Roch on Hamilton, Reynolds update, pitching depth

Annie

Because we struggled so much to hit with RISP. I agree that OBP is a priority, but it was last year too and it didn't get any better. Are there no hitters out there that can get on base and drive in runs?

We did not struggle to hit with RISP, at all. We had a .772 OPS with runners in scoring position, compared to league average .752. But, we had about 175 fewer plate appearance in RISP situations than the average team, due to our low OBP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/39/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care too much about this. The Orioles were about 5 runs worse than league average in "baserunning runs," including being 3 runs worse than average due to stolen bases. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1119493 I'd love to have some more speed, but it is much less of an issue than our low OBP when it comes to its effect on the number of runs we score.

Seems like a guy like Angel Pagan may help with both OBP and spped. Good fielder, too. Just sayin'.

I really do trust Duquette and his front office. More then I ever trusted MacPhail, and I was a MacPhail supporter.

I have heard him say that they are looking for 1B, DH, and LF. That leads me to believe that if Reynolds leaves, they are looking to replace him with another player from outside of the organization. That makes me feel a little better about Reynolds leaving if he does.

If Reynolds leaves however, and we are stuck with Davis at first, Reimold in left, and Betemit at DH, I'm going to be one pissed SOB. I don't think that happens.

I really do trust Duquette and his front office. More then I ever trusted MacPhail, and I was a MacPhail supporter.

I have heard him say that they are looking for 1B, DH, and LF. That leads me to believe that if Reynolds leaves, they are looking to replace him with another player from outside of the organization. That makes me feel a little better about Reynolds leaving if he does.

If Reynolds leaves however, and we are stuck with Davis at first, Reimold in left, and Betemit at DH, I'm going to be one pissed SOB. I don't think that happens.

If I have to endure Betemit as a starter in ANY position on a regular basis, that will not please me.

I'll be annoyed if Reynolds leaves, too. Loved what he did at first base last year.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...he'll go elsewhere, hit 35+ bombs and this board will be whining about how we don't have another power bat.

Loved what Reynolds did? Are you considering the nearly half the season he hit .150. Reynolds had nice glove work at 1st but let's not pretend he wasn't horrible for a long period at the plate.

I agree. I just fear we'll see Buck running him out there against righties and lefties like he did last year.

Actually, later in the year, he didn't play much at all, and almost nil against LHP. I'm thinking that he will rarely start and will receive extremely limited AB versus lefties next season, if he's still here.

Actually, later in the year, he didn't play much at all, and almost nil against LHP. I'm thinking that he will rarely start and will receive extremely limited AB versus lefties next season, if he's still here.

He didn't play much after Manny came up. BUT, if we let Reynolds and McLouth walk, that leaves us, at least right now, with Reimold in left, Davis at first, and....UGH...Betemit at DH. :eektf:

:vader:

I need someone to explain why a "power bat" is a priority for a team that hit 214 home runs. Having another "power bat" is not a priority at all, in my opinion. Improving the team's OBP is the priority.

The Orioles haven't had a number four hitter in forever. After he signed his contract Jones was bad and worse in the playoffs. If they don't resign Reynolds they should add two hitters IMO. I love the Hamilton if he can be had for 4-5 years and trade for Butler to DH. Reynolds as I said in the other post is way too streaky for my taste. The valleys were very deep.

I agree. I just fear we'll see Buck running him out there against righties and lefties like he did last year.

Buck did what he did more or less out of necessity. There just weren't good alternatives to playing Betemit so much, until Manny Machado arrived. Buck has shown he knows how to platoon when he has the tools. When he had David Dellucci in 2005, he started him in 111 games -- every single one against a RHP. Dellucci batted only 38 times against a LHP all year (about 7% of his PA).

Buck did what he did more or less out of necessity. There just weren't good alternatives to playing Betemit so much, until Manny Machado arrived. Buck has shown he knows how to platoon when he has the tools. When he had David Dellucci in 2005, he started him in 111 games -- every single one against a RHP. Dellucci batted only 38 times against a LHP all year (about 7% of his PA).

Yup...if Reimold is healthy, I think a Betemit/Reimold platoon (with Reimold getting some starts in LF from time to time as well) would be extremely productive.

I will be annoyed if Reynolds leaves, and no new hitters are added. If we aren't going to get Reynolds, then at least give Victorino or Pagan a 2 year deal to play LF and hit leadoff.

Also, if Duquette really doesn't think Reynolds works for next year, then why not trade him and get a low-level prospect?

Welcome to the club. Your starting to see now why I was lacking patience. I saw this type of offseason coming. The FO is making moves based strictly on value vs. cost. Its shaping up to be one of the more disappointing winters, considering last years success.

Archived