Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

For me it's Brooks , period end of story. Cal ,regardless of how his comments are perceived,will always hold a close second because of his contribution to the Orioles legacy. Brooks was placed on a pedestal in my earliest baseball memories through stories handed down from family and from watching him play. Granted,I can only remember the tail end of his great tenure as an Oriole due to my age. He has never done or said anything to knock him off of that pedestal.

Childhood impressions of our idols remain with us throughout our lives unless something occurs that gives us pause.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always enjoyed Cal on the field, and am found of how he'd sign autographs and be charitable off the field. That said, I've never found him as a personable guy to talk to. Brooks is like a family member....whereas Cal is just a great baseball player.

Kinda like I love Ray Lewis, but Johnny U is Baltimore football (even though I never saw him play a single down).

Johnny U and Brooksie are the faces of Baltimore sports. And I think deep down, that irks Cal!

I always enjoyed Cal on the field, and am found of how he'd sign autographs and be charitable off the field. That said, I've never found him as a personable guy to talk to. Brooks is like a family member....whereas Cal is just a great baseball player.

Kinda like I love Ray Lewis, but Johnny U is Baltimore football (even though I never saw him play a single down).

Johnny U and Brooksie are the faces of Baltimore sports. And I think deep down, that irks Cal!

There are alot of factors that go into a persons makeup. Thinking, Brooks was influenced by where and when he was brought up. Growing up during the 30's, 40's and 50's is a lot different then during the 60's, 70's and 80's. And lets not even go into those growing up in the 21st century.

I think it's a complete load of @#$^!

Oh really? And you think Billy's comments during Cal's statue ceremony were just Billy spouting off on the fly? It sure sounded to me like a conversation the Ripken Family has had over the years about Cal not getting the respect they feel he deserved.

Look, I'm not gonna keep arguing this, as I loved Cal for many many MANY years. But since his retirement, there have been some circumstances that I have really questions things he's done. One of them being his commentary so far in these playoffs.

I know who I believe is Mr. Oriole.And everyone else here knows who I think it is.

By the way, I once asked Cal if he was Mr. Oriole and he laughed and said"No, thats Brooks Robinson".

I'm sure if I was old enough to have watched Brooks play I would think differently.

Oh really? And you think Billy's comments during Cal's statue ceremony were just Billy spouting off on the fly? It sure sounded to me like a conversation the Ripken Family has had over the years about Cal not getting the respect they feel he deserved.

Look, I'm not gonna keep arguing this, as I loved Cal for many many MANY years. But since his retirement, there have been some circumstances that I have really questions things he's done. One of them being his commentary so far in these playoffs.

So Billy makes a joke and you take it literal. :clap3:

I'm sure the motivation behind Cal doing these games is to be able to take jabs at Brooks and the Baltimore fan base.

So Billy makes a joke and you take it literal. :clap3:

A joke? He went on for a few minutes straight about the streak and the national writers....never mind. You're like talking to a wall.

I love both these guys, but Brooks is on a whole different level than Cal. Guys like Brooks and Johnny U come around once in a lifetime.

A joke? He went on for a few minutes straight about the streak and the national writers....never mind. You're like talking to a wall.

I love both these guys, but Brooks is on a whole different level than Cal. Guys like Brooks and Johnny U come around once in a lifetime.

How many Cal's have there been?

Archived