Saunders to the Mariners

TonySoprano

I don't have an issue with letting Saunders walk. I appreciate what he did for the O's during the stretch run. But the fact that Steve Johnson was warming in the 2nd inning of the Texas game tells you just how much confidence the team had in him. I'd much rather let Arrieta, Britton, Matusz and Johnson battle it out for the 5th starters spot. And you gotta believe Bundy/Gausman could be knocking on the door by June/July.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me get this straight, we are in win now mode but we are "hoping" our back end of the rotation works out instead of getting a close to sure thing with Saunders? He wasn't great but he is more proven then our guys.

This is a move a rebuilding team makes, not a move a team trying to get to the playoffs make. Especially since it was only a one year move, there is no risk.

Everyone here praises DD for signing guys like Valencia/ Canzler/ Jair but is okay with letting guys like Saunders go....am I in crazyville here?

Everyone here praises DD for signing guys like Valencia/ Canzler/ Jair but is okay with letting guys like Saunders go....am I in crazyville here?

Nope. You're in false-generalizationville. But I'm actually impressed that you were able to read through this thread of mostly disappointed reactions and not see a single one of them.

Just a rough count, I got 13 disappointed/generally negative reactions and 5 ambivalent/generally neutral reactions.

Nope. You're in false-generalizationville. But I'm actually impressed that you were able to read through this thread of mostly disappointed reactions and not see a single one of them.

Just a rough count, I got 13 disappointed/generally negative reactions and 5 ambivalent/generally neutral reactions.

Well congrats on being a smart #%^. I guess my post would be directed to those who are not disappointed then, wouldn't it?

Jurrjens agreed to an offer from the Orioles back on January 24th and the contract still isn't signed due to some "loose ends".

Pitchers and catchers report in 6 days. Saunders probably got tired of waiting and didn't want to be the one left standing without a chair once the music stopped. Seems the Orioles FO can only work one deal at a time.

Mariners and Joe Saunders agreed to a one-year contract between $5-7 million, with an option in 2014, according to an official who spoke to USA TODAY

Also from this USA TODAY article:

In January, Saunders expressed that he wanted to return to the Baltimore, which is 60 miles from his hometown of Springfield, Va. But, the Orioles, who publicly said they wanted to re-sign Saunders, never offered him a contract. In fact, the Orioles spent just $3.5 million this winter on outfielder Nate McClouth ($2 million) and right-handed pitcher Jair Jurrjens ($1.5 million).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/mariners/2013/02/07/joe-saunders-to-sign-with-seattle-mariners/1900951/

I wonder who offered him the 2 year 15 million dollar deal that he turned down? Must have been a team that had a losing record.

Probably his agent's dream.

Roch has a conflicting view on whether the O's offered Saunders a contract:

Apparently, the Orioles won't be re-signing left-hander Joe Saunders, who reached agreement last night on a one-year deal with the Seattle Mariners, according to FoxSports.com.

It's believed that the Orioles also had a one-year offer on the table,

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/02/are-the-orioles-done-making-moves.html

Long term, this is the right move. We need that fifth spot in order to see who stays and who goes as Bundy and Gausman progress.

Short term, if we get hit with the injury bug early, DD may have to do some scrambling.

This ....But for all the talk about wanting Saunders back I can't honestly believe it.

What are the chances Bundy is made that 5th starter out of ST? Would people be happy with that?

He would have to be Verlanderesque for me to see that happening. It would also be a bit sad because it would probably mean that Britton/Arrieta/S. Johnson/Matusz etc weren't up to snuff.

Jurrjens agreed to an offer from the Orioles back on January 24th and the contract still isn't signed due to some "loose ends".

Pitchers and catchers report in 6 days. Saunders probably got tired of waiting and didn't want to be the one left standing without a chair once the music stopped. Seems the Orioles FO can only work one deal at a time.

I don't believe this for a second. DD is very capable of closing several deals at once if he wants to. DD either didn't want Saunders or didn't have the budget to sign him.

Archived