It's a New Year, let's turn the page here at the Hangout!

Tony-OH

I will have to say that Sports Guy attacked me repeatedly as soon as I started posting on here. And then he started replying to every post I made. It was totally out of line. I mean I am sure I am not the most personable guy in the world but basically stalking someone on a message board is kind of crazy.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's pretty clearly personal bias. I think the daily discussions are as good as ever, with far fewer bizarre tangents and pissing contests of the type we'd regularly see centered on some of the obvious posters who've left. There was a time a few years ago where every other thread seemed to be in a surreal other dimension involving OldFan, Trea, SG, Shack and others devolving into nonsensical rantings about how Curt Blefary and Luis Hernandez were better than Mark Teixiera and that proved Andy MacPhail wouldn't spend from Angelos' open checkbook.

Other than these types of threads and a certain recent poster, there does seem to be a lot less drama. I'd say we have more diversity of opinion now. I think the analytic aspect of the board has declined. Just my opinion and not saying that's a bad thing. We lost a big chunk of that with LJ alone (and I think there were a lot of dynamics that worked off that). I've had to do a lot less research than I used to do, which actually makes posting a little more enjoyable and less intense I guess.

I will have to say that Sports Guy attacked me repeatedly as soon as I started posting on here. And then he started replying to every post I made. It was totally out of line. I mean I am sure I am not the most personable guy in the world but basically stalking someone on a message board is kind of crazy.

If it's any consolation, he credits you for getting him banned.

Ricker old buddy old pal, you don't have to like it, but it's not going to change my views. If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't referring to you. The two that did know who they are and I stand by my comment. I'm not going to ban them or anything, but just think less of them as posters/people. We'll all live through it and I doubt either care how I feel. ;) Chris has wished us well and we wish them well. How about we just leave it at that?

Fair enough.

I was never really affected by SG personally, but I was somewhat regularly bothered by how pompous he was to other posters. The guy really knew his stuff, but I'm sure he turned a lot of people away from the Hangout. When one poster has such a presence on a board that new posters are deterred from participating, there's a problem. Whatever the inside baseball is with SG and Tony, I really don't care. I'd be happy to see SG back......as long as it's a new and improved SG.

You definitely were not part of the problem, but there was a period where I was certainly part of the problem. I just absolutely campaigned against JTrea for a couple years. I maintain that my original premise regarding him was viable, but the energy and effort I put into "righting the wrong" seems so silly now.

I don't post much these days mostly due to how busy I am but I read the board quite a bit. I think this place is as good as ever (I'd argue better due to the fact that a few aren't around anymore).

This is an excellent thread and idea Tony. Good for you.

Man I used to get so frustrated, but I realized quickly that there was no point in trying to reason with or change those posters.

Just let them have their schtick.

I used to spend a lot of time doing player analysis and some time doing statistical analysis / trade proffering, but for some reason I have little urge to do it anymore. There are still folks who do that stuff for the board including you though so I think it is alive and well.

I would still like to see some of your detailed analysis of what you see from the staff from time to time. You really just can't get that stuff anywhere it seems.

You definitely were not part of the problem, but there was a period where I was certainly part of the problem. I just absolutely campaigned against JTrea for a couple years. I maintain that my original premise regarding him was viable, but the energy and effort I put into "righting the wrong" seems so silly now.

I don't post much these days mostly due to how busy I am but I read the board quite a bit. I think this place is as good as ever (I'd argue better due to the fact that a few aren't around anymore).

This is an excellent thread and idea Tony. Good for you.

And we miss your insights. You are always welcome around here Bruce! Hopefully you find more time to stop in more often.

BTW, Rox and I will be staying on Siesta Key for two weeks this year from March 16 - 30. Give me a yell on PM when you've got some time and I'll tell you more. First time ever I've been able to get two weeks for spring training. I'm jacked...

I find this hilarious. I remember a post you made, sometime last winter, talking about how Angelos had killed your interest in the Orioles and you and Rox were now spending your vacations doing other things. Then you ended up driving all the way to Sarasota for a long weekend twice last spring, if I recall, and now you're spending two weeks down there. I guess your interest wasn't completely killed!

So much the better for us, as I've always found your reports on what you see down there (especially with the pitchers) extremely informative. Maybe I'll see about sneaking down there myself and hanging out with you and Rox for a game or two.

I find this hilarious. I remember a post you made, sometime last winter, talking about how Angelos had killed your interest in the Orioles and you and Rox were now spending your vacations doing other things. Then you ended up driving all the way to Sarasota for a long weekend twice last spring, if I recall, and now you're spending two weeks down there. I guess your interest wasn't completely killed!

So much the better for us, as I've always found your reports on what you see down there (especially with the pitchers) extremely informative. Maybe I'll see about sneaking down there myself and hanging out with you and Rox for a game or two.

I haven't been to Ed Smith since the game I watched with Bruce - but I've been back to Venice a couple times. Doesn't look like I'll make it down for spring training this year, but we'll go down for a week mid-summer or so. Just got back about 3 weeks ago from a week's vacation.

Bruce, make sure you hit up Siesta Key Oyster Bar... the mahi mahi jerk sandwich is awesome and the place is very cool.

I was never really affected by SG personally, but I was somewhat regularly bothered by how pompous he was to other posters. The guy really knew his stuff, but I'm sure he turned a lot of people away from the Hangout. When one poster has such a presence on a board that new posters are deterred from participating, there's a problem. Whatever the inside baseball is with SG and Tony, I really don't care. I'd be happy to see SG back......as long as it's a new and improved SG.

Considering that the last time I interacted with him in a thread he called me a douche, I don't think he has changed. (That wasn't here)

Considering that the last time I interacted with him in a thread he called me a douche, I don't think he has changed. (That wasn't here)

Maybe he meant that in a nice wa...........yeah, ok maybe not. I wouldn't expect him to suddenly find humility and grace. Too bad, because I respected his view on the Orioles as much as any other poster. But also not really too bad, we all choose to be how we are in everything we do.

Maybe he meant that in a nice wa...........yeah, ok maybe not. I wouldn't expect him to suddenly find humility and grace. Too bad, because I respected his view on the Orioles as much as any other poster. But also not really too bad, we all choose to be how we are in everything we do.

He was peeved because I smoked him in an argument and made a snide comment when he wouldn't concede the point gracefully.

Man, I was pretty melodramatic when I first joined here, and I remember vatech1999 used to give me a hard time about it. Truthfully, I probably had it coming. ;):D

I remember Bruce posting a really nice comment after my father passed away. I believe he'd been around my age when he lost his dad as well. It's something that always stuck with me.

Anyway, glad to see you're back (for now), vatech1994. We miss your valuable insight into pitching mechanics, believe you me. Hope you stick around awhile. :)

edit: typo in vatech's username

Man, I was pretty melodramatic when I first joined here, and I remember vatech1999 used to give me a hard time about it. Truthfully, I probably had it coming. ;):D

I remember Bruce posting a really nice comment after my father passed away. I believe he'd been around my age when he lost his dad as well. It's something that always stuck with me.

Anyway, glad to see you're back (for now), vatech1999. We miss your valuable insight into pitching mechanics, believe you me. Hope you stick around awhile. :)

He WISHES 1999... ;)

Archived