Orioles plan to select the contract of INF Manny Machado

Greg

Do you have cable TV? I think the game is actually MLBNetwork's Thursday Night Baseball game this week.

We have a TV, but it doesn't have a converter box so the channels don't go high enough for MLBNetwork. Sucks working 2nd shift. I rely on MLB.TV on my work pc, my cell or my tablet while working.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just read the entire thread after reading the news and I'm shocked. I don't know how to feel. I was trying to think who they could bring up, maybe Hall in a platoon with Betemit. This move hopefully takes care of that. Are they going to platoon Machado with the "meat"? I'd rather see him full time and have Betemit platoon with Reynolds.

No one has mentioned 2B, though. It should open it up for Buck to platoon Andino and Q there now.

As I think about it it looks to me as if they feel Manny can give them plus D at 3B and at least as good offense as Andino, possibly better. That allows them to make Betemit the DH until Thome is back and Davis in LF with Ford. McLouth would be the 4th OF, and Andino can platoon with Q at 2B.

Ha, didn't see this. I just don't want Betemit DHing full time with his awful splits from the R side.

No issues at all with the move, but wouldn't it have made sense to start him at 3rd for a week or so in the minors? If he makes a couple of errors upfront, it's going to snowball. I remember Roberts' trying to play SS when he came up. Different position, circumstances, and talents for sure, but I think a little more practice would have been prudent.

You don't have to understand what I'm saying. But if you played and talk to coaches most will tell you the same. The biggest difference in the quality of baseball is between A and AA.

I generaly agree with this, but I would guess you get more finesse pitchers in AAA than AA and more exposure to some better offspeed stuff.

No issues at all with the move, but wouldn't it have made sense to start him at 3rd for a week or so in the minors? If he makes a couple of errors upfront, it's going to snowball. I remember Roberts' trying to play SS when he came up. Different position, circumstances, and talents for sure, but I think a little more practice would have been prudent.

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Yes, Manny Machado has officially played just two games at 3B. He's also been working out there CONSTANTLY of late.

Going from any other infield position to short is a very tough transition. Moving a shortstop to third is not as tough a task. Third is more of a lean and a dive deal where the required range is limited to some degree. Both require good arms, but the throws tend to be longer at short on any ball to your right. I see your point, but I am not as worried in the move from short to third. I would worry more if we moved Hardy from short to third, but that is just my opinion.

Archived