else and we thought the FO should have surpassed the deal?

How about Teixera? People on here were screaming for him and pissed that the O's didn't make a similar bid. You are in fact assisting in my point. The O's are not financially equipped to get into a bidding war. Hammels and Greinke will go to the highest bidder which will be one of the bigger markets. The O's can't and won't, again last 14 years, outspend them. The only option on those 2, in my opinion, is a trade and extend. Unfortunately that seems unlikely at best.

How about Teixera? People on here were screaming for him and pissed that the O's didn't make a similar bid. You are in fact assisting in my point. The O's are not financially equipped to get into a bidding war. Hammels and Greinke will go to the highest bidder which will be one of the bigger markets. The O's can't and won't, again last 14 years, outspend them. The only option on those 2, in my opinion, is a trade and extend. Unfortunately that seems unlikely at best.

I agree that Tex qualifies. and I do agree with your point. I just don't like the "cheapness" factor being attributed to the organization when the list of players we should have signed for the money they got or more is probably less than 5 over the last 14 years. Guerrero and perhaps Derrick Lee could be added to the list.

Archived