Mitchell Report circus has past, Now lets Move on

Peace21

This is very true.

With the Grimsley stuff having already been out there, this had the potential to be far uglier for Roberts.

I'll also admit to thinking there would be much worse things about Roberts, and that was before I knew Bigbie was one of the sources. I'm very relieved that Roberts wasn't more involved. I really don't think this will hurt his trade value at all, it just might delay a trade for a few days so things can settle down a bit.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still not fully in the trade Roberts camp.....and yes, I know he can return a couple of very good players despite the wacked out Mitchell Report. I'd just like for the FO to make the Bedard trade first and see if that, along with the Tejada trade and some FA signing, fills most of the present holes, and potential holes in the near future. Admittedly, this desire is the result of liking Roberts both as a player, and for what he does in the community. If we don't trade him, my gut feeling is he will sign to stay here.

If we don't trade him, my gut feeling is he will sign to stay here.

I don't know. When I watched him on Anita Marks last week he said he doesn't want to stay here if Tejada and Bedard are traded. Well he didn't specifically say that, but he said he doesn't want to be the "last man standing" in the case of a rebuild. So we could keep him for a few years and hope he changes his mind, in the meantime making him miserable by trading away all of the other good players, or we can go for this thing 100% and give him up to the highest bidder. I vote for the latter.

I'll also admit to thinking there would be much worse things about Roberts, and that was before I knew Bigbie was one of the sources. I'm very relieved that Roberts wasn't more involved. I really don't think this will hurt his trade value at all, it just might delay a trade for a few days so things can settle down a bit.

The only positive thing I can pull out of all of this is that I really, really hope that all of the O's dirty laundry has been reported...I just can't imagine after all the investigations surrounding our team that there is more to be found...even though some people might consider me foolish for thinking that way. I just hope there are no more "Raffy-gate" type surprises, and we can move past this once and for all.

I personally was pretty surprised that Roberts got mentioned even though there were rumors before...and though I am all for rebuilding the team I am still hoping that he will stick around for the long term, and be a fixture on this team when we start truly competing in our division (hopefully sooner than later!)

If Pie is really off limits, then I go after Murton, Gallagher, Veal, and Patterson for Roberts. Then I try to get Cueto, Votto, Hamilton and Encarnacion from the Reds for Bedard and Scott.

any reason why you and others want to ship Scott off so fast? I think he would be a very good bench/platoon type guy.

This is my first time posting here, but I figured now that were talking our favorite crab cake hotspots, it's an ideal time to get in on the action. Just went to Romano's the other day, and they're money, but nobody can compare to G & M's in Baltimore Highlands. Just had to throw that in there.

I been reading these posts for the last few weeks, since the O"s are actually doing something I finally approve of (completely rebuilding of course). I think our next step should be to trade Roberts to the Cubs or to whoever else they can get good value for. PIcking up PIe and Gallagher sounds good to me, we have a new CF and another SP. After this happens, we still have alot of options available, especially with all of the SP;s with some potential (to trade) and some bums to still get rid of. But I think its completely necessary to trade Roberts before Bedard. This would put the Mariners and Reds on their heels, imo. We then sit on Bedard for a few weeks and have people wondering whether we're even going to trade him anymore, the free agent market dries up even worse then it is now, and we have even more leverage (hopefully the santana trade is completed too, even though it doesn't affect us that much). ONce some of these teams interested in Bedard start missing out on certain free agents, they realize they need to do something, and get agressive and start offering more. I just think people think we need to trade Bedard more than we really need too. The Orioles are in a position to sit on their demands for a while. Wait for Bruce to become available, more to be offered with JONes, see if the Cards to imagine a way to come up with more than just Rasmus, and see if that "mystery" team makes a push forward. Personally, I don't see how we went from like 11 or 12 teams to just 2 teams that quickly. I know a lot of teams probably couldn't meet our demands, but there's gotta be a few teams out there willing to put up their top 2-3 prospects.

JUst to finish my novel here and throw in my two cents, if we can do the Cubs deal stated above, my first perference for the Bedard trade is the Reds, thats just because I think Bruce will become available, although I have no clue what they will offer with him. HEy, if Maybin can be traded along with some other "untouchables" being in reported deals, I Think bruce can be had too. How about Bedard, OLsen/PEnn for Bruce, Hamilton/EE, a lesser pitching prospect or two. I think we could send the Reds two SP for their staff and who knows, maybe get Votto or Bailey/Cueto in the package with Bruce as well. For all the accolades Bruce has recieved, why in the world, if he's so good, would the Reds have not brought him up towards the end of the year and let him get regular playing time; since he was blowing up the minor leagues. At least, I'm pretty sure they werent in the playoff race all that much and i dont think they called him up, but hey i could be wrong. Sorry for the book, I Just figured Id put in my two cents, take it easy on the bashing, just a virgin here.

any reason why you and others want to ship Scott off so fast? I think he would be a very good bench/platoon type guy.
He'd be better than a very good bench/platoon type guy. He's an everyday starter out there most likely.

I'd trade him because he's already 29 and he isn't a guy who I'd expect to have a terrible long MLB career. Guys who don't make it to the show until 27 usually don't last for more than a handful of years if that. I'd trade him now while he's still got value rather than get a few cheap years of production our of him when we really don't need it.

I really think a package of Bedard and Scott could net Cueto, Hamilton, Votto, and Encarnacion, which would set us up very nicely.

He'd be better than a very good bench/platoon type guy. He's an everyday starter out there most likely.

I'd trade him because he's already 29 and he isn't a guy who I'd expect to have a terrible long MLB career. Guys who don't make it to the show until 27 usually don't last for more than a handful of years if that. I'd trade him now while he's still got value rather than get a few cheap years of production our of him when we really don't need it.

I really think a package of Bedard and Scott could net Cueto, Hamilton, Votto, and Encarnacion, which would set us up very nicely.

Yes, very true - but I think it's wrong to use a standard heuristic like that with regard to Scott. He got a late start and so didn't even begin pro ball until he was 24. Wich means he wasn't someone who lingered for seven years in the minors before being called up at 27.

Archived