Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it depends on what you mean "personally." I don't take it personally that Cal openly dissed a long time and sacred belief that Brooks was the all-time best defensive third baseman on national TV during the Orioles first playoff game in 15 years, but as an Orioles fan, I feel slighted. You don't of course, but there was absolutely no reason to say what he said unless he had purpose behind it. Cal is too image conscious to say something off the cuff and I have a hard time believing that he didn't realize what he said was going to cause a major uproar, especially in Baltimore were he is revered.

Even if he totally believes Beltre is a better defender than Brooks, he could have used words like, one of the best ever, or right up there with Brooksie that would have gotten the same effect without ruffling any feathers.

It's like me doing an Orioles talk show and being asked who was best shortstop in MLB since the 80s. I'm going to say Cal Ripken, even though in my heart I'm really thinking Derek Jeter. If I was asked, I'd say something to the effect that, Cal Ripken is right up there as one of the best shortstops of all-time, along with Derek Jeter. They both have to be among the best shortstops of this generation, but of course I'm going to be a little biased and say Cal Ripken Jr.

I know if you ask people from Philly who the greatest is, most won't say Brooks.

Who did the city of Baltimore honor with a statue? Who was painted by Norman Rockwell. Brooks transends the Orioles. It's more than a generational thing, IMO. A lot more people never saw Frank Robinson play. Would they rather we put a statue up of Adam Jones, because they've seen him play?

I'm know if you ask people from Philly who the greatest is, most won't say Brooks.

I don't think most O's fans would try to suggest Brooks had a better bat, but overall it is a worthy debate, Brooks had the combined awesome defense with a solid bat, and I think even the more narrow minded Philly folk know who had the better glove.

-Don

I don't think most O's fans would try to suggest Brooks had a better bat, but overall it is a worthy debate, Brooks had the combined awesome defense with a solid bat, and I think even the more narrow minded Philly folk know who had the better glove.

-Don

Schmidt was an excellent fielder. I think Brooks was better with the glove, but it is not like Schmidt wasn't a good fielder.

Schmidt was an excellent fielder. I think Brooks was better with the glove, but it is not like Schmidt wasn't a good fielder.

I didn't say Schmidt wasn't an excellent fielder, I am saying Brooks was a superior defender of the two. Schmidt had the more powerful bat, but Brooks was also an excellent hitter, thus why it is a worthy best overall debate.

-Don

It is Brooks because minus the inaugural season , he was here every year from 1955-1977. The greatest O's teams of all time IMO. How many times during the recent generation of losing teams have we heard the phrase "once proud franchise" or "we need to get back to the "Oriole Way" ?

I could care less if someone thinks Mike Schmidt ,Aurelio Rodriguez or Joe Blow was a better 3rd baseman. Cal's comments are offensive to me but do not drive my opinion in any way. Cal was a great Oriole for sure . Brooks was the greatest Oriole since he was a big part of it all when the Orioles were becoming a legendary winning machine and model franchise.He also embodies every good quality a sports hero should have . I have never heard or heard of Brooks Robinson making a disparaging remark toward another person . Of course he also played in an era where most athletes weren't prima donnas .

I am 49 and have had the pleasure of seeing them both play. I have also had the pleasure of meeting both of them on more than one occasion. I went to Cal's induction at Cooperstown. My kids love Cal. They were excited to see him last Saturday at the game when Brooks was honored.

Look this is like a bunch of cavemen arguing over which discovery was better, fire or water. This franchise is blessed to have had both of them and I know my pride as a fan contains a love of both of them and of course others like Palmer, Weaver, Frank etc. Mr Oriole is a hat that has been worn by many at different times. No one has worn it like Cal and Brooks. If I have to pick one forever it would be Brooks. If I have to pick one today, I am picking Adam Jones. It may not quite fit him yet, but I am sure as heck hoping he gets it on his head soon.

As for Cal's comments and game time commentary? I hated it, but he was being paid to speak and he will certainly receive opportunities to clarify just what he meant. Whether he was working too hard to be fair, honestly beleives everything he said, or whether he wanted to take a poke at the O's, he is still Cal Ripken and I for one have no problem giving him every benefit of the doubt.

Brooks retired from baseball 35 years ago. His World Series heroics were 42 years ago, and by then most of his prime years were behind him. Unless you're close to 50 or older, it's likely you don't have many vivid memories of Brooks' everyday career outside of the highlight films. Cal is about a year older than me, and I watched him play literally thousands of times more than I saw Brooks. Therefore, even at my age, Brooks is more of a sentimental choice, but if you have ever met him, as I have numerous times, he's also an easy choice to make. I say that even though I have enjoyed all the times that I've met Cal. I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating, there is no finer person, ballplayer or otherwise, than Brooks.

Brooks retired from baseball 35 years ago. His World Series heroics were 42 years ago, and by then most of his prime years were behind him. Unless you're close to 50 or older, it's likely you don't have many vivid memories of Brooks' everyday career outside of the highlight films. Cal is about a year older than me, and I watched him play literally thousands of times more than I saw Brooks. Therefore, even at my age, Brooks is more of a sentimental choice, but if you have ever met him, as I have numerous times, he's also an easy choice to make. I say that even though I have enjoyed all the times that I've met Cal. I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating, there is no finer person, ballplayer or otherwise, than Brooks.

Yes It does bear repeating and for those who have never met him feel free to read the statue outside of OPACY the last paragraph says it as well as it can be said...

"There's not a man who knows him who wouldn't swear for his integrity and honesty and give testimony to his consideration of others. He's an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world's greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental." - John Steadman of The News American

Archived