Saunders to the Mariners

TonySoprano

They won 93 games because they had one of the best bullpens in baseball, which resulted in a crazy one run record and extra inning record. Do you think that is sustainable?

It isn't sustainable. Especially with Toronto's lineup. Cleveland's lineup is going to have extra pop. The Yankees, Red Sox and Rays still have offensive potential no matter how much they seem to regress.

This standing pat is going to kill us this year.

MSK

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't sustainable. Especially with Toronto's lineup. Cleveland's lineup is going to have extra pop. The Yankees, Red Sox and Rays still have offensive potential no matter how much they seem to regress.

This standing pat is going to kill us this year.

MSK

While there are plenty of reasons that the Orioles 93 wins may not be sustainable, but Cleveland's lineup changes (signing Nick Swisher and Mark Reynolds) will have about as much to do with it as different flavored Gatorade in the clubhouse.

They've gone to different flavored Gatorade in the clubhouse? That's huge - it's a big drop off from yellow and red to any of the other colours. If they think they can sustain last year's success with blue and purple Gatorade - they will be sorely disapointed.

Everyone was wondering what happened to Pujols last April - it was that he switched to blue Gatorade. It wasn't until June when he went back to red that he turned his year around.

They've gone to different flavored Gatorade in the clubhouse? That's huge - it's a big drop off from yellow and red to any of the other colours. If they think they can sustain last year's success with blue and purple Gatorade - they will be sorely disapointed.

Everyone was wondering what happened to Pujols last April - it was that he switched to blue Gatorade. It wasn't until June when he went back to red that he turned his year around.

I don't know where you get your information but I have sources in the Angels clubhouse that tell me Pujols drinks nothing but the Lime Cucumber Gatorade.

They won 93 games because they had one of the best bullpens in baseball, which resulted in a crazy one run record and extra inning record. Do you think that is sustainable?

No, but you want to make up for it with an average 5th starter? How many more wins do you think Joe Saunders improves the team over whatever other people they use in the 5th starter spot?

I don't think it's very much. As a side note, your premise that the team was successful in the 2nd half due to wins in 1-run games doesn't hold much water. The team's pythag was pretty much right in line with its record in the 2nd half, especially after Manny was called up.

No, but you want to make up for it with an average 5th starter? How many more wins do you think Joe Saunders improves the team over whatever other people they use in the 5th starter spot?

I don't think it's very much. As a side note, your premise that the team was successful in the 2nd half due to wins in 1-run games doesn't hold much water. The team's pythag was pretty much right in line with its record in the 2nd half, especially after Manny was called up.

I made no mention of the second half.....even if I did its a good thing an entire season is comprised of TWO halves. How was their pythag in the first half?

Joe may be an average 4/5th starter but at least he can provide us with some stability in the rotation. What happens if one or two of our 4 starters revert to their old ways? We are back to where we were before last year.

I made no mention of the second half.....even if I did its a good thing an entire season is comprised of TWO halves. How was their pythag in the first half?

Joe may be an average 4/5th starter but at least he can provide us with some stability in the rotation. What happens if one or two of our 4 starters revert to their old ways? We are back to where we were before last year.

This is the only really solid argument for Saunders. However, if that happens Saunders' presence isn't enough to take us to a playoff team.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Joe Saunders' deal with the Mariners is for $7 million.

Heyman adds that the left-hander can earn more through incentives. The deal has yet to officially be announced, but that should come soon. Saunders, 31, had a 4.07 ERA in 28 starts last season between the Orioles and Diamondbacks. Related: Mariners

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter Feb 8 - 3:26 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/1043/joe-saunders

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Joe Saunders' deal with the Mariners is for $7 million.

Heyman adds that the left-hander can earn more through incentives. The deal has yet to officially be announced, but that should come soon. Saunders, 31, had a 4.07 ERA in 28 starts last season between the Orioles and Diamondbacks. Related: Mariners

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter Feb 8 - 3:26 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/1043/joe-saunders

7 million is pretty steep. I could see how we would have pause to match that for a 5th starter. Let's hope Britton can get consistent. It's anybody's guess, but his ceiling is much higher than Saunders at least.

7 million is pretty steep. I could see how we would have pause to match that for a 5th starter. Let's hope Britton can get consistent. It's anybody's guess, but his ceiling is much higher than Saunders at least.

Yeah, and I'm guessing the "plus incentives" part also played into that for Saunders. Especially with the incentives likely being more easily obtained in SAFECO. I was kind of interested in Saunders on a one year deal. Sounds like DD had a number they weren't going to go over here. Not that big of a deal. Opportunity for others and the rest of the cavalary to get back up on their horses and make another charge.

The only allowable incentives are for games started. Safeco doesn't play into that.

I hadn't heard that. The details have been released already? He generally starts a lot of games, so that should be a plus for him. Rosenthall just stated there may be an option.

I think Duq is being conservative with the budget because he wants to save some money for a deadline addition in case we are in contention. Saunders is likely redundant and who knows what our needs will be in August. Maybe we can pick up a big bat salary dump.

I hadn't heard that. The details have been released already? He generally starts a lot of games, so that should be a plus for him. Rosenthall just stated there may be an option.

The only allowable incentives in the collective bargaining agreement are plate appearances, games played, innings pitched, games started and games finished. True performance incentives are not allowed. I guess innings pitched could be more easily achieved in Safeco, but it is not likely to be significant.

Archived