Nate McLouth can exercise opt out clause on Friday

Greg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to see what the fuss was about, so I looked at the numbers. They're horrible. In AAA. Swapping him for Chavez would be a wash at best.

He has 10 homers doesn't he? In Norfolk? He has been hot as of late because he started off slow, so I would have to strongly disagree with you.

I wanted to see what the fuss was about, so I looked at the numbers. They're horrible. In AAA. Swapping him for Chavez would be a wash at best.

Look deeper at the numbers:

McLouth is 3 years younger than Chavez.

In July his slash line was .275/.356/.569/.925

In 2,378 career ABs - .246/.335/.420/.755

Chavez in 2,614 career ABs - .270/.309/.369/.678

DD says he values OBP - then he should make this switch.

He started off slow but has been much better of late. He's probably an upgrade over Chavez, but the Orioles are very heavy with infielders with Andino coming back so I'm not sure who goes if he comes up.

He started off slow but has been much better of late. He's probably an upgrade over Chavez, but the Orioles are very heavy with infielders with Andino coming back so I'm not sure who goes if he comes up.
Why not send down Britton?

Whose numbers? McLouth's? .786 OPS horrible.?

His offensive numbers are ok. There's usually not a huge dropoff between Norfolk and MLB numbers because of the park. Although his recent MLB numbers have been abysmal.

But he's not a good outfielder. He's a terrible center fielder, and I'm not convinced he's a lot better on the corners. So a .700-.750 OPS guy with poor defense is arguably no better than what's already on the roster.

Since Chavez' OPS bottomed out at .294 on May 2nd he's been the .633 OPS guy with good defense we always wanted!

With a career .678 OPS and .749 last year, I think the Orioles were looking for more than a .633 OPS guy with good defense. Chavez has struggled with injuries but when he's been given a chance he hasn't performed. I don't think McLouth is some savior, but his .797 OPS against righties suggest he could give us a little more pop then what Chavez brings to the table. I'd rather see a McLouth/Ford platoon in LF then a Ford/Chavez just because there may be a little upside with McLouth. Either way though, I'm not going to be too upset one way or the other.

His offensive numbers are ok. There's usually not a huge dropoff between Norfolk and MLB numbers because of the park. Although his recent MLB numbers have been abysmal.

But he's not a good outfielder. He's a terrible center fielder, and I'm not convinced he's a lot better on the corners. So a .700-.750 OPS guy with poor defense is arguably no better than what's already on the roster.

My only point is I don't think his MiL numbers are horrible. He might be an upgrade in a platoon with Ford, and is his defense any worse than Davis' in LF?

Norfolk Tides ‏@NorfolkTides

Tonight's lineup: Avery CF, Adams 2B, Hoes LF, Mahoney 1B, Hall DH, Exposito C, Waring 3B, Hoffmann RF, Wheeler SS, Arrieta P #orioles

Nate not in lineup tonight

Archived