Your First Home O's Game!

MachadOboutManny

May 18, 1957 (yeah, I'm old) vs White Sox. The Os didn't win or lose it. Due to curfew the game ended in a 4 - 4 tie. Favorite memory of the game: my older brother was just about to catch a foul ball with his George Kell glove when my Mom pushed him aside saying, "Look out!" A kid in back of us ended up getting the ball. Then there was was very cool popcorn holder which could be used as a megaphone to cheer for the Os.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1963, the Orioles beat the White Sox's, Milt Pappas threw a 3 hitter, The Orioles won 6-0. Biggest memory from the game is we sat in the upper deck behind home plate and Boog Powell hit a homerun(he was playing left field because Diamond Jim was on first base) and when everybody stood up someone hit a vendor carrying cardbord mega phones of popcorn and they went over the upperdeck.

First and only game at Memorial Stadium. I was attending UMdCP, my only year there. It was 1989. I did not have a car so I'm not sure the route I took but it involved a bus to Memorial Stadium from somewhere around one of the DC bus stations. It was SUNDAY, April 23rd. I stress SUNDAY because the buses didn't run very often so I had to walk a good distance when I arrived back at the bus station after the game. I spent more time on buses and walking than I did at the game.

I saw the whole game. It was Bob Milacki pitching against the Twins. Milacki walked 2 and gave up 3 hits. There was one caught stealing and 4 O's DPs so Milacki faced the minimum number of batters. The Orioles won the game 3-0 in 2 hours and 3 minutes. I think my roundtrip was double that time.

Now CP has the Metro out to it an combined with other mass transit systems, I'm pretty sure I could make it from CP to OPACY in 30 minutes now with mass transit.

I don't remember. Would have been 72 or 73. Our Little League teams always went down every year. All I remember were the long ramps to the upper deck, the GREEN GRASS and Cal Sr. throwing BP. He had the oddest pitching motion, whipped his hand behind his head and around.

My first O's game was at Memorial Stadium the day after my 3rd birthday. The O's beat the Seattle Mariners 2-0 thanks to a Mike Boddicker complete game in which he struck out 8. I don't remember, I just know that my parents said the usher in our section commented that he'd never seen someone my age sit through all 9 innings of a ball game like that. I cried when it was time to leave. My father said he commented to my mom, "Looks like we may have created a monster." If he only knew how true... :)

I grew up 3 blocks away from Memorial Stadium. I probably went to a game as a baby in 1985 or 1986. I don't remember any specific Orioles games from my youth. I do remember going to Cleveland with my Dad to see the Orioles last series of the year in 1992. I remember trying to get Chris Hoiles' autograph on my plastic helmet that I wore to games (I was weird, I preferred a helmet to a hat). I was unsuccessful.

Saturday September 15, 1979. Bus trip with my Dad's work. O's lose to the Red Sox 10-2. Bob Watson becomes first player to hit for the cycle in both leagues. Yaz was playing his first game after getting his 3000th hit, so I saw his 3001st and 3002nd. Largest regular season crowd in O's history, at that point (at least according to the note Dad made in the program). Sat in the yellow mezzanine seats on the third base side. Saw my favorite player Doug Decinces go 0-for-4, both Martinezes (Tippy and Dennis) get shelled, and Stan the Man Unusual (amazingly) pitch 2/3rds of an inning without issuing a walk.

I only remember small bits of this, as I was eight. Thanks to retrosheet for faking my brain into half-remembering the rest. Really I just have images of the stadium, the seats, seeing Decinces, and my Dad buying me a baseball bat pen and a pennant.

Mine was the next day (9/16/79) and we shellacked Boston 13-3. Palmer had a no no into the 5th. John Tudor was a rookie and only made it 1/3 of an inning after giving up 6 earned runs. The game was never close, but I loved every minute of it. Got to see 5 Hall of famers. Palmer, Eddie, Earl, Yaz and Rice.

Did they win? hahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahaha

What year? Opening Day 1988

Who did they play? Brewers- Lost 12-0

Favorite memory of the game? I was only 8 so don't remember much. First Orioles memory is a few weeks later when my dad woke me up early and said he had a surprise for me. Went downstairs and turned on tv and he showed me the final inning of the previous nights O's game when they broke the 21 game losing streak. What a great moment that was.

The first game I ever attended was on August 25, 1968. I grew up in Highlandtown, and I went to the game with my two older brothers ( ages 14 & 10, & 6) with about five or six kids from the neighborhood. We went to the game as a group on the 22 bus that let us out in front of the stadium. We sat in general admission in the lower deck. Despite the obstructed view, I remember watching Carl Yastrzemski batting with his hands held high. I also recall the old scoreboard in right. I checked Baseball Reference and the game lasted 5 hours and 27 minutes, so most of the guys left at some point. However, my brothers and I stayed for the entire game. Brooks knocked in Boog Powell with a broken bat single in the bottom of the 18th. While those are all great memories, the best one was a nice elderly lady who let me sit in her lap in the crowded bus on the way home. It was a very kind act by a sweet lady. Great thread BTW.

Saturday September 15, 1979. Bus trip with my Dad's work. O's lose to the Red Sox 10-2. Bob Watson becomes first player to hit for the cycle in both leagues. Yaz was playing his first game after getting his 3000th hit, so I saw his 3001st and 3002nd. Largest regular season crowd in O's history, at that point (at least according to the note Dad made in the program). Sat in the yellow mezzanine seats on the third base side. Saw my favorite player Doug Decinces go 0-for-4, both Martinezes (Tippy and Dennis) get shelled, and Stan the Man Unusual (amazingly) pitch 2/3rds of an inning without issuing a walk.

I only remember small bits of this, as I was eight. Thanks to retrosheet for faking my brain into half-remembering the rest. Really I just have images of the stadium, the seats, seeing Decinces, and my Dad buying me a baseball bat pen and a pennant.

You are really making me feel old. On that day I had been in USMC boot camp for 23 days at lovely Parris Island. And the DI's took their sweet time giving us WS results. Still remember standing in formation outside the chow hall when they told us Pittsburgh won the series.

I'm pretty sure I can trace my current shoulder pain to trying to break 70 mph without warming up at a radar gun at a Harrisburg Senators' game about 15 years ago.

I was there for Matt Wieters' last game at AA in 2008. It was a doubleheader, with the Baysox splitting 2 games with the Senators. Wieters was really nice to all of the kids that were asking for his autograph. When he ran out of time to sign them when the 1st game was about to start, he said that he would get to them in between the 2 games and/or after the second game was completed.

Archived