TT: Arrieta takes lead in 5th starter competition

Tony-OH

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAKE ARRIETA O(vs. BLUE JAYS, 3/16) O(Spring Training)

IP:O 4

H:o. 3

R:O. 0

BB:. 2

SO:. 1

2013 ERA: 2.53 (Spring Training)

First pitcher to give up a bad start loses the job. You can tell these guys can sense it and are pitching for their lives.

It's like musical chairs out there... in a split second, someone is going to lose their job just like that.

First pitcher to give up a bad start loses the job. You can tell these guys can sense it and are pitching for their lives.

It's like musical chairs out there... in a split second, someone is going to lose their job just like that.

Jake came out for the 5th inning and got 2 outs, plus an error was made to start said inning, so he essentially wound up getting 15 outs on the day.

I deleted and re-posted his line when I saw that they were bringing him out for that 5th inning.

Jake came out for the 5th inning and got 2 outs, plus an error was made to start said inning, so he essentially wound up getting 15 outs on the day.

I deleted and re-posted his line when I saw that they were bringing him out for that 5th inning.

He faced a tougher lineup than did Britton but he didn't help himself with the walks. AGAIN. He got out of the trouble though. Meh....

Matusz/Britton

Jake

He faced a tougher lineup than did Britton but he didn't help himself with the walks. AGAIN. He got out of the trouble though. Meh....

Matusz/Britton

Jake

I hope we keep Matusz in the bullpen ...... not so much because I don't think that he can make it as a starter (I think he has the tools, it's just a matter of whether or not he'll be able to put it all together and apply them), but because he was so damned good out of the bullpen last year.

Matusz/Britton

Jake

I'm more of a Matusz fan than an Arrieta fan, but I'd say Jake improved his position today. The competition is fierce right now.

The 3 BB's trouble me. He just has to improve the command. Right now I think the best bet is to go with Matusz as the #5 and keep McFarland in the pen. That way if McFarland struggles we can send him back and either replace him with someone else, or move Matusz to the pen if he is struggling as well, and bring up one of Arrieta or Britton to be the #5. Why give up McFarland before we have to?

The 3 BB's trouble me. He just has to improve the command. Right now I think the best bet is to go with Matusz as the #5 and keep McFarland in the pen. That way if McFarland struggles we can send him back and either replace him with someone else, or move Matusz to the pen if he is struggling as well, and bring up one of Arrieta or Britton to be the #5. Why give up McFarland before we have to?

I didn't think so to begin with, but it seems the adjustment Adair made may have helped because he's been better.

I'm more partial to Arrieta than Matusz, but I think he did little to improve his standing today. The walks hurt. Although it's hard to know completely without seeing it.

I'm interested to hear what Buck has to say about it.

Matusz/Britton

Jake

Yeah, Arrieta has the TOR potential that not many have, BUT that only matters to a point. He can't have so many walks and throw so many balls. It's tough to watch a guy take over a game and dominate hitters one day, and then not be able to throw a strike the next time out.

I hope he puts it all together and realizes his full potential, but who knows if that'll ever happen.

I didn't think so to begin with, but it seems the adjustment Adair made may have helped because he's been better.

I'm more partial to Arrieta than Matusz, but I think he did little to improve his standing today. The walks hurt. Although it's hard to know completely without seeing it.

I'm interested to hear what Buck has to say about it.

It won't kill either Arrieta or Britton to go to Norfolk and wait their turn. Matusz has value to the club both as a SP and a RP. Since it is unlikely that he is going to struggle so badly from this point to merit being sent down, the best thing to do would be to give him a shot at the 5 spot IMO, and keep McFarland as long as he can be productive.

It won't kill either Arrieta or Britton to go to Norfolk and wait their turn. Matusz has value to the club both as a SP and a RP. Since it is unlikely that he is going to struggle so badly from this point to merit being sent down, the best thing to do would be to give him a shot at the 5 spot IMO, and keep McFarland as long as he can be productive.

They are stretching McFarland out so it would seem, making the two interchangeable. If Matusz falters maybe they give TJ a shot before they send him back. He's always worked as a starter.

They are stretching McFarland out so it would seem, making the two interchangeable. If Matusz falters maybe they give TJ a shot before they send him back. He's always worked as a starter.

I almost belief TJ has to fail at the ML level to be sent back instead of someone's option used. I know many clamored last season for Flaherty to be returned for a myriad of reasons. I think they will take an extended look at TJ.

I almost belief TJ has to fail at the ML level to be sent back instead of someone's option used. I know many clamored last season for Flaherty to be returned for a myriad of reasons. I think they will take an extended look at TJ.

The first part of your post doesn't make much sense. If TJ is kept, someone's option has to be used to get them off of the roster.

Most people didn't mind keep Flaherty until it was apparent we were competitive.

Yeah, Arrieta has the TOR potential that not many have.

Why does he have TOR potential? Because he can throw 95 at times? I'm very tired of good velocity being mistaken for TOR potential. I just recently posted the FB speeds of the top 15 in fWAR over the last three seasons, and there's only a mild correlation between velocity and being a TOR. There are TOR guys who throw under 90 mph like Jared Weaver, and a lot of TOR guys who throw softer than Arrieta.

In my opinion, Arrieta has no more TOR potential than Tillman, Britton or Matusz.

Archived