The Pirates may not break their losing streak after all

Frobby

It seemed a foregone conclusion, when the Pirates were 63-47, that this would be the year they ended their streak of losing seasons, which currently stands at 19 years.

Since then, the Pirates have gone 9-21. They are at 72-68 after losing their last 4 in a row.

I'm pullling for the Pirates to end their streak. I'm still harboring a grudge about the 1971 and 1979 World Series, but for their fans, 19 years is enough pain.

If the O's and Pirates both end their streaks, who has the longest string of losing seasons in MLB? I believe it is the Royals, whose streak is likely to extend to 9 years (and 18 out of 19) this season.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's Pittsburgh. I hope the misery never ends.

This.

At this point I hope the players get to celebrate a winning season even though the playoffs were in their grasp until recently. It wont be much of a celebration, but I hope the streak ends for their sake.

Let the Pittsburgh fans toil away in misery for a little longer. They have the Steelers and Penguins to comfort them and they wont let you forget it either.

The state of Pennsylvania has had a whole lot of major league suck:

1) Pirates' current 19 year streak.

2) The Pirates' best season from '50-56 was 66-88, and had a 42-win 1952.

3) The Phils had a run from '18 to '48 with one (78-76) winning season

4) The '64 Phils were 6.5 games ahead on Sept 20th, then lost 10 straight.

5) The Philly A's drew so well they moved away, and had 10 100-loss campaigns in 54 years.

6) The Altoona entry in the Union Association disbanded after going 6-19.

7) The 1890 Pirates went 23-113.

And meanwhile, the Phillies who were given up for dead months ago are now at .500 and if St Louis loses, could be just 4 games off the pace for the final WC spot.

The Brewers could be there too, as they're also at an even 71-71 right now. It's a long shot of course, but we're looking at a very interesting last three weeks if those trends continue.

This.

At this point I hope the players get to celebrate a winning season even though the playoffs were in their grasp until recently. It wont be much of a celebration, but I hope the streak ends for their sake.

Let the Pittsburgh fans toil away in misery for a little longer. They have the Steelers and Penguins to comfort them and they wont let you forget it either.

Yea but most Steelers and Penguins fans I know are Yankees fans when it comes to baseball :rolleyes:

The Pirates lost again tonight and are now 72-70. They're 2-1/2 behind the second wild card spot in the NL and are 2-8 in their last 10 games, and 5-16 in their last 21. The Phillies and Brewers, meanwhile are both 72-71 and sport respective last-10 records of 8-2 and 7-3. Looking pretty grim for the Pirates.

Archived