Saunders to the Mariners

TonySoprano

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stick by what I said in a previous Saunders thread. The Orioles would not be signing him because other teams also had interest in him. They only sign players who have no where else to go. They refuse to get into a bidding war with anyone over anybody.

Count me in as another person disappointed with this (non) move.

If it wasn't for the Blue Jays and (possibly) the Angels, I would say that the Mariners had the best off-season of any team in the A.L.

Small acquisitions like Morse, Morales, Ibanez and Saunders certainly should improve the team from what it was last season.

Saunders was a fine fall back starter, but with Arietta, Britton and Matusz, not to mention Bundy, Jurrgens..theres plenty of options.I dont think

Joe Saunders scares anybody, though I AM a little surprised we didnt get him for a single year.

Exactly how I feel about this news. There would have been some benifit to having Joe back but I'm really hoping Arrieta or Britton earns the fifth spot and runs with it.

I'm past the point of caring. I could make an argument for getting a reliable vet like Saunders, and I could make an argument for letting the Cavalry plus Jurjjens, Wada etc. fight for the spot. I've been ambivalent all along, and by now, I just want to play ball.

Cue up the Kyle Lhose threads! :rolleyes:

Conspiracy theory time!

What if Scott Boras is trying to package Kyle Lohse along with Michael Bourn to the same team because losing a second round pick is worth significantly less than a first round pick? And right now he's talking to owners trying to see whose pocket he can pick, and Angelos is one of them? And what if we didn't sign Saunders because we are CLOSING IN ON A DEAL??

I don't actually believe this, but part of me is still...very...:drek::drek::drek::drek:

34538418.jpg

He. Is. An. Average. Pitcher.

His. R/L. Splits. Suck.

He. Is. Better. Suited. To. The. Bullpen.

I wouldn't complain if they had signed him but I am far from upset they didn't.

He is very average. Average you can count on, for 180+ innings. Something you can't say about any one of the Cavalry or Wada or Steve Johnson or Hunter or anyone else.

I'm kinda bummed.

He is very average. Average you can count on, for 180+ innings. Something you can't say about any one of the Cavalry or Wada or Steve Johnson or Hunter or anyone else.

I'm kinda bummed.

TJ McFarland.

J/K.

Now that I've had some time to reflect on it(both the Saunders situation and the offseason in general), I have to say I'm pretty blown away by the size and fortitude of DD's cajones- he took a 93 win playoff team coming off of it's first respectable season since Bill Clinton's saxophone echoed through the halls of the White House, and basically stood pat. I hope he made the right call because to casual fans and the talking heads of the sports media, the Honeymoon officially ends the first week of April. If the team falls flat on its face, Camden Yards will be right back to the ghost town it's been for years, and after attending the Cal statue game and game 1 of the ALDS and feeling an energy that I hadn't felt there since middle school, seeing that every night again would break my poor little heart.

TJ McFarland.

J/K.

Now that I've had some time to reflect on it(both the Saunders situation and the offseason in general), I have to say I'm pretty blown away by the size and fortitude of DD's cajones- he took a 93 win playoff team coming off of it's first respectable season since Bill Clinton's saxophone echoed through the halls of the White House, and basically stood pat. I hope he made the right call because to casual fans and the talking heads of the sports media, the Honeymoon officially ends the first week of April. If the team falls flat on its face, Camden Yards will be right back to the ghost town it's been for years, and after attending the Cal statue game and game 1 of the ALDS and feeling an energy that I hadn't felt there since middle school, seeing that every night again would break my poor little heart.

:agree: I feel the same way, but what more can we do now than just believe DD knows exactly what he is doing? It's worked so far...right? I mean I still had low expectations for last year in spite of how they finished '11. They proved us all wrong.

I was at those same games & several more like them, I want to be able to experience that again as well as let my kid be able to feel the same playoff/winning atmosphere there at Camden Yards. I do believe this team will only get better, quiet off season or not. They have had that taste of winning & hopefully it only made them hungrier for more. Hopefully, they can follow Maryland's path of first making it to the Final Four in '01 before winning it all in '02. Otherwise I'll be heartbroken right there with ya buddy.

Archived