Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can find quotes from 1880 that say basically the same thing.  Stuff like "When professionals took over the game everyone was just in it for the money instead of the love of the game and now (1880) it's all gone to hell.  We'll never see players the likes of Joe Start and Dickey Pearce and Jim Creighton, amateurs playing for the love of baseball."

And you'll have no problem finding similar stuff written regular as clockwork with the same theme ever since.  Listen to the professional nostalgists and you'd conclude the whole world has been in a freefall pretty much forever.

It certainly is easier imagining the ballplayers being regular guys who play for the love of the game and their city when they're contractually bound to one team until that team has no more use for them, and they have no input into how much they make besides holding out.

If this were posted by anyone but Drungo, I'd assume those were made up names just to make a point.

But I have no doubt that Joe Start, Dickey Pearce, and Jim Creighton really existed, probably around 1870 or something.

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

Says a guy bothered by Oriole related content, being posted on an Orioles forum, in the appropriate threads, in mid January. Nothing offends the healthy minded like free, pertinent, content. 

giphy.gif

It's just weird, my dude. The poll's been closed for years. Start a new thread. There's a button for it! Much easier than searching the archives to resurrect ancient threads.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Listen to the professional nostalgists and you'd conclude the whole world has been in a freefall pretty much forever.

If you read a history book or the front page of the Sun, it’s hard to disagree!

Where baseball is concerned, I’ve always loved the game.  But, it is changing in ways that I’m not sure I like.  And I’m pretty sure that the players aren’t fond of the way that the Mike Elias’s of the world place a value on their services.  The next round of negotiations for a new CBA are going to be a mess.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It's just weird, my dude. The poll's been closed for years. Start a new thread. There's a button for it! Much easier than searching the archives to resurrect ancient threads.

It took 20 seconds of extraordinary courtesy to search for a thread entitled Mr. Oriole, which was the impetus for sharing this article, on an Orioles forum, when nothing else is going on, for fans who may enjoy itThis thread was active in 2017, evidently you took no issue with it being rehashed for 5 years, but 15 days after 2018 has concluded, you’re bothered.

EverlastingPlumpFlyingfish-size_restrict

I’ve enjoyed the banter the thread has brought about, no doubt you’d take issue if I’d started a new thread, which begs the question, what’s really going on with our good pal interloper. One way or another, we’re going to survive this thing together.

kane_daniel_bryan_wwehug.gif?w=650

tenor.gif?itemid=6201363

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

If this were posted by anyone but Drungo, I'd assume those were made up names just to make a point.

But I have no doubt that Joe Start, Dickey Pearce, and Jim Creighton really existed, probably around 1870 or something.

Joe Start was a marginal HOF first baseman on reputation, but played a lot before pro leagues got going and some of his records are very spotty.

Dickey Pearce was known as one of the first great shortstops, stood something like 5' 3", may have invented the bunt, and helped push the owners to write the reserve clause by jumping teams whenever he got a good offer.

Jim Creighton may have been baseball's first star, certainly one of the first pitchers who tried to sneak in curves and other breaking pitches when the general idea was that the pitcher was just there to "pitch" the ball up so the batter could put it in play.  He died very young after rupturing an internal organ while hitting a homer, sometime around 1861.

15 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

It took 20 seconds of extraordinary courtesy to search for a thread entitled Mr. Oriole, which was the impetus for sharing this article, on an Orioles forum, when nothing else is going on, for fans who may enjoy itThis thread was active in 2017, evidently you took no issue with it being rehashed for 5 years, but 15 days after 2018 has concluded, you’re bothered.

EverlastingPlumpFlyingfish-size_restrict

I’ve enjoyed the banter the thread has brought about, no doubt you’d take issue if I’d started a new thread, which begs the question, what’s really going on with our good pal interloper. One way or another, we’re going to survive this thing together.

kane_daniel_bryan_wwehug.gif?w=650

tenor.gif?itemid=6201363

Your gif game is not as strong as you think it is.

I'm extremely biased, but it's Brooks Robinson for me. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Cal Ripken, but I have with Mr. Robinson, on more than one occasion. Neverminding his on-field accomplishments, he is the consummate gentleman and, simply, a gem of a human being.

Archived