Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2012 at 9:44 AM, Tony-OH said:

Our demographics around her probably leans us heavily towards people who never saw Brooks Robinson play live. However, with all the things going on with Cal going out of his way to dismiss Brook Robinson as the best defensive third baseman of all time and how he seems to be also going out of his way to "not look like a homer" by slanting his comments towards the Yankees, who do you think is now Mr. Oriole?

I would imagine Cal would be a heavy favorite around here in the past, so now I'm wondering whether Cal's comments over the last few days has affected his standing among Orioles fans.

So if you could choose one ambassador for the Baltimore Orioles, who would it be? Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

This should not even be close Brooks Robinson in my book is the best ambassador for MLB ever.

I never met a nicer MLB player he's my childhood idol and tops in my mind and always will be,

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Kevin-Malone-Laugh.gif

I think I voted for Brooks. But of today's players there isn't one. It seems players back when Brooks played were more into the game. Today's players maybe not all  are into it for the money. Started with ARod. 25 million a year. Where Brooks made maybe 100 thousand a year. I know there is a big difference in 1950's and 60's money than today's. But goodness when owners started giving out these big contracts is when it went to hell in a hand basket. IMO Now to get back who is Mr. Oriole has to be Brooks then Cal Jr. 

It usually as to do with your age and what ERA you got hooked on baseball.

Im old as dirt, so it should be Brooks, but I wasn't an Oriole fan until they drafted the local boy, Cal Jr, and something clicked and I couldn't get enough of the Orioles and they soon became and still are my favorite baseball team, bar none.

Haven't rooted for Cal his entire career, for me personally, its Cal, hands down.

But, I totally get those that want Mr. Oriole to be Brooks.

25 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think I voted for Brooks. But of today's players there isn't one. It seems players back when Brooks played were more into the game. Today's players maybe not all  are into it for the money. Started with ARod. 25 million a year. Where Brooks made maybe 100 thousand a year. I know there is a big difference in 1950's and 60's money than today's. But goodness when owners started giving out these big contracts is when it went to hell in a hand basket. IMO Now to get back who is Mr. Oriole has to be Brooks then Cal Jr. 

Watching Jim Palmer and Brooks beat up on the Dodgers, on MASN this afternoon, makes me feel as if I missed the days when the game was at its best. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

You can find quotes from 1880 that say basically the same thing.  Stuff like "When professionals took over the game everyone was just in it for the money instead of the love of the game and now (1880) it's all gone to hell.  We'll never see players the likes of Joe Start and Dickey Pearce and Jim Creighton, amateurs playing for the love of baseball."

And you'll have no problem finding similar stuff written regular as clockwork with the same theme ever since.  Listen to the professional nostalgists and you'd conclude the whole world has been in a freefall pretty much forever.

It certainly is easier imagining the ballplayers being regular guys who play for the love of the game and their city when they're contractually bound to one team until that team has no more use for them, and they have no input into how much they make besides holding out.

Archived