Adam Dunn on the Block?

lofireve

The growing sentiment out of Cincy is that Dunn must go. This frustration stems from 194 K this year and less than inspiring defense. Wayne Krivsky, the Reds GM, is on record as saying, “I don’t like strikeouts. I’d give up home runs for (fewer) strikeouts.” Combine this with the $10.5 million Dunn is owed next year and it becomes clear that Dunn could very well be moved this off-season.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061015/COL09/610150354/1071/SPT04

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061014/SPT05/610140395/1035/SPT

Should the O’s be interested? Certainly. Although one can not ignore the Ks, Dunn still pounded 40 home runs and reached base at a .360 clip this year. The OBP dropped from .388 in ‘04 and .387 in ‘05. It is a fair bet, however, that with more protection and a change of scenery, Dunn will rebound to near a .380 OBP. He will only be 27 next season.

The plan would be to trade for Dunn and leave him in LF for 2007. His defense is of concern, but would be adequate. We put Gibbons at 1st and sign a legitimate DH (Thomas, Sheffield, Alou, or perhaps even Bonds). The rest of the off-season would consist of adding a FA pitcher (probably of the Meche variety) and improving the bullpen.

What would it take? Like almost every other team in the league, the Reds would want pitching. The Reds also desire an outfielder and a shortstop. A realistic swap could include Penn and either a bullpen arm (Hoey on the high end or Rheal) or a young OF (Fiorentino).

This plan of action is desirable for three reasons. First, Dunn is the legitimate power threat that our line-up lacks. Second, he is reasonably priced - $10.5 million next year, with a team option for $13 million in 2008. Dunn, however, may opt out of this option if he is traded. Finally, although he struggled last year, he is entering his prime years.

Of course, this proposal is not without risks. Dunn may opt out of this contract after next year if traded. He could be difficult to resign and may want to play in his native Texas. Ultimately, we could give up a pitcher with a bright future for a one-year rental.

Rarely, however, is there an acquisition without risks. As well, it is uncertain if we will be able to lure a top-flight free-agent, the likes of Soriano, Lee, or A.Ram. (if available), to Baltimore. Given this and given the need for positive action, Dunn may be the right choice.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though they want him gone in Cincy they still probably want someone good back in return. Our better bet is to go with Burrell, we would only have to give up Lopez and a C+ prospect.

Or better yet, since Burrell has the no-trade clause, you explore both possibilities as neither one is solid, and the O's too often seem to lack back-up plans.

The growing sentiment out of Cincy is that Dunn must go. This frustration stems from 194 K this year and less than inspiring defense. Wayne Krivsky, the Reds GM, is on record as saying, “I don’t like strikeouts. I’d give up home runs for (fewer) strikeouts.” Combine this with the $10.5 million Dunn is owed next year and it becomes clear that Dunn could very well be moved this off-season.

This seems like a monumentally foolish philosophy for a major-league GM to have. Am I wrong?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061015/COL09/610150354/1071/SPT04

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061014/SPT05/610140395/1035/SPT

Should the O’s be interested? Certainly. Although one can not ignore the Ks, Dunn still pounded 40 home runs and reached base at a .360 clip this year. The OBP dropped from .388 in ‘04 and .387 in ‘05. It is a fair bet, however, that with more protection and a change of scenery, Dunn will rebound to near a .380 OBP. He will only be 27 next season.

The plan would be to trade for Dunn and leave him in LF for 2007. His defense is of concern, but would be adequate. We put Gibbons at 1st and sign a legitimate DH (Thomas, Sheffield, Alou, or perhaps even Bonds). The rest of the off-season would consist of adding a FA pitcher (probably of the Meche variety) and improving the bullpen.

What would it take? Like almost every other team in the league, the Reds would want pitching. The Reds also desire an outfielder and a shortstop. A realistic swap could include Penn and either a bullpen arm (Hoey on the high end or Rheal) or a young OF (Fiorentino).

This plan of action is desirable for three reasons. First, Dunn is the legitimate power threat that our line-up lacks. Second, he is reasonably priced - $10.5 million next year, with a team option for $13 million in 2008. Dunn, however, may opt out of this option if he is traded. Finally, although he struggled last year, he is entering his prime years.

Of course, this proposal is not without risks. Dunn may opt out of this contract after next year if traded. He could be difficult to resign and may want to play in his native Texas. Ultimately, we could give up a pitcher with a bright future for a one-year rental.

Rarely, however, is there an acquisition without risks. As well, it is uncertain if we will be able to lure a top-flight free-agent, the likes of Soriano, Lee, or A.Ram. (if available), to Baltimore. Given this and given the need for positive action, Dunn may be the right choice.

No way I give up Penn and Hoey for Dunn.

I used to live in the Cincy area. Have seen Dunn many times. I like him, personally. He is a butcher in the field, no way around it. He is the classic DH though, the ball just booms off his bat- when he hits it. I wonder if Crow could work his..magic? Still, Penn and Hoey way too much.

This seems like a monumentally foolish philosophy for a major-league GM to have. Am I wrong?

Oh no, stat guy wars, round 3,799 ;)

I do not think he is wrong, in principle, if he is saying that for HIS current lineup he needs more situational hitting, working counts, etc. To say it the way he did, however, is demonstrably false.

Oof, playing Gibbons at 1st and Dunn in LF is not a good way to make pitchers want to come here. I think if you trade for Dunn (a good thing), you want to include Gibbons in the trade or at least have one of them playing DH. But yeah, I'm all for getting Dunn. There aren't many 26 year olds who have 198 career homeruns - much less a career OPS of .892.

Of course you go after him but just be careful what you give up...His value is down and he is likely not to be here past 2008, when he becomes a FA. There will certainly be alot of interested for him though.

SG, you like three way deals. Could you see a viable three way with Cinci in which the O's get Tex and the Rangers get Dunn?

Oh no, stat guy wars, round 3,799 ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

All I know is, if we get him, we'll hear a LOT of whining next year about how much he strikes out.

But...nevermind the fact that he strikes out 190 times a year! His OBP was .365 last year!!

And yes, when he strikes out in key situations with RISP in late and close games, I'll be reminding each and every one of the pro-Dunn people how great his OBP is and that many strikeouts mean nothing.

SG, you like three way deals. Could you see a viable three way with Cinci in which the O's get Tex and the Rangers get Dunn?

Well Cinci obviously needs pitching, as does Texas.

I don't see this being viable to be honest...If Texas trades Tex, i gotta think they want pitching back, not another hitter.

And yes, when he strikes out in key situations with RISP in late and close games, I'll be reminding each and every one of the pro-Dunn people how great his OBP is and that many strikeouts mean nothing.

I know I sleep better at night after a GIDP with the bases loaded in the 9th. Strikeouts are just so embarassing they kill team chemistry.

Of course you go after him but just be careful what you give up...His value is down and he is likely not to be here past 2008, when he becomes a FA. There will certainly be alot of interested for him though.

He is not likely to stay in BAL past 2007, actually. A clause in his contract eliminates the team option for 2008 if he's traded.

He's not a real good fit for a team like the O's that's (IMO) more than one big bat away from serious contention in 2007.

Archived