TT: Arrieta takes lead in 5th starter competition

Tony-OH

Nice post. I hadn't seen this. I'll take him at his word also. But it happened a bunch of times. So is that a mental thing, not adjusting? Whatever it is, when he needed to throw a strike he was doing it.

Which is impressive if you think about it. Especially for him. For instance, he decides to go out on that particular day and throw FP breaking balls as something to work on, gets behind but has such good command that he comes back everytime that day (except for the two hits) and gets an out.

If someone were to describe that about a pitcher, not many people would fill in the blank with Jake Arrieta.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is this: two pitchers can't pitch 5 innings in the same game. So, when you get to the part of spring training where you want your starters stretched out to 5+ IP to be ready for the season, you kind of have to decide who that's going to be. You can fudge it a little by sending some guys to pitch in MiL spring training, but I think when there are 10 spring training games left to play, they manager has to have a pretty good idea of what his Opening Day rotation is going to be so that the tentative top five will get the innings they need to be prepared.

They still have 4 split squad games scheduled. That should help a little with spreading some inning around. None of them are in that last week of ST though.

Personally, I like Steve in the long relief role, which is why Hunter may end up expendable. I just get the feeling that the Orioles don't trust him in the 5th starter's role. His numbers last year say he should definitely be a candidate, but his track record inthe minors suggests he'll come back down to earth this year. Saying that, Johnson still has a chance for the rotation, but I think Arrieta and Britton will have to lose the job rather than Johnson winning the job.

Timing for S. Johnson could not be better as #4 or #5/long relief. He not only has the "want to" Buck talks about, he throws strikes. Could fade like father eventually did, but "get it while he's got it!". May not get the 5 years in, for vesting, but I hope he does. (Think Travis Driscoll and his 10 year minor league struggle to the majors.)...... I want him to be OPACY opening day pitcher. Pressure does not bother him and he (and his father) have earned this opportunity. Rare commodity - MD boy does it (like Dad).

Course I think Lew Ford is earning a spot with his "want to," and BB savy (SB's etc.) but some would rather watch Nolan disappoint.

I'm sure many disagree, but the game and O's need these "stories" to keep fan interest rising.!!

Struck out for the first time this spring, thanks to the [steve Johnson's] invisaball....right down the middle #canthitit

- Kyle Hudson's Twitter

Now Kyle Hudson is a career minor leaguer, but I think the whole invisiball thing is interesting. What is it about his delivery that creates such ridiculous deception on his fastball? Trayvon Robinson mentioned it too

It's obviously unusual enough if its being referred to like that by other professional ballplayers.

- Kyle Hudson's Twitter

Now Kyle Hudson is a career minor leaguer, but I think the whole invisiball thing is interesting. What is it about his delivery that creates such ridiculous deception on his fastball? Trayvon Robinson mentioned it too

It's obviously unusual enough if its being referred to like that by other professional ballplayers.

It really would be interesting to see his mechanics broken down with Peterson's biomechanical analysis system and see why he gets so much deception. I wonder if he was evaluated by Peterson?

Steve Johnson tossed four scoreless innings in Tuesday's intrasquad game. He gave up a couple hits - doubles by Wilson Betemit and Nolan Reimold. He also retired Reimold twice. He's starting Sunday against the Minnesota Twins in Sarasota.

He only threw two innings last time out. Same as Matusz, the time before last night. Off of last nights' performance, I'd say Matusz has the lead. All Britton needs to do, is something similar to be right there with the rest of them. You could say he's fallen behind but it's like a hair behind.

Fair enough, there is plenty of time for any of the 4 to grab hold of the spot.

Also, it's been a while since Tillman pitched. That's something to keep an eye on, as there may be two spots open.

Arrieta, 4 first pitch strikes to 14 hitters and about 50% ball to strike ratio. I'm not buying it.

Exactly. And I'm sure as hell not buying the "throwing first pitch breaking stuff, but being able to pound the FB in the strike zone at will." Or, the more ridiculous "Wieters makes him throw strikes" argument.

If you read RVA's report, he said that Arrieta was getting some questionable strike 3 calls. Buck wasn't very impressed either.

It really would be interesting to see his mechanics broken down with Peterson's biomechanical analysis system and see why he gets so much deception. I wonder if he was evaluated by Peterson?

DocShorebird is going to ask him on Friday for us.

Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Johnson, AND Jurrjens. I'm telling you, Jurrjens is not out of this YET! Jurrjens was one out away from a good outing, then he pitched well in the intrasqad game. If he's decent his next time oiut in a real game, he's in the mix as well.

Agreed. All five of these guys are in the running at this point. From my standpoint, this "round" of the competition ends Friday night after Britton's start, and then the next round beginning Saturday becomes really important. We're starting to get to the part of spring training where a lot of the hitters who aren't seriously in competition to make teams get sent down to minor league camp. The pitchers aren't as rusty, they're being asked to try to go 5 innings, and the lineups they're facing are better. I'll really start paying attention this weekend.

Archived