Your First Home O's Game!

MachadOboutManny

Did they win?

What year?

Who did they play?

Favorite memory of the game?

My first was at old Memorial Stadium against the White Sox. The Os won (I think it was 3-1 in 1985 - pretty early in the season) I was 5, and my favorite memory was my dad teaching me how to score the game play by play and then collecting all sorts of cups people left behind with my cousin. We must have left with 200 cups...

I absolutely loved getting out to the yard with my pops the time or two a year that we could make it up from the DC area.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first Orioles game was at Memorial Stadium in 1981 against the A's and the Orioles won 5-3. Steve Stone was the starting pitcher. I remember that John Lowenstein and Terry Crowley hit back to back home runs. One of the home runs happened because A's outfielder Dwayne Murphey let a fly ball near the wall pop out of his glove and go over the wall. I also remember Al Bumbry robbing someone of a home run.

Early 70's. probably 73 or 74.

Lost to Red Sox 5-3. Dave McNally pitched. I remember Boog and Brooks being on base when the game ended. We were able to walk up and get front row seats. Biggest memory of the game is andy etchebaren falling into us catching a ball.

April 11th, 1979.

My cousin Donnie, who lives in West Springfield, VA took me.

The Orioles were losing to the Yankees by a score of 5-2 going into the 9th inning.

We scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning to tie the game, then won it in the 10th when Rick Dempsey hit a check-swing, bases-loaded, 2 out single to center-field.

The trivia question at the beginning of the game was, "What year did this happen ??? Boog Powell hit a home run against the Senators in the Opening Day Game in Washington." Then, they played a song to give us a hint (It was "Louie, Louie," by the Kingsmen.) The year was 1963.

And yes, I remember all of that.

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

:o

Strangely the only two things I do remember vividly from that night was the Bromo Seltzer Tower and wondering if we would get mugged as we walked back to the car. The parking accomadations around Camden didn't exactly feel family friendly. :slytf:

Probably 1968 or 1969 in Memorial Stadium. I was probably 8 or 9 yrs old. I remember how bright the lights were and what seemed like a mass of people. Don Buford was the first player I saw. It was a bit overwhelming (in a good way) just to try and take it all in. No idea who won or even who they played.

Even though I grew up as an O's fan, living in Bethesda my dad wasn't about to drive to Baltimore when we had a much shorter drive to RFK to see the Senators. I finally got to Memorial Stadium for a game when one of my friend's dads took us to a game, maybe in 1971 or so. I don't remember it at all. Once I got my drivers license in the summer of '73, I started going regularly.

Saturday September 15, 1979. Bus trip with my Dad's work. O's lose to the Red Sox 10-2. Bob Watson becomes first player to hit for the cycle in both leagues. Yaz was playing his first game after getting his 3000th hit, so I saw his 3001st and 3002nd. Largest regular season crowd in O's history, at that point (at least according to the note Dad made in the program). Sat in the yellow mezzanine seats on the third base side. Saw my favorite player Doug Decinces go 0-for-4, both Martinezes (Tippy and Dennis) get shelled, and Stan the Man Unusual (amazingly) pitch 2/3rds of an inning without issuing a walk.

I only remember small bits of this, as I was eight. Thanks to retrosheet for faking my brain into half-remembering the rest. Really I just have images of the stadium, the seats, seeing Decinces, and my Dad buying me a baseball bat pen and a pennant.

Archived