Roch on Hamilton, Reynolds update, pitching depth

Annie

Welcome to the club. Your starting to see now why I was lacking patience. I saw this type of offseason coming. The FO is making moves based strictly on value vs. cost. Its shaping up to be one of the more disappointing winters, considering last years success.

No, I'm not in your club because I recognize that it's November. I was speaking hypothetically about a scenario I don't expect to come true.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the club. Your starting to see now why I was lacking patience. I saw this type of offseason coming. The FO is making moves based strictly on value vs. cost. Its shaping up to be one of the more disappointing winters, considering last years success.

You are still lacking patience. It's November 30, for crying out loud.

I need someone to explain why a "power bat" is a priority for a team that hit 214 home runs. Having another "power bat" is not a priority at all, in my opinion. Improving the team's OBP is the priority.

Maybe some of the perceived need for another "power bat" comes from the perceived lack of consistency with MR. His all-or-nothing approach at the plate, etc.

No, I'm not in your club because I recognize that it's November. I was speaking hypothetically about a scenario I don't expect to come true.

Sorry Bud ...But if this is like any other season in the past ten years you'll be saying the same thing the entire off season waiting.

If you dont expect it to come true, why question it? If you want to spin speculation as a hypothetical, thats fine. Just dont burn me at the stakes for the same thing next time. Thats all.

We did not struggle to hit with RISP, at all. We had a .772 OPS with runners in scoring position, compared to league average .752. But, we had about 175 fewer plate appearance in RISP situations than the average team, due to our low OBP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/39/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true

Ah I stand corrected then, it just seemed to me that we had so many bases loaded situations or second and third situations where we could barley push across one run.

The Orioles haven't had a number four hitter in forever. After he signed his contract Jones was bad and worse in the playoffs. If they don't resign Reynolds they should add two hitters IMO. I love the Hamilton if he can be had for 4-5 years and trade for Butler to DH. Reynolds as I said in the other post is way too streaky for my taste. The valleys were very deep.

The O's had an .875 OPS in the #4 spot, good for 3rd in the AL. They were 3rd in HR from that spot, with 31. They had a .701 OPS (.308 OBP) at #1 and .652 OPS (.277 OBP) at #2, and that is what needs to be addressed.

You are still lacking patience. It's November 30, for crying out loud.

No offense Frob, but how many offseason's have we as fan's made that very same comment? Only to see the winter meetings come and go, while watching the dominos fall. I've set my self up for disappointment so many years, that i'd rather take the "better safe then sorry" approach this offseason. Anything good, is just icing on the cake. Seeing DD quotes like "we have in-house options if we lose Reynolds" certainly doesn't give me a good feeling. I'd be fine bringing in Angel Pagan, so it's not about just spend to spend. But I'd be shocked if the O's get in on any player, that may involve outbidding someone else to get them. Just my opinion. It seem's DD is taking AM's "Letting the market set itself" approach. Just once, i'd like the FO to identify a need, and agressively address it. Rather then wait for the market to flatten out.

No offense Frob, but how many offseason's have we as fan's made that very same comment? Only to see the winter meetings come and go, while watching the dominos fall. I've set my self up for disappointment so many years, that i'd rather take the "better safe then sorry" approach this offseason. Anything good, is just icing on the cake. Seeing DD quotes like "we have in-house options if we lose Reynolds" certainly doesn't give me a good feeling. I'd be fine bringing in Angel Pagan, so it's not about just spend to spend. But I'd be shocked if the O's get in on any player, that may involve outbidding someone else to get them. Just my opinion. It seem's DD is taking AM's "Letting the market set itself" approach. Just once, i'd like the FO to identify a need, and agressively address it. Rather then wait for the market to flatten out.

It is amazing what taking the time to read a few of the facts that great posters dig up can do for the troubled soul.

I've seen you say that you're resigned to the fact that we're not going to make any big splashes, yet every post you make is complaining about how we're not going to sign one of these guys. So, if you're resigned to it, can we please stop hearing about it?

The O's had an .875 OPS in the #4 spot, good for 3rd in the AL. They were 3rd in HR from that spot, with 31. They had a .701 OPS (.308 OBP) at #1 and .652 OPS (.277 OBP) at #2, and that is what needs to be addressed.

I'm fine with a Pagan or Victorino signing. But, it would be nice to have Jones and his .800+ OPS batting 3rd, and Hamilton's .900 OPS batting 4th.

Listen more than you talk—and resist the temptation to fill awkward conversation gaps with awkward conversation. The uncomfortable silence is always better than saying something silly you may regret later.

~ Emily Bennington, Skip Lineberg

I need to read their book.

I've seen you say that you're resigned to the fact that we're not going to make any big splashes, yet every post you make is complaining about how we're not going to sign one of these guys. So, if you're resigned to it, can we please stop hearing about it?

Then I guess the mod's should stop people from starting threads with Hamilton's, or any other FA's names in it. Since, we're not allowed to talk about it.

If you dont expect it to come true, why question it? If you want to spin speculation as a hypothetical, thats fine. Just dont burn me at the stakes for the same thing next time. Thats all.

You continue to show a lack of respect for Dan Duquette's abilities. What you see as a fluke, some see as the sign of a brilliant GM. Some, including myself, think he can make us better given Angelos' budget. You don't. I get it.

Archived