Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

A joke? He went on for a few minutes straight about the streak and the national writers....never mind. You're like talking to a wall.

I love both these guys, but Brooks is on a whole different level than Cal. Guys like Brooks and Johnny U come around once in a lifetime.

Fans of most teams are not even that lucky.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A joke? He went on for a few minutes straight about the streak and the national writers....never mind. You're like talking to a wall.

I love both these guys, but Brooks is on a whole different level than Cal. Guys like Brooks and Johnny U come around once in a lifetime.

Oh in that case, I bow to your knowledge of Cal and the Ripken family. I'm sorry for doubting your intelligence!;)

Oh in that case, I bow to your knowledge of Cal and the Ripken family. I'm sorry for doubting your intelligence!;)

Are you serious? You've trolled me for three straight posts with nothing but sarcastic one liners. Care to give a well thought out post of why Cal is Mr. Oriole over Brooks, or are you just here to piss me off?

Cal.

Ugh, this whole drama about what he's said/not said in the booth is absolutely ridiculous. Big deal, he said Beltre is a better defender than Brooks. So. What. In 100 years from now, is it quite possible that someone could have been a better defender than Brooks? Where's it written that Brooks Robinson HAS TO BE ALWAYS AND FOREVER CONSIDERED THE BEST DEFENSIVE THIRD BASEMAN OF ALL TIME NO QUESTION. Are we as a fanbase so thickheaded and ignorant to think that someone wearing another uniform could be just as good or not better?

Big deal, he's trying to be neutral when doing a job that...guess what? Calls for him to be neutral and balanced. Does that mean he can give credit when the Yankees do something good? Yep! Sorry to break it to you, O's fans!

And he's boring!! He always has been! This isn't news. He always gives stock answers to questions and always has. When was the last time that Cal Ripken ever said anything controversial? Actually, the more appropriate question is "When was the only time Cal Ripken has said anything controversial?" Oh wait, he said Beltre is a better defender than Brooks, a comment that no one outside of the Baltimore area probably cares about. :rolleyes:

Any notion about a rift between him and Angelos is ridiculous, too. Let's not forget that a month ago the Orioles gave Ripken a giant freaking statue out in centerfield as a reminder and a symbol as what he's done for this franchise.

This whole ordeal that's come to light over the past few days is asinine. I can't believe people are allowing what he's said in a broadcast booth shape or color their previous feelings towards the man after such an incredible career. People are so damn hypersensitive when it comes to the Brooks issue and the Yankees issue, it's like Cal kicked your dog after he banged your sister. Really people, this is the only thing in your life you have to get worked up about? I'd hate to see what happens if someone cuts you off in traffic or something equally as inane.

If I was 50 years old, I'd probably say Brooks. It's a generational thing.

What is special about Brooks Robinson? Everything. Every single person that has met him was blown away how kind and giving the man is. I have never heard a bad word. Down to earth, kind, giving. He is definition of a role model. Cal has done a lot for Baltimore, but Brooks to me (even not growing up watching him play) will always be Mr. Oriole and it isn't even close in my book.

My grandpa saw brooks at the 7/11 in parkville/carney and had brooks sign a ball for me as a kid and he even asked my name and wrote To Matt from Brooks. Not many of ball players would even pretend to care nowadays.

Are you serious? You've trolled me for three straight posts with nothing but sarcastic one liners. Care to give a well thought out post of why Cal is Mr. Oriole over Brooks, or are you just here to piss me off?

Is it working?

This was my first response to you in this thread. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/127271-Who-is-Mr-Oriole-to-you?p=2956019#post2956019 Please show me were I was sarcastic or used any one liners?

This is where you started trolling me. My response wasn't even to you! http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/127271-Who-is-Mr-Oriole-to-you?p=2956043#post2956043

Years after Brooks retired his wife tried to get him to move back to Ark. because he was exhausting himself by not being able to refuse any decent cause. His grace,consideration and selflessness are legendary. He traveled and stayed with the team on the road.

He is Mr Oriole---------sorry Calsie.

Cal.

Ugh, this whole drama about what he's said/not said in the booth is absolutely ridiculous. Big deal, he said Beltre is a better defender than Brooks. So. What. In 100 years from now, is it quite possible that someone could have been a better defender than Brooks? Where's it written that Brooks Robinson HAS TO BE ALWAYS AND FOREVER CONSIDERED THE BEST DEFENSIVE THIRD BASEMAN OF ALL TIME NO QUESTION. Are we as a fanbase so thickheaded and ignorant to think that someone wearing another uniform could be just as good or not better?

Big deal, he's trying to be neutral when doing a job that...guess what? Calls for him to be neutral and balanced. Does that mean he can give credit when the Yankees do something good? Yep! Sorry to break it to you, O's fans!

And he's boring!! He always has been! This isn't news. He always gives stock answers to questions and always has. When was the last time that Cal Ripken ever said anything controversial? Actually, the more appropriate question is "When was the only time Cal Ripken has said anything controversial?" Oh wait, he said Beltre is a better defender than Brooks, a comment that no one outside of the Baltimore area probably cares about. :rolleyes:

Any notion about a rift between him and Angelos is ridiculous, too. Let's not forget that a month ago the Orioles gave Ripken a giant freaking statue out in centerfield as a reminder and a symbol as what he's done for this franchise.

This whole ordeal that's come to light over the past few days is asinine. I can't believe people are allowing what he's said in a broadcast booth shape or color their previous feelings towards the man after such an incredible career. People are so damn hypersensitive when it comes to the Brooks issue and the Yankees issue, it's like Cal kicked your dog after he banged your sister. Really people, this is the only thing in your life you have to get worked up about? I'd hate to see what happens if someone cuts you off in traffic or something equally as inane.

You are entitled to your opinion but there's no reason to act like an other opinion is asinine. There are certain things that are scared amongst Orioles fans and Orioles tradition and stating that Brooks is the all -time best defensive third baseman is right up there at the top. For Cal Ripken to come out and say that not only did he disagree agree with this assertion, but also go as far as saying "Sorry, Brooksie" is a big deal, whether you think so or not. I talked with numerous people last night int eh press box including former O's, major league players, and long time media members who saw a lot of Brooks. Unanimously they were shocked that Cal said it and although they respected Cal's opinions, they disagreed with his statement.

At the end of the day, it was comment he did not have to make. He could have said Beltre was the best of his generation and right up there with the best ever like Brooks Robinson. Either Cal made the statement deliberately or got caught up in the moment and went too far. either way, climb down off ypur high horse and realize there a lot of people that found fault in where, when, and what Cal said.

What are you running for office? ;) The question was to pick one for Mr. Oriole. It doesn't mean you don't like the other, it just means you can only pick one guy to represent the Orioles, who would it be?

Sorry, thought it was clear -- I voted for Brooks.

You are entitled to your opinion but there's no reason to act like an other opinion is asinine. There are certain things that are scared amongst Orioles fans and Orioles tradition and stating that Brooks is the all -time best defensive third baseman is right up there at the top. For Cal Ripken to come out and say that not only did he disagree agree with this assertion, but also go as far as saying "Sorry, Brooksie" is a big deal, whether you think so or not. I talked with numerous people last night int eh press box including former O's, major league players, and long time media members who saw a lot of Brooks. Unanimously they were shocked that Cal said it and although they respected Cal's opinions, they disagreed with his statement.

At the end of the day, it was comment he did not have to make. He could have said Beltre was the best of his generation and right up there with the best ever like Brooks Robinson. Either Cal made the statement deliberately or got caught up in the moment and went too far. either way, climb down off ypur high horse and realize there a lot of people that found fault in where, when, and what Cal said.

It's fine to disagree...personally, I don't really care. I'm not going to feign shock and horror because one icon said something that wasn't so nice about another one. I think the bigger issue at hand is what Brooks and/or Cal mean to you as an Orioles fan.

If, to you, Brooks is really the best defender of all time then I think that's all that should really matter. You know where he stands for you, right? You're going to let someone else come in and ruffle your feathers because their opinion is different?

It's not so much that I think other peoples opinion is asinine, it's the fact that people are feigning shock and horror over it and take it personally.

Where's it written that Brooks Robinson HAS TO BE ALWAYS AND FOREVER CONSIDERED THE BEST DEFENSIVE THIRD BASEMAN OF ALL TIME NO QUESTION. Are we as a fanbase so thickheaded and ignorant to think that someone wearing another uniform could be just as good or not better?

It is kind of unwritten, and well beyond Baltimore. While I am biased for sure, the amazing thing over the years is how many non-O's fans have walked up to me to offer their respect of Brooks while I am in line to buy food with an O's hat on. That said, I think you have a fair point about the reaction to Cal's booth time. I don't agree with what Cal said, or his effort to present himself as some kind of objective observer. And while I don't agree, I don't think he should be seemingly held for high treason in some threads here.

I resemble that. Well, sort of. I am on the border line at 47, but I certainly saw more Cal games live than Brooks.

-Don

It's fine to disagree...personally, I don't really care. I'm not going to feign shock and horror because one icon said something that wasn't so nice about another one. I think the bigger issue at hand is what Brooks and/or Cal mean to you as an Orioles fan.

If, to you, Brooks is really the best defender of all time then I think that's all that should really matter. You know where he stands for you, right? You're going to let someone else come in and ruffle your feathers because their opinion is different?

It's not so much that I think other peoples opinion is asinine, it's the fact that people are feigning shock and horror over it and take it personally.

Well it depends on what you mean "personally." I don't take it personally that Cal openly dissed a long time and sacred belief that Brooks was the all-time best defensive third baseman on national TV during the Orioles first playoff game in 15 years, but as an Orioles fan, I feel slighted. You don't of course, but there was absolutely no reason to say what he said unless he had purpose behind it. Cal is too image conscious to say something off the cuff and I have a hard time believing that he didn't realize what he said was going to cause a major uproar, especially in Baltimore were he is revered.

Even if he totally believes Beltre is a better defender than Brooks, he could have used words like, one of the best ever, or right up there with Brooksie that would have gotten the same effect without ruffling any feathers.

It's like me doing an Orioles talk show and being asked who was best shortstop in MLB since the 80s. I'm going to say Cal Ripken, even though in my heart I'm really thinking Derek Jeter. If I was asked, I'd say something to the effect that, Cal Ripken is right up there as one of the best shortstops of all-time, along with Derek Jeter. They both have to be among the best shortstops of this generation, but of course I'm going to be a little biased and say Cal Ripken Jr.

"It's not so much that I think other peoples opinion is asinine, it's the fact that people are feigning shock and horror over it and take it personally"

Had Cal said "Beltre is the best ever" PERIOD, there would not be this uproar. When he added----- "sorry Brooksie", this seemed to take it to a very personal level. Could easily be construed as a very direct statement to "Brooksie" or ,at least, a very personal negative comparison.

I think it probably comes down to how old you are. If you're old enough to remember the teams of the 70's then you probably think it's Brooks. Younger people probably think Cal. In another 20 years I'll still be voting Brooks, but by then young people will be voting Jones or Machado or somebody like that.

I just hope that no one's voting Brooks because of what Cal said about Beltre. Look, Brooks is the best defender of all time, relative to the rest of the league. But Athletes are always getting better. Basically what Cal said was the equivalent of 'Carl Lewis is faster than Jesse Owens', and I don't think anyone would take issue with that statement.

Archived