Orioles plan to select the contract of INF Manny Machado

Greg

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Yes, Manny Machado has officially played just two games at 3B. He's also been working out there CONSTANTLY of late.

Which means that Duquette has been thinking about this for a while now IMO. If the Orioles call up Bundy when rosters expand I am going to go ape-s#$^

In some other thread I said that I'd be shocked if he was brought up in a non-expanded roster before the middle of next year or maybe even '14. Hence.... Re: 3B, I have always believed that if he saw significant playing time with Hardy still on the roster, it would be at third. This will be very interesting.

Yes and his stats in the start last night werent very impressive. It could be that they are having him focus on his secondaries ...But I believe he gave up 4 er in 6 innings.

They take away what could be a major league plus pitch right now and say go get em'. This kid is going to unleash ace stuff when he is authorized to throw all of his pitches IMO.

Going from any other infield position to short is a very tough transition. Moving a shortstop to third is not as tough a task. Third is more of a lean and a dive deal where the required range is limited to some degree. Both require good arms, but the throws tend to be longer at short on any ball to your right. I see your point, but I am not as worried in the move from short to third. I would worry more if we moved Hardy from short to third, but that is just my opinion.

I understand that, and I'm not horribly worried. I just think that it would make sense to get him a little experience there in AA first. McNulty's comment that he's been working out there allays that somewhat.

They take away what could be a major league plus pitch right now and say go get em'. This kid is going to unleash ace stuff when he is authorized to throw all of his pitches IMO.

Do you know this for sure? I believe its totally possible ...But you would think they'd let him show off the fastball in his AA debut.

If Machado hits 8th with Quintanilla (who is currently batting .310ish) 9th that COULD give us some real solid hitting 1-9. I'd be very excited about 8, 9, 1 of Machado, Quintanilla and Markakis coming back through the lineup again.

Love this move. There is little to no pressure on him right now, if he fails, well, he's 20 and no one was really expecting much anyways.

But if he succeeds........and we get Hammel back soon......and two or possibly even all 3 of Tillman/Gonzo/Johnson continue to pitch effectively.

My god, I haven't been this excited in a long time. I may in fact be driving up from Norfolk to Baltimore THIS WEEKEND. That is how excited I am.

Would love to watch Tillman go on Saturday and see Machado have an impact at third. Here's the thing though, he doesn't even have to hit really. Just be better defensively that Wilson Betemit at third, allow Betemit to platoon at DH from his much better side and right then and there like, you have upgraded the team.

If we get offense from him too though? Man oh man. And the worst case scenario is he struggles mightily, and we go back to a platoon of Betemit/Andino. Love this move.

Why not????

Baltimore Orioles ‏@Orioles

The #Orioles plan to select the contract of INF Manny Machado from Double-A Bowie Thursday. He will be making his major league debut.

I just dont beleive he is ready for the majors. Oh well I hope it works out for him and the O's.

Which means that Duquette has been thinking about this for a while now IMO. If the Orioles call up Bundy when rosters expand I am going to go ape-s#$^

Two starts ago, DD was in the stands to watch Bundy pitch. Maybe that was because they were thinking of promoting him to AA. but it could be he was watching to see how he could help the big league team this year.

Archived