Saunders to the Mariners

TonySoprano

Who was available that was worth trading Bundy for? Upton? I could see a Bundy for Upton straight up but Arizona was looking for more than that and I don't think Upton is worth completely depleting the farm. Toronto did that and got an AS SS, and 3 potential AS starters for their rotation.

The only player available right now worth making drastic changes to our farm is Stanton. I would easily trade Bundy, Schoop and a few others for Stanton.

We could have improved the team without trading Bundy. Morse was out there, so was Swisher....would have improved our offense.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As last season, Saunders will be more useful if we are in a pennant race. If needed, we can get him in August unless Cinderella visits Seattle. I've witnessed Britton, Arrieta & Matusz all dominate, as well as stink up the place. I'd rather see them figure out how to dominate more consistently.

Buck and DD are in win now mode. That will be more apparent during ST. However, its win now on a budget.

So they are "win now" without spending money or trading prospects?

That isn't "win now". Compare the O's offseason with Toronto's.

I think they are in "Whoops we won last year so we can't trade pieces" mode. 2014 is when the everything should fall into place.

Well if he didn't want them he could have signed someone else.

He did. He signed Jackson, Ishkawa, Valencia, Pearce........

He also signed Jurrjens for Saunders spot to compete with Britton, Matusz, Arrieta and Johnson. Then we could see Bundy and/or Gausman late in the summer.

Agreed, so that is why I am confused as to our direction. We have guys who are at or near their prime, yet we are acting like a rebuilding team...if we are truly concerned about building a good future team then why havent we traded guys like Jim Johnson or JJ Hardy?

Because they won 93 games last year.

If you are Tampa you can do that then trade Hardy and Johnson.

The O's can't.

We could have improved the team without trading Bundy. Morse was out there, so was Swisher....would have improved our offense.

We don't know the asking price was for Morse. I'm going to assume it was something more valuable than Patton b/c the Mariners had to get a 3rd party involved so the Nationals could get a quality pitching prospect like A.J. Cole.

Swisher? Really? That would've been the worst signing of the year (the Indians currently hold that distinction b/c they signed Swisher to 4 years). $14 million per year for Swisher over 4 years? What a horrible horrible mess to be in. Not to mention you lose the draft pick as well.

He did. He signed Jackson, Ishkawa, Valencia, Pearce........

He also signed Jurrjens for Saunders spot to compete with Britton, Matusz, Arrieta and Johnson. Then we could see Bundy and/or Gausman late in the summer.

Have you seen Jurrjens numbers lately? God-awful, not too mention he is apparently damaged goods. I wouldnt count on him for anything.

We don't know the asking price was for Morse. I'm going to assume it was something more valuable than Patton b/c the Mariners had to get a 3rd party involved so the Nationals could get a quality pitching prospect like A.J. Cole.

Swisher? Really? That would've been the worst signing of the year (the Indians currently hold that distinction b/c they signed Swisher to 4 years). $14 million per year for Swisher over 4 years? What a horrible horrible mess to be in. Not to mention you lose the draft pick as well.

Please explain how Swisher is a bad signing, he is making less then Markakis and consistently puts up .800+ OPS offensively while playing full seasons.....so yeah, why is that so bad? He is essentially Nick Markakis but a switch hitter and can play 1b or OF, both of which positions we could use upgrades at (putting Davis at DH).

Have you seen Jurrjens numbers lately? God-awful, not too mention he is apparently damaged goods. I wouldnt count on him for anything.

Saunders is a #4-5 SP. We can get that production for cheaper from any number of guys. It doesn't have to be Jurrjens, although he could be that guy and could be a guy who can give you TOR numbers. Saunders won't do that.

You aren't seeing the entire picture. No one is completely relying on Jurrjens. Just like no one was completely relying on Nate McLouth last year to play LF that 2nd half of the season. (Did you see his previous 3-year numbers?). The potential is high and the risk is very low.

Because they won 93 games last year.

If you are Tampa you can do that then trade Hardy and Johnson.

The O's can't.

If your Tampa you have to trade Shields and let Upton walk.

DD and Buck sign their good players and make decisions on the ones they think they can replace.

Saunders is a #4-5 SP. We can get that production for cheaper from any number of guys. It doesn't have to be Jurrjens, although he could be that guy and could be a guy who can give you TOR numbers. Saunders won't do that.

I hope you are right...maybe my dislike Matusz/ Arrieta/ Britton is hazing my view, but if they bomb like they did last year we arent getting the same production I think Saunders would give us.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Please explain how Swisher is a bad signing, he is making less then Markakis and consistently puts up .800+ OPS offensively while playing full seasons.....so yeah, why is that so bad? He is essentially Nick Markakis but a switch hitter and can play 1b or OF, both of which positions we could use upgrades at (putting Davis at DH).

You'll see why in 2013 why it was a good thing we didn't sign Swisher.

Archived