Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admire Cal, recent words notwithstanding. Howeve, as anyone who has ever had the pleasure of meting him will tell you, to meet Brooks is to meet a new friend. The man does not have a bad bone in his body. I wish I had his outlook and patience. We in Charm City have been blessed with both Cal and Brooks (and others) but if there is only one Mr. Oriole it is, has and will be Brooks.

Cal is obviously the current Mr. Orioles as he has incredible national appeal and recognition. I never saw Brooks play and really only saw Cal in his last few years, but still remember when he was a superstar around here.

For Orioles fans, I think its Brooks due to his reputation and personality, as well as the time frame in which he played. He was here basically from the start and remained through most of the glory years.

I don't find Cal personable.

This. Brooks is a deeply humble man, and universally loved - by all his teammates, the community, the game of baseball in general. Nobody has a bad word to say about him. He is Mr. Oriole.

Cal was a terrific player, and I respect what he did on the field. But there's just something about his personality that leaves me cold.

Sept. 7 - Cal on Haynie/Zinno Show

"I'll have fun in there. You're not supposed to be rooting for a team when you're broadcasting a game but I can't help but root for the Orioles... "

11:40 minute mark

EDIT: Cal is my favorite player. I grew up with Cal and missed most of Brooks (too young). I was at 2131. So Cal is, to me, the #1 ambassador for the O's. And I think his weaknesses as a broadcaster have just been a bit of overcompensation, inexperience and inability as a broadcaster, and a tendency to praise the all-star veterans that he personally knows. That said, Brooks is the original 'Mr. Oriole'. So I didn't vote.

Perspective - I'm 25, first got into baseball in the '96-'97 runs, took a break for much of high school then came back around 2005. Never got to see Brooks play; for me, he's a historical figure that other O's fans adore. My favorite player on the mid-90s team was always Mike Mussina. (Yeah, I know. It's part of the reason I became a much more casual fan for a few years.) He can't be my Mr. Oriole for obvious reasons, even though I'm a blame-Angelos-first camper. Honestly, the player I associate most with the Orioles is Nick Markakis. He's been the Cal of the last half-decade (he missed a total of 11 games from 2007-2011).

I had the announcers muted for most of the last game. I think Cal is doing a lousy job and overcompensating for his association with the O's, and neither Smoltz nor Johnson is helping in the slightest. But one week of bad commentary does not eclipse 30-plus years of a wonderful relationship. Do you guys break up with your girlfriends after one fight? Cal is still Cal; he's had three bad games. In how many of the 2632 did he go 0-for-4 with 2 Ks?

I was listening to Scott and Jeremy and Scott was super fired up about this. He thought it was insane that Beltre would even be in the same breath as Brooksie. He was very respectful to Cal, but said he was shocked when he heard that comparison.

Archived