Saunders to the Mariners

TonySoprano

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless the open their books I refuse to believe they had to do both.

Their ownership group is turning a profit.

They have proven over time that their revenue model will not support them keeping their high priced players. Crawford, Shields, Upton.....as they get expensive they have to go. Teams are lining up waiting for Price all ready.

They have proven over time that their revenue model will not support them keeping their high priced players. Crawford, Shields, Upton.....as they get expensive they have to go. Teams are lining up waiting for Price all ready.

Unless Price goes the way of Longoria and signs a team friendly contract...

Unless they open their books and prove otherwise I believe that their revenue model includes substantial profits for ownership. Which is fine, they can do what they like. It does not mean that they are forced to trade their players after a certain price point. I strongly believe that they could have kept one of the two this offseason and not been in the red.

Truth of the matter is they made out like a bandit with the Shields trade.

I haven't read through the whole thread, just a few pages thus far, but why do people think that he's going to increase his value to receive a multiple year deal after 2013? He is what he is. Unless he has 180 Ks with a 3.00/1.20 ratio line, which he obviously won't, he's pitching this year to get a one year contract for next year.

I haven't read through the whole thread, just a few pages thus far, but why do people think that he's going to increase his value to receive a multiple year deal after 2013? He is what he is. Unless he has 180 Ks with a 3.00/1.20 ratio line, which he obviously won't, he's pitching this year to get a one year contract for next year.

I haven't read it either. All I see on the last page here is people being confused over the Orioles' model, which is pretty clear.

I hope you are right...maybe my dislike Matusz/ Arrieta/ Britton is hazing my view, but if they bomb like they did last year we arent getting the same production I think Saunders would give us.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

They won 93 games last year even with those guys flaming out of the rotation. Hence, I feel some people are overreacting about the impact a 5th starter has on the season.

The team had one of the best records in baseball after the break without Hammel and with guys like Hunter/Britton/Wolf getting starts.

Let me start by saying , I am certainly not trying to be a debbie downer, and I have only posted a few times, but I think there is another possibility that isn't talked about too often on the boards. DD and Buck may also know that the team overacheived significantly last year, and that it would take a similiar season of ball bouncing the right way, luck, etc to repeat the success. There are a handful of question marks, and the addition of Saunders in a vaccuum doesnt really address any of them. Now, i really wanted to sign Saunders, but without making some other moves, which obviously didnt happen for one reason or another, I'm not so sure it makes a whole lot of sense. Now, if this team continues to play as we all hope they will, and the question marks turn more into periods, I think we will make a BIG move at or around the trade deadline to try to make another magical run at the post season.

I was one who said that maybe he was hoping to increase his value. I agree that his stats probably will not change, but maybe Joe believes he has the best chance at the multi-year deal he wanted next year, by pitching in Seattle this year.

Who knows, maybe he just did not have any other concrete offers (from us or otherwise) and jumped on the Seattle deal because it is getting so close to spring training starting...

This popped up today:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/orioles-notes-saunders-jurrjens-johnson.html

It appears the Orioles offered Saunders a one-year deal, Encina writes. Saunders said he wanted to return to Baltimore and the Orioles maintained interest in re-signing him throughout the winter.

The Orioles have yet to finalize their one-year, $1.5MM agreement with Jair Jurrjens, and there’s a chance the deal will fall through. The Orioles were still receiving medical evaluations on Jurrjens as of last night, Encina reports. It’s becoming unclear whether the deal will be completed and it doesn’t seem to be headed in a positive direction. Orioles executives have long-standing concerns about Jurrjens’ health.

It’s possible the Orioles could offer Jim Johnson a two-year deal to cover his final arbitration seasons. However, it seems more likely that the sides will settle on a one-year contract. Johnson filed for $7.1MM in arbitration with the Orioles offering $5.7MM, as MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker shows. The Orioles have two other unsigned arb eligible players: Jason Hammel and Darren O’Day.

I'm not getting the problem with finishing up the deals. Why does this always seem to happen to the Orioles?

Jurrjens is a massive question mark, but we need to step up and get this stuff done. I still say we aren't ready for contention yet.

MSK

They won 93 games last year even with those guys flaming out of the rotation. Hence, I feel some people are overreacting about the impact a 5th starter has on the season.

The team had one of the best records in baseball after the break without Hammel and with guys like Hunter/Britton/Wolf getting starts.

They won 93 games because they had one of the best bullpens in baseball, which resulted in a crazy one run record and extra inning record. Do you think that is sustainable?

Archived