Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Are we not talking about a kid who was finally healthy for the first time just last season? He was clearly injured very early on in his professional career and it seems the O's organization is "at least" partially responsible for the delay in his health progression. Wasn't it only after Matt sought out a physician on his own that the correct diagnosis came about?

you guys cannot let your overall disappointment in an organization and Joe Jordan skew your opinion of Matt.

Let's just look at his small sampling of healthy performance. Performed well in Delmarva even though is arm was just re-gaining strength and velocity. Spent the first part of the season in the high 80's and low 90's. Mid way through the season at Delmarva, we saw the velo reach the mid 90's and sat in the 91-93 range for the remainder of the season. Finished the season at Frederick. Very solid rehab numbers in 2013.

This season he is off to a nice start in Frederick and we are seeing his velocity have a steady increase. Matt is a two seam FB guy with a curve and slider...this type of stuff usually indicates a ground ball out guy with a fair mix of strike outs... If his velocity begins to sit in the mid 90's his strike out numbers will increase... His problem is the walk and he certainly needs to work on control. Without the walks, his ERA would be measurably better...

If we look at his healthy sampling, I think there is a lot to be encouraged about...

Also, there is a silver lining with the injury scenario. When Matt was in High School, he was a pure power guys with a plus curve. Having to struggle through injuries, he has evidently learned a lot about location, placement and movement. If he can couple having learned how to "really pitch" opposed to throw with some better command, he should have some very decent success.

Forget that you were all so pissed the day the O's drafted him and just consider the facts...

I would like to see some of you posters actually step up your game...some of you spew negativity every chance you get and it seems to typically come from a very narrow viewpoint... some of you should consider finding a new organization to love/hate, because it seems you are due for a divorce from this one...

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to see some of you posters actually step up your game...some of you spew negativity every chance you get and it seems to typically come from a very narrow viewpoint... some of you should consider finding a new organization to love/hate, because it seems you are due for a divorce from this one...

Sounds like maybe you know Matt and are feeling a bit defensive about him. Personally, I wasn't against the pick when it was made (not that I really claim any expertise in draft-related stuff anyway), nor do I "blame" Matt for not living up to expectations to date. Nor do I totally discount the chances that he can make it to the majors. But from 10,000 feet, the odds are still solidly against him. I hope he beats the odds, because he seems like a good guy and he's been through a lot.

Sounds like maybe you know Matt and are feeling a bit defensive about him. Personally, I wasn't against the pick when it was made (not that I really claim any expertise in draft-related stuff anyway), nor do I "blame" Matt for not living up to expectations to date. Nor do I totally discount the chances that he can make it to the majors. But from 10,000 feet, the odds are still solidly against him. I hope he beats the odds, because he seems like a good guy and he's been through a lot.

I am not so certain that the success rate from this type of surgery is that great either. Maybe Matt will be healthy and strong with this surgery. It has not been something that I have seen be to successful.

Also, just to answer some obvious questions that will arise from my posts in advance. I am local to Southern California, I have been involved with Southern California High School baseball (various forms and fashion...Coach, Mentor and Scout) since 1990. I have seen countless players come through the So. Cal High School ranks and there are not many I can think of that were more advanced at the high school level than Hobgood. I live very close to Norco High School and had the opportunity to watch him play many many times.

It was great for me when he was drafted to the O's. Being that I am not an Angel fan (not in the least), the O's have always been my favorite AL team, since the days of Murray, McGregor, Palmer, Bumbry, DeCinces, Bellanger, the Martinez brothers and even a guy named Ripken...

Obviously, I am rooting for Matt to succeed.

I have hopes that he succeeds and that all who know him and have known him are happy and proud.

I'll always root for this kid. Aside from his family troubles, I thought he got unnecessary criticism when he was drafted and then clearly suffered an injury almost immediately after being drafted. We've never seen what we thought we'd get when we drafted Matt Hobgood. The odds do appear to be against him at this point, but I'm definitely one of the people on his side.

I think his father died ??

Yeah, that's my recollection. That definitely moves him a notch up on my list in terms of guys I'd like to root for, but that's not what defines my opinion of him. I think people who know very little are too quick to criticize. I'm holding out hope that a run of health and refinement will allow him to become useful to our ML club at some point.

Good velocity with a high walk rate wasn't enough to keep Clay Schrader in a job, so Matt is still vulnerable if he can't get his command under control. Matt is fortunate to have First Rounder on his resume so he gets the benefit of the doubt, but in any event... He's at the end of his rope.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From <a href="https://twitter.com/TuckerBlairON">@TuckerBlairON</a> Matt Hobgood not right on the mound. Fastball not even topping 90 mph right now. Taken out of game.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">May 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From <a href="https://twitter.com/TuckerBlairON">@TuckerBlairON</a> Matt Hobgood not right on the mound. Fastball not even topping 90 mph right now. Taken out of game.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">May 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Crafty righty?

Archived