Are The BlueJays the New Philadelphis Eagles?

brianod

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Eagles went through a stretch where they made the playoffs 9 times in 11 years.

Since 2000 they've only missed the playoffs in 2005, 2007, 2011, and well, now they appear to be going through a transitional period for a bit.

Still, 9 times in 11 years.

I think the Blue Jays need to make the playoffs at least once since the turn of the century before we start having this conversation.

A comparison to the Rays or Rangers would be more appropriate imo.

Keep in mind, this is not like the NFL or NHL where you have a hard cap and a hard floor, and overpaying players means that you can't pay other players. The reality is that owners can put whatever amount of money they please into a team, and there's nothing that a fanbase can do about it. When a team makes a savvy move and under pays a superstar or clears bad contracts, there's no gaurantee that the money will be put back into the team (jeeze, I sound like a Question 7 ad). Similarly, when an owner puts a lot of money into the team, there's no rule that they can't just take an Etch-a-Sketch pad, and start over (jeeze, I sound even more political).

The bottom line being that you shouldn't worry so much about what the owners do with their money. Be happy when your owner decides to put money into your team, and don't assume that competitors opening up their wallet will come back to bite them. You're not the businesspersons, they are. Don't worry about their profit margin, just worry about your favorite team's chances of winning.

Archived