What is your "oddest" piece of Orioles memorabilia?

notfast

I have many, many items from the 19th century Orioles (hence my screen name). For more recent items, I'd say one of the oddest I have are the original copper tops to the flagpoles at Memorial Stadium.

I have pictures from the HOF.

The flagpole tops are ultra super cool! Really!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were there to celebrate my 35th birthday, and found out a few days before that Wieters was coming up. What a present. That place was electric. Plus there was a rain delay with the rainbow over the stadium. Cool night.

I traded in my holiday 4 pack tickets a week prior to that fri and got front row 3rd base line tickets. One of the best aatmospheres you could ask for with a losing season going on.

Game was delayed for a second when I dropped my oversized orange fist on the field. Whoops :)

I have many, many items from the 19th century Orioles (hence my screen name). For more recent items, I'd say one of the oddest I have are the original copper tops to the flagpoles at Memorial Stadium.

Dang, Orioles stuff pre-dating the O's...that is old:p

Mine is a half eaten grilled cheese sandwich from Billy Ripken the day of Cal's 2131. J/K

Seriously though, I have all of the variations of the Billy Ripken 89 Fleer FF card.

Terrific thread!

The "oddest" piece of O's gear I own has to be this weird knitted flyswatter cover that I found at an antique store in Hampden. I was with a friend of mine from New York when we stumbled across it, and I made sure to point out that people don't do things like this for the Yankees. BALTIMORE FTW!

2qbdm5s.jpg

But for straight awesomeness, it is without question the '89 Fleer Billy Ripken shirt my friend made for me:

fx5755.jpg

Highly-illegal, totally rad.

I have a baseball painted orange, which Dennis Martinez gave me. He and another player were playing catch with during BP, and I asked him if he would give it to me when they were finished. It was a time when there was talk about using orange baseballs for better visibility. I don't recall the year. I regret not asking for his autograph.

I have a small jar of dirt authenticated to be from the infield at Memorial Stadium. About the size of a spice jar, still sealed. It has a diagram of Memorial Stadium on it. I got it for calling WBAL and answering an O's trivia question in 1991.

I have the orange handkerchief they gave out called "Weaver Wavers" from Earl's first game back as manager when he came out of retirement in 1985.

Plenty of old giveaways -- seat cushions, about 10 different floppy hats in various styles and colors. THey used to give out six pack coolers that could hold 6 12 ounce cans. I have a couple, though they are pretty beat up. One of them was sponsored by C&P (then the local telephone company) and it had a big picture explaining how Maryland was going to switch to being a 2 area code state (410 was being added after MD had always been just 301). It had a map of hte state with the 301 and 410 zones shown.

I used to have -- and hope they are still hidden somewhere in the piles of junk in the basement -- old ticket stubs from Memorial Stadium in the pre-ticketmaster era. The tickets were pre-printed, not printed by a computer when you bought them. And their color matched the seats. Those of you may remember that at Memorial Stadium the seats were color coded. General admission seats were gold. Upper deck was pink, lower box was (green?), terrace box (blue?) or do I have that reversed. So tickets to games in the upper deck were pink.

I have a Danbury Mint replica of Memorial Stadium. I have a lithograph (only one of 1000 copies made) of a painting of Memorial Stadium as seen from the terrace box seats behind 3rd base, which is exactly where my first 13 game plan was that I bought when I got out of college.

I have a Jeremy Guthrie mousepad won for answering trivia questions when Jim Hunter hosted an offseason baseball discussion event at the ESPN Zone.

I have a Memorial Stadium Natty Boh can.

Archived